Archive for Thursday, August 25, 2011

Attorneys challenge Guy Neighbors’ mental competence ruling for trial

August 25, 2011

Attorneys for both sides are asking a federal judge to declare Guy Neighbors, an owner of the former Yellow House Store in Lawrence, mentally competent to stand trial in the three cases he faces.

According to a joint motion filed by the prosecution and defense, the request comes after a second psychiatrist, Dr. John H. Wisner at Kansas University Hospital, evaluated Neighbors and “took exception” to findings by Dr. Robert Lucking, a psychiatrist at the Bureau of Prisons Federal Medical Center in Butner, N.C., that Neighbors was not competent to stand trial. Wisner found that Neighbors does not suffer from a mental disease or defect which affects or diminishes his ability to understand charges against him or to assist in his own defense.

Neighbors, 53, earlier this year won an appeal over a similar issue when a 10th Circuit Court of Appeals panel sent his case back to U.S. District Judge Carlos Murguia’s court and ruled Murguia needed to hold a formal hearing supported by U.S. Supreme Court precedent to be able to give an order to involuntarily medicate Neighbors.

In the main case against Neighbors, federal prosecutors accuse him of selling stolen goods, mostly on eBay, from the former secondhand store, 1904 Mass. His wife, Carrie Neighbors, 50, in January was sentenced to serve eight years in prison after a jury in 2010 convicted her in the case. She is appealing that verdict.

Attorneys now are asking Murguia on Monday to instead schedule a trial for Guy Neighbors in the case.

Comments

somebodynew 3 years, 3 months ago

Better run to the store for more popcorn and soda pop. This could be a long one. I don't know, but somehow I think certain people will miss one line in this story "....joint motion by prosecution and defense....". Or maybe I am just missing the big conspiracy by the gov't in this part?????

somebodynew 3 years, 3 months ago

Whoa !!! Did everybody sleep in today??

sr80 3 years, 3 months ago

mental institution or the big house,no escape either way !

dsantee 3 years, 3 months ago

I used to be Guy's neighbor. And all I can say is that he was always someone I liked and trusted. Always generous with his BBQ or his rototiller. He worked hard creating his moving business and he appear to be a good father. He typically mowed his lawn after dark because he was working so hard trying to build his business -- great work ethic. He even took in foster kids. This entire episode is sad. I hope for the best for Guy.

somebodynew 3 years, 3 months ago

While I agree this entire episode is sad, it has been drug out by he and Carrie longer than it needed to be.

And " took in foster kids.". Yeah, while having a good indoor grow operation. But I guess he was teaching horiculture (of some kind).

jonas_opines 3 years, 3 months ago

Do you know where that BBQ and rototiller came from?

RoeDapple 3 years, 3 months ago

"Always generous with his BBQ or his rototiller"

Well . . . if it was HIS BBQ and rototiller . . .

jhawkinsf 3 years, 3 months ago

Beating a dead horse to death, again and again.

BlackVelvet 3 years, 3 months ago

ain't that how you tenderize the horse before you put in onto the spit ??

damnitimpissed 3 years, 3 months ago

Forgive me for asking an actual relevant question about this, but why did they think they needed to involuntarily medicate him?

BlackVelvet 3 years, 3 months ago

But UNIKU, I thought YOU were Officer Mike Riner of the KUPD. That's what I read somewhere.

Amy Heeter 3 years, 3 months ago

The store is closed,the house foreclosed. No matter what happens now its over.

I do however find it interesting that not one person has said anything about who bought yellow houses inventory.

brujablanco 3 years, 3 months ago

Is it over? How do you figure - their lives have been changed forever.

Who cares who bought the inventory - or is this yet another conspiracy? We all await the all-knowing choke's vast knowledge of the criminal element in LVille.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA

been_there 3 years, 3 months ago

Wait, which LPD officer am I suppose to be?

been_there 3 years, 3 months ago

Wow, 24 hrs and no smitty. Wasn't smitty always the one berating the JW for not having any updates on the YH case? Here it is, and no smitty.

Armored_One 3 years, 3 months ago

First of all, who the heck invoked the name of smitty? As if fate wasn't being tempted enough as it is. LOL

Second, why do I get the feeling that Guy opened his mouth at the wrong time, so his attorneys are basically hogtied into filing this motion in conjunction with the prosecutors?

Third, this is really turning into a dinner and a show event. At least Carrie got to the intermission. LOL

I mean, honestly, smitty's WAY too emotionally invested in this case to be objective in the least. I hear all these claims of conspiracy and corruption, but yet I see no proof given. Heck, I'd settle for a vague rumor at this point, just to shut him up for a few minutes.

