Archive for Thursday, August 25, 2011

Injury accidents gnarl traffic on three highways

KHP closes K-10 for 6 hours

Douglas County Sheriff's officers and Eudora law enforcement work to free a driver from a Penny's concrete truck that overturned on Kansas Highway 10 late Thursday afternoon. The accident delayed traffic for more than three hours.

August 25, 2011, 3:47 p.m. Updated August 26, 2011, 12:16 a.m.

One person was flown by helicopter ambulance after a rollover accident on I-70

One person suffered serious injuries after a rollover accident on the Kansas Turnpike near Lecompton on Thursday. It was the first of three serious accidents in Douglas County on Thursday. Enlarge video

One person seriously injured in motorcycle accident on 24/40

A motocycle accident at the Leavenworth-Douglas county line sent two people to the hospital on Thursday, Aug. 25, 2011. Douglas County Sheriffs' deputies and Kansas Highway Patrol troopers worked the accident, near the intersection of U.S. Highway 24/40 and Kansas Highway 32. Enlarge video

Douglas County Sheriff's deputies worked with Kansas Highway Patrol troopers and emergency personnel from Eudora and Lawrence to free a truck driver for Penny's Concrete from his rig about 4:30 p.m. on Thursday Aug. 25, 2011 near the Eudora exit on Kansas Highway 10 after it overturned, pinning him inside. The driver was flown by helicopter ambulance to an area hospital.

The second of three serious accidents on Thursday, Aug. 25, 2011 involved a car-motorcycle accident on U.S. Highway 24/40 near the Douglas-Leavenworth county line about 3 p.m. Two people were transported to area hospitals.

A Ford Mustang is pulled from a ditch along the Kansas Turnpike on Thursday, Aug. 25, 2011. Emergency crews were investigating an accident that involved two cars in the eastbound lane. Traffic was stopped just west of East 600 Road to allow a LifeStar helicopter to land on the road.

All lanes of Kansas Highway 10 near Eudora were reopened shortly after 10:15 p.m. after the Kansas Highway Patrol's commercial vehicle accident reconstruction team investigated a serious accident from earlier Thursday afternoon.

The highway was closed for more than six hours.

The accident was just the last of three accidents reported in Douglas County between 3 and 4:15 p.m. Helicopter ambulances were requested for all three. The other two accidents were on the Kansas Turnpike west of Lecompton and on U.S. Highway 24/40 near the Douglas-Leavenworth county line.

In the K-10 accident, a cement mixer blew a tire, causing the driver, identified as 44-year-old Tonganoxie resident Richard Vandruff, to lose control of the vehicle, according to a report from the KHP. Vandruff swerved onto the north shoulder of westbound K-10 before veering back across the lanes onto the median, where the vehicle then rolled before coming to rest on its side. Vandruff was trapped in his truck for more than 30 minutes while Lawrence Douglas County Fire Medical tried to rescue him. He was taken to a regional trauma center for treatment.

K-10 was closed both eastbound and westbound to give emergency officials room to work.

Earlier accidents included a car-motorcycle accident at milemarker 397 on U.S. Highway 24/40, shortly after 3:30 p.m. One person had critical injuries, and at least one other person had sustained unknown, less serious injuries.

According to a report from the Kansas Highway Patrol, the accident occurred when the vehicle in front of the motorcycle stopped suddenly. The driver and passenger on the motorcycle, identified as Manhattan residents Donald H. Burnett, 63, and Doreen H. Burnett, 65, were thrown from the vehicle when Donald attempted to brake.

Donald Burnett was to be taken by LifeStar helicopter to KU Hospital, however another accident was reported at the same time and the helicopter was dispatched to that accident instead. The KHP report lists both patients as being transported to KU Hospital and LMH, respectively. Nursing supervisors at each location had no additional information on the patients' conditions Thursday night. The report states neither patient was wearing a helmet at the time of the accident.

The investigation into the accident is pending.

The third accident was reported in the eastbound lanes of the Kansas Turnpike, just west of the Lecompton interchange.

According to a report from the Kansas Turnpike Authority, the first vehicle, driven by 29-year-old Fort Riley resident Eugene Hookano Pok Riddick II, lost control and struck the side of the second vehicle. Both vehicles crossed over all lanes of traffic, with the second vehicle rolling and coming to rest on its passenger side. The driver and passenger in the second vehicle, identified as Florida couple Robert and Joyce Berkoski, were transported to an area hospital with unknown injuries.

Riddick II was also transported to an area hospital after his vehicle came to rest in the south ditch.

A LifeStar helicopter was called to assist in patient transportation. The Turnpike was closed briefly to allow the helicopter to land on the road, but has since reopened.

No additional information regarding the condition of the three injured in the accident was available Thursday evening.

With the K-10 accident, a Hazmat response was also requested, because of spilled fuel and cement on the road. Additional information regarding the cause of the K-10 accident was not immediately available Thursday night. KHP is expected to release a report with the findings of the investigation.

Check back to LJWorld.com for updates.

Comments

mommy_n_me 2 years, 7 months ago

I would like to see a story about all the motorcycle accidents that have happened this past week, to month!!!!! Motorcycles are everywhere in this whether and I personally know of 3 accidents involving motorcycles that my husband towed!! Maybe alittle piece on motorcycle awareness!!!!

Ewok79 2 years, 7 months ago

I got a soloution to a the kaos that goes on daily along K-10. The city of Lawrence should create more jobs, other than fast food & low paying jobs such as Lowe's. Then we wouldn't have to risk death daily on K-10...............Just a thought.

