Archive for Friday, October 15, 2010

2 Jefferson County women injured in accident Thursday north of Lawrence

October 15, 2010, 10:55 a.m. Updated October 15, 2010, 11:59 a.m.

Two Jefferson County women went to Lawrence Memorial Hospital Thursday afternoon after a two-vehicle accident north of Lawrence.

Sgt. Steve Lewis, a Douglas County Sheriff’s spokesman, said Ella Emery, 56, Valley Falls, slowed her 2004 Chevrolet impala down almost to a stop about 2:15 p.m. to avoid a shredded tire in the northbound lane of U.S. Highway 24-59 about 1 mile north of the Tee Pee Junction.

Lewis said Emery couldn’t avoid the tire due to oncoming traffic. Deborah Larimore, 53, McLouth, apparently didn’t see the Impala slowing and her 2007 Mitsubishi Galant struck the rear of the Impala.

Emery was taken to LMH by ambulance, and Larimore was taken there by a private vehicle.

Lewis said the accident report as of Friday morning did not list any citations but that it was not yet complete. A hospital spokeswoman Friday morning said Emery was treated and released and that Larimore was listed in good condition.

Comments

gccs14r 4 years, 6 months ago

Hazard flashers are a good idea if you have to slow unexpectedly on a highway. Give the folks behind you as much warning as possible.

gccs14r 4 years, 6 months ago

No one expects people to brake to a full stop on the highway, though, and brake lights can look like tail lights at first glance. You want to give folks as much warning as possible. I kick on the flashers on 435 if there's a sudden slowdown to wake up the folks behind me so I don't get accordioned. I do the same thing on my motorcycle. Hazards aren't just for when you're sitting on the shoulder, they're to give a warning about an unexpected situation.

Stuart Evans 4 years, 6 months ago

considering the amount of flashing red that flew by here, I thought it was much worse.

Joe Hyde 4 years, 6 months ago

Suit yourself, but I always place great stock in the value of amber warning flashers. They offer the only means of warning other drivers that you've seen, or are involved in, something out of the ordinary -- something that poses a hazard.

Just stepping on your brake pedal and lighting up your rear brake lights doesn't transmit that warning: all it could mean is that you've touched your brake pedal while simply slowing down. Which people do all the time.

The 4-way flashers tell other drivers, especially ones directly behind you, "Uh oh, something different just happened up there; I better slow down and pay close attention."

At least, that's my thinking. I never hesitate to hit the flashers if I think all that amber blinking might catch someone's attention enough to give them warning.

gccs14r 4 years, 6 months ago

I was pretty happy when amber rear turn signals/hazards started to become the norm on cars. Unfortunately, it looks like the manufacturers are switching back to all red, even on European cars. I think that's a mistake from a safety perspective. I was hopeful that the committee that's working to standardize safety standards between the U.S. and Europe would be successful in overcoming the U.S. government's resistance to compulsory rear amber turn signals.

onlymee 4 years, 6 months ago

well at least there wasnt noone hurt now, im coming from doc 402 im going on wellmanrd, oversize load semi, god to the left towards me, goes back and its laying on side of ditch, i freaked, still there, blocked only taking turns letting you thru, there getting lights cuz its going to take ?????????,,so be careful on wellman near curve,,,,

onlymee 4 years, 6 months ago

anyone traveling near wellman rd its gonna be a long process, so drive careful ,,,they are still working to get massive thing moved,its now tearing road out

bearded_gnome 4 years, 6 months ago

onlymee (anonymous) says…

October 15, 2010 at 6:26 p.m.

---I used to see Doc 402, but his bedside manner was terrible, so I upgraded to Doc 512.

~naw, that werent no shorthand mann. jes cuzin probly tryin to type on da box whil wuz drivin~

kansasmutt 4 years, 6 months ago

Tailgaters, I hate Em !!!!!! I brake HARD for Tailgaters, just try me sometime.

People think 25 foot at 60 mph is just fine, well, it`s not and if you pull up on my bumper, i will slam on the brakes to miss a deer i saw on the side of the road. You been warned !!!