Archive for Sunday, February 13, 2011

Jayhawks good, entertaining, too

February 13, 2011

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self

Kansas coach Bill Self talks to reporters following the Jayhawks' 89-66 victory over Iowa State on Feb. 12, 2011.

KU vs. Iowa State

Kansas players Tyshawn Taylor, Marcus Morris and Jeff Withey addressed the media after defeating Iowa State on Saturday, Feb. 12, 2011 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Less than a year ago, as he was discussing in his plush office what he looks for in players when deciding whether to offer them a scholarship, Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self addressed the human aspect of the athletes.

“What fits me are personalities,” Self said. “I don’t like coaching duds, I’ll be the first to tell you. Give me a guy you can joke with and have some fun with. That’s one reason I love coaching the twins. They’re really funny. They’ll say things during games that crack me up. I like guys with personality and (who) are a little rough around the edges.”

Sometimes, the Morris twins and Tyshawn Taylor, the liveliest personalities on a colorful team, even say funny things during postgame news conferences. Saturday, after a ho-hum, 89-66 obliteration of Iowa State, was one such day.

They’re never dull, which usually, not always, but usually, is a good thing that adds to their appeal.

The line of questioning had just turned to Monday’s trip to Manhattan to take on Kansas State, a basketball team that transformed into a drama-packed reality show somewhere along the way, rife with suspensions and defections. Taylor was asked: Has he followed the drama?

“I mean, I’m not like on my computer looking it up, but it’s on ESPN a lot, so I see it, and I notice it. People tell us about it, so it’s hard not to know what’s going on, but I mean, my name scrolled across the bottom of ESPN a couple times, too, so I mean, they’ll be fine,” Taylor said with a smile, remembering his days of football fights and Facebook posts. “They’re going through some stuff like most teams do.”

He showed he can laugh at himself and wasn’t about to laugh at K-State for what it has experienced just one season after making it to the Elite Eight with underclassmen doing most of the heavy lifting.

Taylor had reason to be in such a light-hearted mood. He had just played a terrific game, preventing Iowa State star Diante Garrett from penetrating and basically making him a complete nonfactor. Unlike in his previous two games, Taylor also stopped rushing his floater shots and produced 14 points on 6-of-11 shooting, four of the misses on three-pointers.

Marcus Morris, fresh off a dominant, stat-stuffing performance that included 16 points and 11 rebounds, also entertained the audience during the postgame media session. He teamed with Kansas State star Jacob Pullen on a national team during the summer, forming a friendship that has led them to stay in regular contact.

“He’s just a good friend,” Marcus said of Pullen. “We talk about our years. We talk about our coaches.”

At that point, Morris tried and failed to contain his laughter. Some, but not all, of his mischievous grin was inspired by the image of volcanic K-State coach Frank Martin popping into his head.

“We talk about a lot of stuff,” Morris continued. “I don’t say anything bad. But I just talk about his coaches. He talks about how Frank is. I talk about the difference between them (Martin and Self). We just compare our coaches. I tell him coach (Self) just doesn’t do it as much on the court as Frank does. Frank is just so emotional on the court, but coach Self, he waits until we get behind closed doors. That’s when he do what he do.”

The next voice belonged to press-conference moderator Chris Theisen, the athletic department’s sports information director.

“All right guys, thanks so much,” Theisen said, signaling the end to the session.

Whatever it is Self does “when he do what he do,” with colorful language delivered at high volume, it works. For the first time this season, Kansas likely will be ranked No. 1 when the polls are released Monday, putting an end to Ohio State’s four-week run that followed Duke’s 10-week stay on top.

Kansas (24-1) spent most of last season ranked No. 1 in the nation and then lost its best player, Sherron Collins, plus a pair of NBA lottery selections, Cole Aldrich and Xavier Henry. KU is 57-4 in the past two seasons, a record compiled using just one player (Collins in 36 of those games) who played more than four minutes of the 45-minute national-title victory against Memphis in 2008. That’s no joke.

Comments

Alceste 4 years, 2 months ago

Uh huh.....a ball bouncing on the floor is entertainment. Right. I'm gonna wait until it is released in paperback form. Thanks for the tip.

monkeyspunk 4 years, 2 months ago

Lamest comment ever. Pretty much up to par for you though.

