Archive for Thursday, August 25, 2011

Police plan DUI check lane Friday evening in Lawrence

August 25, 2011

As part of an ongoing effort to remove drunken drivers from the road, Lawrence police will conduct a DUI check lane in the city during the evening hours on Friday, according to Lawrence Police Sgt. Matt Sarna.

Also, the Lawrence Police Department and the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office are participating in special enforcement that runs through Sept. 5. Officers will be on the lookout for impaired drivers, speeding and adult and child-restraint violations.

The Kansas Department of Transportation has announced special funding for overtime to allow law enforcement officers across the state to increase patrols to detect drunken drivers before, during and after Labor Day weekend.

Comments

CWGOKU 3 years, 9 months ago

It would really help people like me out if they could also specify the times and locations as well.

lmb 3 years, 9 months ago

People like you who plan to drive drunk and just want to know what streets to avoid?

he_who_knows_all 3 years, 9 months ago

I'm sure CW's comment was a joke. And how are you more mature by coming on here anonymously and calling him names? Would you say things like that to him face to face?

killfloor 3 years, 9 months ago

hahaha successful troll is successful

WHY 3 years, 9 months ago

Stupid and misdirected would be better descriptors. The grunts at the end of a long line of ignorant government policy brought to you by your neighbors who vote for morons.

true_patriot 3 years, 9 months ago

Why don't we stage checkpoints like this for texting while driving? Studies confirm that it distracts the driver quadruply as much as driving while legally intoxicated, so we should actually be conducting four times as many monitoring situations for texting as for drinking and driving.

A checkpoint for texting would have to be different than the kind for drinking, since texting you can just stop doing if you know you're going to be checked, but the same isn't true for being intoxicated. Perhaps some sort of a location with a good vantage point over slow-moving and frequently-stopped traffic where police use binoculars to identify people texting while driving then radio that ahead to officers that do the arrest further down the line.

Hoots 3 years, 9 months ago

Actually, he's correct on the reaction time. People texting take 4 times as long to react compared to someone intoxicated. Scary but true. The results of the studies I've seen make drunk driving look like a good idea in comparison to texting. One of the studies even said don't think these results suggest drunk driving isn't that bad. It's just that texting and driving is so much worse.

Ewok79 3 years, 9 months ago

Strangley it sounds like a great idea. I see people texting & driving all the time. It's espeially scary when they're drive down K-10 at 80Mph while swerving in the lanes. Give them tickets, before they kill somebody.

troll 3 years, 9 months ago

I think the police with binoculars radio'ing ahead is more a speed-trap scenario, a "texting trap" if you will. I think a proper texting checkpoint scenario would be setting up the checkpoint which makes every car stop, the office will ask the driver if they have been texting while driving, perhaps the driver says "no", then the officer asks if they have a phone in the car or says "I thought I saw the light of an lcd display in your car while you were pulling up" and so now has cause to search the car. If the officer finds a cell phone, they now have reason to believe the person was texting and driving and will ask the driver to submit to a text history search on the phone, if the driver refuses, then they will automatically use their license for one year, of course at that point the officer can ask a judge for a warrant to perform the search anyway. If the phone shows text messages within the past 20 minutes of when the person was stopped, then they will be cited for texting while driving (TWD), and this includes just receiving texts too, does not require for any text to actually be sent from the phone, because a driver only has to look at a text to be distracted.

begin60 3 years, 9 months ago

Overtime equals gravy train! I'm no fan of drunk drivers though.

ralphralph 3 years, 9 months ago

I'm waiting from them to change the roadside "portable marquee" signs from " Don't Drive Drunk" to "Don't Drive Distracted" so people will look up from there cell phones to read the signs, then crash.

Vinny1 3 years, 9 months ago

Or how about instead of wasting time/money on this they just situate the cops already on patrol along mass st. You see people struggling to walk to/get into their car you got em. They never even hit the road. You also have probably cause.

And instead of people driving and driving further just to avoid the checkpoint location (which they announce at bars) you prevent drunks from even getting in their car in the first place by having cops standing there watching.

FarneyMac 3 years, 9 months ago

You can't arrest someone for drunk driving before they drive drunk. You're not a fascist, are you?

Also, the money for checkpoints comes from grants specifically for DUI checkpoints - no local money is used, but the money MUST be used for DUI checkpoints....not for patrolling downtown for intent to drive. Fascist.

mrbig 3 years, 9 months ago

This is true. The keys must be outside of the vehicle to not get a DUI.

CloveK 3 years, 9 months ago

Yup. I've seen this before. All you need is the intent and the keys to be in the vehicle. I've also heard of people getting off by throwing the keys out the window.

killfloor 3 years, 9 months ago

tange just made my day with that comment.

MarcoPogo 3 years, 9 months ago

I thought the six pack comment was pathetic too. Waiting in lines calls for a mixed drink.

MarcoPogo 3 years, 9 months ago

I didn't say one word about drunk driving. I said that waiting in lines sucks.

killfloor 3 years, 9 months ago

Hey cheeseburger, slowly pull the stick out of your arse........not to quick though, you might get a splinter

classclown 3 years, 9 months ago

Hoots (anonymous) replies…

===================================

Does he slow reaction time reflect the idiots tweeting their situation as it occurs?

.......

@ everyone OMG!!! just got PWNED! major driving FAIL!!! car outa control LOL! gotta go. brb.

killfloor 3 years, 9 months ago

This is entrapment! I don't hurt anybody when I drink and drive. Darn coppers

KU_Dude 3 years, 9 months ago

Relax people. It's only drinking and driving if you get caught and I always drink beer out of a bottle with a screw on cap to avoid an open container violation anyways.

Ricky_Vaughn 3 years, 9 months ago

Unconstitutional. Stopping drivers for what reason exactly? No reason, just stopping everyone.

Kris_H 3 years, 9 months ago

Here's hoping all you drunk drivers get caught tonight before you kill someone.

I hate every one of you. It's not "just a mistake," it's intentional attempted homicide as far as I'm concerned if you get behind the wheel impaired.

Cant_have_it_both_ways 3 years, 9 months ago

All you pro abortion people... I hate you. Its not just a mistake, its intentional homicide as far as I'm concerned. Blah, blah, blah...

Kris_H 3 years, 9 months ago

All the abortion in the world doesn't excuse you drunk drivers. Did I strike a nerve there, eh?

Cant_have_it_both_ways 3 years, 9 months ago

No, no nerve, its just typical of those who look down their snoots at other people, when in reality they should keep their nose in their own damned business.

That guy that had a few drinks had zero intent on killing someone, on the other hand, that woman that went into the abortion clinic had every intent of killing someone. One gets screwed over by the system on a what if, the other gets nothing.

Did "I" strike a nerve there?

Kris_H 3 years, 9 months ago

I've never had an abortion.

I don't drive after drinking, either.

My nose is exactly where it belongs, it's you who ASSumes you have some inherent right to drink and drive, which you do not.

thebigspoon 3 years, 9 months ago

Actually, and correct me if I'm wrong, anyone in the know, but I believe they have to stop vehicles in a certain pattern, i.e., every third or sixth or something such as that. This seems to satisfy the "entrapment" rules as set out by the courts.

Course, one could refrain from driving while or after drinking, and not have to worry about the expense, loss of freedom, and embarrassment of being stopped in the first place.

Also, better have current rregistration, insurance information, and license in your possession at the time, because those things, as well as evidence of drug use, including odor, concealed weapons without permit, or anything else you don't want found are fair game in a traffic stop.