Archive for Thursday, August 25, 2011

Police plan DUI check lane Friday evening in Lawrence

August 25, 2011

As part of an ongoing effort to remove drunken drivers from the road, Lawrence police will conduct a DUI check lane in the city during the evening hours on Friday, according to Lawrence Police Sgt. Matt Sarna.

Also, the Lawrence Police Department and the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office are participating in special enforcement that runs through Sept. 5. Officers will be on the lookout for impaired drivers, speeding and adult and child-restraint violations.

The Kansas Department of Transportation has announced special funding for overtime to allow law enforcement officers across the state to increase patrols to detect drunken drivers before, during and after Labor Day weekend.

Comments

thuja 2 years, 7 months ago

People, they're the worst.

thebigspoon 2 years, 7 months ago

Actually, and correct me if I'm wrong, anyone in the know, but I believe they have to stop vehicles in a certain pattern, i.e., every third or sixth or something such as that. This seems to satisfy the "entrapment" rules as set out by the courts.

Course, one could refrain from driving while or after drinking, and not have to worry about the expense, loss of freedom, and embarrassment of being stopped in the first place.

Also, better have current rregistration, insurance information, and license in your possession at the time, because those things, as well as evidence of drug use, including odor, concealed weapons without permit, or anything else you don't want found are fair game in a traffic stop.

Kris_H 2 years, 7 months ago

All the abortion in the world doesn't excuse you drunk drivers. Did I strike a nerve there, eh?

Kris_H 2 years, 7 months ago

Here's hoping all you drunk drivers get caught tonight before you kill someone.

I hate every one of you. It's not "just a mistake," it's intentional attempted homicide as far as I'm concerned if you get behind the wheel impaired.

Ricky_Vaughn 2 years, 7 months ago

Unconstitutional. Stopping drivers for what reason exactly? No reason, just stopping everyone.

boxers_or_briefs 2 years, 7 months ago

All these comments are making me thirsty.

CWGOKU 2 years, 7 months ago

Now Helen Keller drunk driving jokes, totally unacceptable

CWGOKU 2 years, 7 months ago

Yes, drinking and driving is horribly wrong. That is so obvious. So relax with the jokes. Go eat a bran muffin cheeseburger and relax. Sheesh. One of my brothers was nearly killed by a drunk driver, he is lucky to be alive. He read these funny comments earlier today and laughed.

KU_Dude 2 years, 7 months ago

Relax people. It's only drinking and driving if you get caught and I always drink beer out of a bottle with a screw on cap to avoid an open container violation anyways.

Multidisciplinary 2 years, 7 months ago

With all the bad attitudes, you'd think it was Tues or Weds, not Friday. Oh, I get it, With the hurricane, there must be a shortage of batteries in KS for sarcas-o-meters! Or has Brownback screwed those too?

killfloor 2 years, 7 months ago

This is entrapment! I don't hurt anybody when I drink and drive. Darn coppers

classclown 2 years, 7 months ago

Hoots (anonymous) replies…

Actually, he's correct on the reaction time. People texting take 4 times as long to react compared to someone intoxicated. Scary but true. The results of the studies I've seen make drunk driving look like a good idea in comparison to texting. One of the studies even said don't think these results suggest drunk driving isn't that bad. It's just that texting and driving is so much worse.

===================================

Does he slow reaction time reflect the idiots tweeting their situation as it occurs?

.......

@ everyone OMG!!! just got PWNED! major driving FAIL!!! car outa control LOL! gotta go. brb.

Carrie Coffey 2 years, 7 months ago

I don't know if anyone else has seen or noticed that the police officers in cars patroling are texting and talking on phones too! This is not good and gives people the wrong impression. Oh but all the new students in town, I can totally see why we need a checkpoint out. I am sure some kids will get pulled over just because they don't know how to drive, period!

tange 2 years, 7 months ago

If I'm gonna have a long wait in a check lane, then I'm gonna need a six pack.

Vinny1 2 years, 7 months ago

Or how about instead of wasting time/money on this they just situate the cops already on patrol along mass st. You see people struggling to walk to/get into their car you got em. They never even hit the road. You also have probably cause.

And instead of people driving and driving further just to avoid the checkpoint location (which they announce at bars) you prevent drunks from even getting in their car in the first place by having cops standing there watching.

ralphralph 2 years, 7 months ago

I'm waiting from them to change the roadside "portable marquee" signs from " Don't Drive Drunk" to "Don't Drive Distracted" so people will look up from there cell phones to read the signs, then crash.

begin60 2 years, 7 months ago

Overtime equals gravy train! I'm no fan of drunk drivers though.

true_patriot 2 years, 7 months ago

Why don't we stage checkpoints like this for texting while driving? Studies confirm that it distracts the driver quadruply as much as driving while legally intoxicated, so we should actually be conducting four times as many monitoring situations for texting as for drinking and driving.

A checkpoint for texting would have to be different than the kind for drinking, since texting you can just stop doing if you know you're going to be checked, but the same isn't true for being intoxicated. Perhaps some sort of a location with a good vantage point over slow-moving and frequently-stopped traffic where police use binoculars to identify people texting while driving then radio that ahead to officers that do the arrest further down the line.

UNIKU 2 years, 7 months ago

Anyone who is arrested will clearly be framed!!!! Right? Because local LE are mean and baaaad!!

CWGOKU 2 years, 7 months ago

It would really help people like me out if they could also specify the times and locations as well.