Archive for Monday, August 22, 2011

Basehor 17-year-old in serious condition after accident

August 22, 2011

A Basehor teenager is in serious condition after he was injured in a car accident late Friday west of Bonner Springs.

According to a report from the Leavenworth County Sheriff’s Office, 17-year-old Preston Farris of Basehor was driving north on 166th Street across Kansas Highway 32 in his 1995 Honda Civic about 11:45 p.m. Friday. He failed to stop at the stop sign there, according to the report, and the driver’s side of his car was struck by a 2006 Chevy Cobalt traveling east on K-32, driven by Mark A. Liechti, 45, of Linwood.

Leavenworth County Emergency Medical Services took Farris to Kansas University Hospital for treatment of a possible broken leg. A hospital spokesman there said Monday morning that Farris was in serious condition.

The passenger in Liechti’s car, 51-year-old Brenda K. Liechti of Linwood, was taken by Leavenworth County EMS to Lawrence Memorial Hospital because of injuries to her arm. A hospital spokeswoman said Liechti was treated and released soon after arriving.

Alcohol did not appear to play a role in the accident, according to the sheriff’s report.

Comments

GUMnNUTS 3 years, 1 month ago

thebigspoon 3 years, 1 month ago

Shows a complete ignorance of religious tenets, as well as extremely bad taste. Nice going.

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 1 month ago

Those who equate religious tenets with ignorance are always unable to create a universe.

Ron Holzwarth 3 years, 1 month ago

You missed the rabbi's sermon on that topic. You might have learned something.

KCsFinest5 3 years, 1 month ago

Very disrespectful. No matter what your beliefs, cheeseburger was showing sympathy. You were using this story to show your views on an unrelated matter and there is no place for that here.

I wish everyone involved a speedy recovery.

Phone_Man 3 years, 1 month ago

I happen to know the family of this boy. He made a mistake as 17 year olds will do! He did not intend to run the stop. Gum Ur Nuts!

gatekeeper 3 years, 1 month ago

I drove past this Friday night and am shocked this kid is alive. It looked like the side of the car was gone. My husband was driving and I literally put my head in my hands and said "someone had to have died back there". I am so happy to see that the driver was ok.

Phone_Man 3 years, 1 month ago

He would have died; however in his 17 year old wisdom did not fasten his seatbelt. Not wearing the seatbelt actually saved his life because he was ejected from the passengers side. His seat was completely gone and he would have been held there by his seatbelt.

I certainly do not advocate not wearing seat belts but in this extreme case he was saved by not.