I mean, honestly, how vast can this conspiracy actually be, if there was ever one int he first place? Local courts I could almost think about giving it a passing thought before laughing it off, but local AND federal courts? What possible gain could a federal court judge get? Come on, give me some examples, smitty, because I am flat out drawing a blank here.

In truth, I don't honestly give a rodent butt about whether or not they are guilty at this point. Granted, I am willing to wager a body part that they are guilty as sin. I mean, honestly, even eBay helped bust these fools, from what I have read. If they are getting busted selling stolen items across state lines, then they deserve 20 times what they get. If you had any actual proof of this alleged corruption, you'd have already done something about it and everyone knows it.

To paraphrase Tim Curry: "Conspiracy threats against the LPD is just a red herring."

Two points to anyone that catches that reference.

gl0ckUser 3 years, 3 months ago

interesting........... . first the Gov't claims it will take the couples house and store because the Gov't claimed these 2 properties were paid for with ill gotten gains (the 30 million Dollars the LPD claimed that the YH owners made.) . Yet when they tried to take the properties they Discovered the Neighbors had mortgages on the properties so they were still 80% owned by the bank. (oops!) The lpd's goal was never to take this to trial but to jack with the Neighbors so much they could shut their store down and run them out of Lawrence..... (good job it took 5 years and who knows how much tax payer money to complete.)

I hope ppl still demand to see all this evidence that the LPD and the fed's claim to have against the Neighbors, because I have yet to see anything.

What I have seen was the chief of police Retire. The federal prosecuting attorney Retire. 2 people continually have their right to a speedy trial violated(over 5 years). Federal charges dropped and refiled. Not a single witness that didnt have a felony or receive a sever reduction in their sentence for their testimony. Multiple attempts by the Prosecutors to claim the Neighbors both were incompetent to stand trial. (based on the Guy neighbors blogging).

There is more going on in this case than people realize if its been going on for 7 YEARS now.

CRAZINESS !!

BlackVelvet 3 years, 3 months ago

Lemme see here...

"What I have seen was the chief of police Retire. " Well he had over 32 years's service to the Police Dept. Would he be eligible to retire regarldess of the YH case?

"The federal prosecuting attorney Retire." Again, worked in the position long enough to qualify for retirment regardless of whatever case was on the docket.

"2 people continually have their right to a speedy trial violated(over 5 years)." Seems every time the Neighbors' were coming up for trial, they fired their attorney and therefore had to have a continuance to get the new lawyer up to speed on the case.

"Not a single witness that didnt have a felony or receive a sever reduction in their sentence for their testimony." Perhaps some witnesses had a checkered past but definitely not all were that way.

"Multiple attempts by the Prosecutors to claim the Neighbors both were incompetent to stand trial. (based on the Guy neighbors blogging). " Well what would any sane person think if Guy kept blogging that darned near every cop, lawyer, judge and federal officer involved in the case was corrupt and risking prison themselves, simply to put a little ol' second hand store out of business. That's plain crazy if you ask me. But I know, you didn't ask me.

BlackVelvet 3 years, 3 months ago

"Marietta Parker was forced into retirement due in part to the way she handled the YH case. USA Marietta Parker had ambitions to be a federal judge that could not be realized due to the problems she created. It didn't help any that Parker wrote the appeal brief on the Doug Lake/ Westar case and lost it big time. Parker's way of doing the peoples business caught up with her."

And you know this how ? Did GN or CN tell you this?

gl0ckUser 3 years, 3 months ago

If you noticed her docket she had nothing on it for the last year she was there.

Also there was an open investigation into all of her previous cases because of the things that were surfacing

BlackVelvet 3 years, 3 months ago

And you know this how ? Did GN or CN tell you this?

BruceWayne 3 years, 3 months ago

Again YH is in the news and again I ask...did Jessica EVER get her GED? Anyone?

gl0ckUser 3 years, 3 months ago

if they were truly guilty would it take this much shenanigans from the lpd and the feds to try and either make them look guilty or incompetent to stand trial ?

.....................No

gl0ckUser 3 years, 3 months ago

Story Correction:

Wrong !

The Defense filed the motion the prosecution did not oppose it, They don't have any grounds to oppose it on. They are however trying to oppose his release to pre-trial release They have not quite came up with a good reason other than "Your honor he is a danger to the community and him self".

Even though he has not been charged with committing a violent crime. I think he is a danger to the prosecutors freedom as she has broken the law, and it will catch up to them

;-)

Armored_One 3 years, 3 months ago

Smitty... Glock...

I flat out dare you to bring these charges before a court of law. If you have all of this evidence you seem to have, a conviction shouldn't be a problem.

Otherwise, you are both flat out liars that should not only be ignored, by summarily dismissed.