Archive for Monday, October 18, 2010

Olathe man in critical condition following motorcycle-deer accident

October 18, 2010

A 47-year-old Olathe man remains in critical condition at the hospital after his motorcycle struck a deer early Sunday morning just east of Baldwin City on U.S. Highway 56.

Sgt. Steve Lewis, a Douglas County Sheriff’s spokesman, said Jim Witzke was driving his motorcycle east at 12:20 a.m. Sunday when he struck a deer and lost control. The motorcycle flipped several times, and Witzke was thrown from the vehicle.

Witzke was flown via helicopter ambulance to Kansas University Hospital in Kansas City, Kan., where he was listed in critical condition Monday afternoon, a hospital spokesman said.

Lewis said that according to the accident report Witzke was not wearing a helmet.

Comments

nedcolt 4 years, 2 months ago

I've gone through what you are going through now,I hope you pull through brother.

gphawk89 4 years, 2 months ago

Is there any such thing as a motorcycle accident where the operator is NOT thrown from the vehicle?

I used to ride at night a lot out in western KS and always feared this. Had a few close calls but never actually connected with a deer.

Get well quick, Mr. Witzke!

TrueWitzke 4 years, 2 months ago

Thank You So Much! This is my father and he's doing okay. Just minor bleeding in the brain,bruised body, and possibilities of a broken neck. Thank you for your prayers. God Bless You♥

grimpeur 4 years, 2 months ago

Wow! Nothing minor about that stuff. Hope he heals up quick. All the best from a fellow rider.

John Hamm 4 years, 2 months ago

More prayers and well wishes. Glad to hear he's in as good a shape as he is.

kansasmutt 4 years, 2 months ago

Glad to hear he is getting better. That is a very bad area and those deer run 24 - 7 in that run area. Get well quick Jim. Our prayers are with you.

harleyrider80 4 years, 2 months ago

I hope he gets better soon and has a speedy recovery! I hit my first deer last wed. morning going to work... I am very lucky to walk away with a bruise left knee and some road rash. I also am lucky to have surived a back tire blowout at 65mph and not lay it down. But if you ride long enough something like this happens. Just remember this: RIde to Live Live to Ride!

Get Well Jim!!