Archive for Friday, September 24, 2010

Man accused of making sexual comments to children at school playground

A 32-year-old man was charged with soliciting children on an area school playground. The incident occurred Monday and children informed faculty of the situation.

September 24, 2010, 12:08 p.m. Updated September 24, 2010, 6:01 p.m.

Prosecutors have charged a Lawrence man on a solicitation charge, saying he approached children in an after-school program at a playground on Monday and made sexual comments to them.

On Friday, Douglas County prosecutors filed one count of aggravated indecent solicitation of a child against Antonio L. Nelson, 32.

A girl in the Boys and Girls Club of Lawrence after-school program at Schwegler School, 2201 Ousdahl Road, reported the incident to adult supervisors Monday afternoon.

Police arrested Nelson at 2 p.m. Thursday near 18th and Ohio streets.

Sgt. Matt Sarna, a Lawrence police spokesman, said the investigation revealed the man approached several elementary age students on the playground that afternoon and made sexual comments to them. The suspect did not touch any of the children and left the area, Sarna said.

He said officers and detectives tracked down Nelson based on descriptions the victims and witnesses provided.

Judge pro tem James George Friday set Nelson’s bond at $40,000 cash or surety. His next court appearance is Oct. 6.

“If I do ever get out, I would never, ever mess with nobody else’s kids ever again,” Nelson said in court.

Police said Friday they are investigating another report of a man approaching Boys and Girls Club students Thursday afternoon on the playground at Pinckney School, 810 W. Sixth St. Staff there also asked the man to leave and called police.

Sarna on Friday said officers were not currently investigating the Pinckney and Schwegler incidents as being related. Both schools have sent home letters to parents about the incidents and safety measures children can take.

Comments

momof2ku 4 years, 2 months ago

How did this man approach "several" children on a playground?? Where were the teachers that are supposed to be outside with the kids supervising them? That's pretty scary!

notanoobhere 4 years, 2 months ago

Its a after school program, not during normal school hours! Pay attention, less talk more read.

Nikki May 4 years, 2 months ago

They are still supposed to be supervised. Boys and girls club is still has paid staff who watch the children. The students are supposed to be picked up by parents unless a release is signed. Plain and simple, it should NOT have been several students approached. Supervision.

Amy Heeter 4 years, 2 months ago

I was told it was after school. The children involved were in the after school program. The school is used by the boys and girls club for latch key kids. Many of the teachers had already left for the day. However all parents were notified by telephone recording from the school district.

Irenaku 4 years, 2 months ago

Disgusting. I know LJW can't post names, but I wish they would...can anyone tell me how we look up this kind of stuff on the Douglas County Court website or Police Department website? I just want to know who this sicko is

BlackVelvet 4 years, 2 months ago

uhhh....."On Friday, Douglas County prosecutors filed one count of aggravated indecent solicitation of a child against Antonio L. Nelson, 32"........

Kat Christian 4 years, 2 months ago

His name is in the article: Antonio L. Nelson 32. Sign up for www.familywatchdog.us and they will send you notifications of any sex offenders moving in or out in your area, plus you can look at the map and see pictures of them and where they live.

alm77 4 years, 2 months ago

He didn't appear on the registered offenders list that I checked either.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 4 years, 2 months ago

"near 18th and Ohio"

Meaning Veteran's Park where LOTS of little kids (including my 3 year old) play. I'm gonna have to get some pepper spray for the wife.

notyourmom 4 years, 2 months ago

Kudos, and much admiration, to the little girl who made the adults aware and helped keep her playmates safe!! A hardy slap on the back and "Thank you" to the adults for making the officials aware and the same for the police who investigated and found this guy. You done good.

momof2ku 4 years, 2 months ago

No I don't know. How exactly was this city "destroyed".

Steve Jacob 4 years, 2 months ago

Let's hear what the guy said. Maybe he was just being stupid.

notyourmom 4 years, 2 months ago

Stupid enough to be arrested and charged with aggravated indecent solicitation of a child? I don't want to know exactly what he said. I can guess enough. Let the jury hear what he said.