Alceste 4 years, 2 months ago

Oh, a good, cutting edge play....something that is not possible to be seen in Lawrence, Kansas.....or, perhaps, how about a redo of Drinking in America by Eric Bogosian (yeah....he did most excellent stuff once...): http://theater.nytimes.com/mem/theater/treview.html?res=9A0DEFDE1539F932A15752C0A960948260

Or maybe something by Athol Fugard like "Bloodknot" or even Ronald Ribman's "The Poison Tree".

Then we'll step over to a decent club and here The Hives or maybe Jimmy Thackery or Buddy Guy.

Ya know, Boz.....the low brow stuff.....

Alceste 4 years, 2 months ago

Disclaimer: These "eraser" sharp observations and deductions may be illusory,hallucinatory, the product of a profligate delusional husk, a Mekong and Guaro riddled wastrel,and a mere cut above those available in the New York Times.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 2 months ago

So why don't you spend your time commenting on plays/play reviews rather than articles on BB games?

And just for the record-- I wish we could transfer just a little of the money spent on major college sports to the theater department.

But I still like to watch BB.

Alceste 4 years, 2 months ago

I do spend time commenting on current plays on both coasts as well as Chicago.

And just for the record, if wishes were horses, beggars would ride; If rocks were molassas we'd eat 'til we die.

Lawrence: How low brow do you want it? We can and DO do that; ain't that right, Boz?!

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 2 months ago

I tried posting twice on this, but it didn't take for some reason.'

Anyway, different strokes, Alceste. Some of us just aren't capable of being as high-brow as you.

Alceste 4 years, 2 months ago

Well, Boz, you're dealin' with a 5th generation Lawrence homie who has had the benefit of being all over the world, including 2 combat tours in Viet Nam. As soon as I can dump the rest of our holdings here, we're out of here. We'd much rather deal with big time corruption than the nickle and dimes we put up with on a daily basis. Lawrence, Kansas sux. That's all there is to it....might as well be Yeehaw, Kentucky. To heck with "Jayhawk Country".

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 2 months ago

Well, I hope that grass really is greener (even if it's Kentucky blue.)

Alceste 4 years, 2 months ago

Who needs "grass" other than the stuff of Kaw Valley Hemp Picker stories?

College athletics be damned. College theatre in Kansas be damned. College "arts" in Kansas be damned. It's all one big cess pool. Any person that refuses to see the forest for the trees and wants to prattle on about the "sacking" of Lawrence by Quantril, or how "progressive" this community is can go sit on a tack.

Make your money and get the hades out of Dodge.....er....Lawrence.....; it's just another HICK college town. PERIOD.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 4 years, 2 months ago

Things are looking up in Egypt. Maybe you should try that out.

Alceste 4 years, 2 months ago

Actually, I was thinking you yourself might want to go check out the "revolution" in Egypt and report back given you Suzi Creamcheese perspective about life here in MY town. Let me know how that works out for you.

Alceste 4 years, 2 months ago

rtwngr 4 years, 2 months ago

If all you see is a ball bouncing on the floor, don't bother with the paperback version. You won't get the plot.

Alceste 4 years, 2 months ago

...that's the point and why that bouncing ball is mindless pablum for the masses......there is no plot......send me a memo when Google books has it on line.....yawn

FarneyMac 4 years, 2 months ago

So erudite! So witty!

What a moron. And if you're restricting your reading selections to Google Books, you're not as smart as you think, bub.

Alceste 4 years, 2 months ago

I don't read google books....that's why I'd like to see KU basketball relegated to google books so idiots will go there and run up the hit count. My stock dividends from Google need to go up as does the value of the stock. More hits, more money. Call me Lew Perkins, Jr.! hahahahahahahaa

Alceste 4 years, 2 months ago

Betcha watch Steve Wilcos and his buddy, Jerry Springer though! Mindless pablum for the masses....

bisky1 4 years, 2 months ago

am us fans sposed to be insulted hear

justforfun 4 years, 2 months ago

No, but you should be embarrassed by you sentence structure.