08Champs 2 years, 7 months ago

Drove K10 today and the strip of tire from the Penny's truck is laying by the side of the road just waiting to be hit. Clean up on aisle 10!

Flap Doodle 2 years, 7 months ago

Where's Mr. Pontification to scold us for our car-centered culture?

justanotherface 2 years, 7 months ago

Both motorcycle victims weren't wearing a helmet. When will people learn...

haggisgirl 2 years, 7 months ago

I'm a little confused because the article says "The report states neither patient was wearing a helmet at the time of the accident" and yet there is a helmet clearly in the picture next to the man being attended by the EMT's. I realize it could have flown off the motorcycle in the collision but it seems odd that it ended up so close to the driver.

FishandGame 2 years, 7 months ago

I assume that EMS is in charge of calling a helicopter? or making the decision to transport to LMH....

Helicopters are called far too often, when patient's can receive life saving, stabilizing care right here in Lawrence!!!

Get the Helicopter!!! Call the Helicopter! Convenient way to punt the case out of town....

I would like to have a news story reviewing and investigating this protocol. Helicopter flights are extremely expensive and retrospectively often are not covered by insurance.

Paul Gottesburen 2 years, 7 months ago

JK, the caption on the cement truck video is incorrect. I doubt the SO or Eudora PD did much in the way of trying to free the driver. They tend to leave things like that up to the FD, in this case LDCFM and Eudora Fire/Twp.

kernal 2 years, 7 months ago

jhawkinsf, I'm not clear on how a blown tire is the fault of the cement truck's driver. It may be the fault of whoever maintains those trucks for Penny Concrete, but I'm really not sure why it would be the driver's fault.

thuja 2 years, 7 months ago

I think it is good for people to be reminded of the conveniences that we take for granted. I'm not saying I'm glad these people crashed.

Everyone should walk or bike to work one day, even if you work in KC, just to make it apparent how tenuously our society balances upon such things as dependence on car travel. Or electricity. Or having all the food you need at a store.

You'll see how far it really is, and how much energy it takes to get there. It isn't a "half hour away". It is thirty, forty miles.

See how hard it is to cart your butt up a big hill that you can't go around. See how much energy it actually takes to do a load of wash.

Why did you drive to KC again? Was it necessary?

none2 2 years, 7 months ago

Traffic was horrible today. I did notice several highway patrol vehicles this morning. On the way home, I was warned about Eudora, but I wanted to find out for myself, so I called 511. Their info was pathetic. Nothing about a serious accident and to avoid K-10 between Eudora & Lawrence if at all possible. So much for the automated system that said it was updated at 5:45pm. I was lucky in that I got off at the east exit to Eudora. Eudora residents had to put up for a lot during all of this.

Accidents aside, leaving Johnson County today was almost bumper to bumper until about a mile east of the K-7 interchange. Then it let up just a tad bit but was still heavy until further west past Kill Creek Rd.

I'm surprised there isn't some fool on here complaining about the left lane not being left open so they could pass everybody in the left lane because they are SO special and it is the law. Traffic was so heavy that both lanes were full of slowed down drivers.

persevering_gal 2 years, 7 months ago

I just made it back to Lawrence after moving 1 mile in 45 minutes. I saw 2 helicopters leaving the area around 5:30-5:45 (don't quote me on that). A few decided to turn around on the roads in the median and drive through Eudora. Traffic was backed up slightly past the Eudora exit when I decided to turn around. However, the traffic through Eudora was pretty congested. I hope everyone is OK.

George_Braziller 2 years, 7 months ago

I wonder if this was the same cement truck busting ass west on 23rd Street this morning about 11:30. I was at 23rd and Mass turning north and I even commented to my passenger that I had never seen a cement truck move that fast.

I had the light but there was no way that truck at that speed would be able to even slow down for a yellow light. It was on it's way through the intersection.

blindrabbit 2 years, 7 months ago

kroberts: The reason I use K-32.

akt2 2 years, 7 months ago

It's bumper to bumper starting at Noria headed east clear thru Eudora.

gsxr600 2 years, 7 months ago

At least this wasn't during a shift change for the lifestar pilots when none were dispatched like previous stories.

Jean Robart 2 years, 7 months ago

sheesh--I have to go to Kansas City tomorrow morning--guess who isn't taking K10

Keith Richards 2 years, 7 months ago

Seeing how about 90 people die in car accidents every day in the US, it has been ridiculous for a long, long time.

In 1980 it was much higher, about 140 deaths per day. Considering the much higher population, more vehicles on the road, faster speed limits, and more distractions, I consider the improvement remarkable.

dumbkansans 2 years, 7 months ago

prayers to those involved in the accident.

katekilla 2 years, 7 months ago

I'm not religious, and even I know the answer to this is to pray for everyone's safety. (not judge the drivers).

Sounds like a scary day in Lawrence.

bklonnie 2 years, 7 months ago

I'm sure bozo will be along to tell us that all 3 accidents were caused solely by "speed".

Anyways, hopefully everyone is alright and makes it through.

meggers 2 years, 7 months ago

Do they have more than one helicopter they can dispatch?

I understand the need to divert the first one if the other person was more seriously injured, but it sounds like the person in the first accident was in pretty bad shape, too.

In any case, I hope everyone recovers. That's a lot of tragedy in a short period of time.

LawrenceWildcat 2 years, 7 months ago