Steve Jacob 4 years, 2 months ago

They have to prove intent, that's why I'd have to know what exactly was said. Don't get me wrong, I am glad they found and arrested the guy (if it was him), but if he intended no harm, and was just stupid, the most he'd get is a misdemeanor and probation.

kernal 4 years, 2 months ago

What he said will probably have to wait for his hearing.

alm77 4 years, 2 months ago

So verbal solicitation isn't covered in the LJW "do not print names" policy? I'm not complaining, I'm just asking.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 4 years, 2 months ago

What happened to your policy of not publishing the names of accused offenders unless they were convicted?

Kat Christian 4 years, 2 months ago

I don't think pervert fit in that catogory - they don't deserve privacy.

wmathews 4 years, 2 months ago

Hi Jesse, I tried to respond to this last night from my phone, but it appears the 3G signal failed me.

Our policy of not naming suspects in sex crimes until they are convicted is accurate. However, since solicitation is talking about committing a sex crime rather than physically committing it, we don't feel this story meets the criteria to enact our policy.

Here is an example of a 2008 solicitation case where we named the suspect prior to conviction, too: http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2008/sep...

Nikki May 4 years, 2 months ago

Also, I thought if naming a person would identify the victim it was the main issue. In this case, it was a stranger, so it doesn't identify the victims.

wmathews 4 years, 2 months ago

That is definitely a factor we consider. Also, the stigma that comes with being charged with something as heinous as a sex crime is important.

kewlb 4 years, 2 months ago

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE JW POLICY THAT THERE WONT BE A MENTION OF NAMES UNLESS CONVICTED?I MEAN I DONT CARE ABOUT SCUMBAGS LIKE THIS.A PUBLIC HANGING IS A GOOD PUNISHMENT.ALSO.THIS HAS NO REFERENCE TO THE SUBJECT.BUT THE K.U. MENS BASKETBALL TEAM ARE SIGNING AUTOGRAPHS TOMORROW BEFORE THE GAME.IT WAS MENTIONED IN THE PAPER,BUT I DONT SEE ANYWHERE ONLINE THAT MENTIONS IT.I HAVE A 12 YR OLD SON THAT REALLY ENJOYS THINGS LIKE THAT,NOT TO MENTION ITS REALLY NICE TO SEE THAT THE PLAYERS ARE TAKING THE TIME OUT TO DO SOMETHING LIKE THAT.HOW COME THIS ISNT SOMETHING THAT IS MORE ANNOUNCED?IF ANYTHING THE KIDS REALLY ENJOY OPPORTUNITIES LIKE THIS TO MEET THE TEAM.IT WAS BARELY MENTIONED.SHOULD BE SOMETHING THAT IS MORE PUBLICIZED!!LJWORLD?

budwhysir 4 years, 2 months ago

I would say it doesnt matter if they print this guys name. What does matter is that he was picked up and is no longer on the street. I would also say it is a good thing he was picked up by law enforcement and not a group of concerned parents.

Dirtman24 4 years, 2 months ago

One thing that is on my mind is he lives in my apartment complex where he is always around ALLOT of kids 99% of the time. He lives across the street at the south end of of the building and was always in the pool with kids and I think the apartment complex should remove him as he is now accused. Who knows what he has done to kids around here... My point is he has been caught and is one sick SOB in my opinion. I hope the ship him up the river!!!!!!!!!!

independent_rebel 4 years, 2 months ago

Don't ship him up the river. He'll just float back down here. Ship him down river, sans his "manhood."

ranger7272 4 years, 2 months ago

This kid has a mental disability. No excuse but shouldn't be on his own like this. He is not right in the head. I went to school with him and this does not surprize me.

kewlb 4 years, 2 months ago

my past comment ended in a question form,thinking maybe i would get a response from ljworld.

kewlb 4 years, 2 months ago

not sure who jesse is,but its not me?my "ending"question was about the bball players and why it isnt easier to find that its going on?I dont see it mentioned anywhere online.

Nikki May 4 years, 2 months ago

What the heck did your question have to do with anything pertaining to this story?

kewlb 4 years, 2 months ago

maybe if u were to read my comments u would see that i commented on it.then i commented on something else.I believe my question was directed at jworld,are u affiliated with them?dont think so.mind your own business then.

Nikki May 4 years, 2 months ago

When you post something publicly, it then becomes everyone's business. I did read your original comment. I see where you even say it has nothing to do with this topic.

hilary 4 years, 2 months ago

I went to elementary school with Tony as well, and it's certainly sad to see that this has happened.