Archive for Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Perry man injured in two-vehicle accident near Hamm Quarry

October 6, 2010

The Kansas Highway Patrol said Wednesday it identified the wrong driver who was taken to a hospital in a Tuesday crash just north of the Jefferson County-Douglas County line.

The patrol also said its online crash log also misidentified which driver was not wearing his seat belt in the two-vehicle, head-on collision at 11:45 a.m. on Third Street just north of U.S. Highway 24-59.

The KHP report on Wednesday said Jonathan C. Pogge, 20, of Lawrence, was not wearing his seat belt when his southbound 1993 Ford truck struck a 1998 Chevrolet truck driven north by 24-year-old William Gottstein of Perry.

The KHP said Gottstein was wearing his seat belt during the collision. Gottstein was not transported to any hospital at the scene, but he later checked into Lawrence Memorial Hospital, where he was treated and released, an LMH spokeswoman said.

The accident report said Pogge was taken to Kansas University Hospital in Kansas City, Kan., but because of privacy issues, the hospital could neither confirm nor deny Wednesday that Pogge was listed in the hospital’s directory.

This story replaces an earlier version that contained the errors.

Comments

rsmart 4 years, 2 months ago

i know for a fact that the man that was injured was driving the ford. he was taken away by life flight. maybe if they contacted the hospital with the correct name they would get a report on his condition. the man driving the ford drives up and down our gravel road (the road this happened on)between 60-80 miles an hour all the time. i knew this was going to happen some day. in fact my husband has stopped him several times and told him to slow down. i guess he should have listened! i hope he has no serious injuries butt hope he has learned his lesson and will slow his butt down on the gravel road before he kills himself or someone else.

mrbig 4 years, 2 months ago

"before he kills himself or someone else" - I bet you'll feel like a shmuck if this poor kid doesn't pull through. These boys need prayers not someone coming online to tell everyone in the community that 'you told him so'.

grimpeur 4 years, 2 months ago

Suggest you contact the sheriff about this driver's pattern of reckless driving. Appreciate your comment here, but the cops need to know this stuff.

enginrd 4 years, 2 months ago

he's a 20 year old kid for god sake.... Grow up and pray for him and his family & his critical condition. I can tell you for a fact, he is a good kid with a good head on his shoulders. An accident is an accident. He is not a reckless driver & if you have nothing nice 2 say.... Just don't say anything and my your own business.

rsmart 4 years, 2 months ago

it is my business when he is endangering my family by driving so fast down the road. i hope he is going to be ok and i'm sure he is a good kid he just needs to slow it down a bit. we had try to tell him to slow down for everyone's safety, including his own.

crazyredneckmomma4 4 years, 2 months ago

my husband witnessed the accident and my husband was comforting this guy while they waited on paramedics to arrive after this guy his my husbands buddy.

mommylovesyou 4 years, 2 months ago

This kid is in critical condition right now and in the ICU.. I personally know this kid and hope that everything will be okay!

crazyredneckmomma4 4 years, 2 months ago

so do we. My husband and the driver of the other vehicle comforted him until the paramedics came. our prayers are with him.

Brenda Bohannan 4 years, 2 months ago

Both of these men went to school with my son and daughter. The one that was life flighted is a very close friend of my oldest son. They both are good people and No one should judge either one of them. One is in the hospital and the other has checked out ok other than being concerned for his friend in the other vehicle. Just because there may have been alcohol in the vehicle he was driving does not mean that he was or had been drinking!! Just because he has had other accidents does not mean he is a bad person. Maybe instead of being inconsiderate you should maybe think of his family and close friends and what they are going through right now. Just ask yourself how you would feel if the tables were turned and people were talking trash on your family member. I hope that both of the men involved get better quickly and all others that are talking trash learn to keep their mouths shut.

crazyredneckmomma4 4 years, 2 months ago

like i said in my comment we do not know if the alcohol was a contributing factor. I was just stating facts not talking trash. Sorry if it was taken that way. Never did I say or mean to imply he was a bad person. He could have killed our friend and we are still concerned for his well being.

mikeydku13 4 years, 2 months ago

No one is picking on these people! But because they are tied to that area and I'm assuming perry lol this is what they do!!! They gossip about people cause they wanna get "their" story out... The guy who is at KU Med DOES NOT drive 80mph down dirt roads!! That is complete garbage for someone to say that!!! And second of all like SAM said, he was not drinking either! These people really do need to shut their mouths! I guaruntee if it were one of their children they would be singing a different tune!! Us people standing up for the kid ACTUALLY know him!! I went to high school with him and take college classes with him! All we want is for him to come back home safe and healthy. We wanna clear up the fact that the article was printed wrong and let everyone in the community know that we are praying for him!! If you don't personally know this man nor have anything nice to say about him... Then don't say anything at all! If u wanna show support for the other man involved! Go ahead! Share your thoughts and prayers but this unnecessary garbage about these women trying to tear down a man who is now fighting for his life is horrible and disgusting. I will say I hope he recovers and all my prayers go out to the pogge family as well as friends of the famiily!

Brenda Bohannan 4 years, 2 months ago

rsmart 4 years, 2 months ago

i for one am not talking trash just the facts. i do feel for his family and friends and even for him. i don't wish bad on anyone. i can't imagine what his parents are going through right now i have boys close to his age and would not want to be going through what they are going through right now. honestly, my thoughts are with his family and i do hope he pulls through. and believe me when i said we had asked him to slow down several times was for his own safety as well as everyone else.

samitha06 4 years, 2 months ago

I can tell you all for a fact that the boy injured in this car accident was the one who was driving the Ford. This report is NOT correct. He is in Kansas City and fighting for his life as we speak because of the injuries he has from being hit. And for Rsmart and redneckmomma, you need to look at the reports, every wreck that he has been is has never been his fault and even one of those was from a drunk driver who hit him! I have known this kid my whole life and he is like a brother to me and I can tell you for 100% some of you don't know what you are talking about! Maybe instead of pointing fingers at the injured one, you should start praying for him because he is fighting for his life.

crazyredneckmomma4 4 years, 2 months ago

you should read the previous comment it pretty much sums it up.

mdrndgtl 4 years, 2 months ago

crazyredneckmomma4 4 years, 2 months ago

we just found out the guy who was life flighted is in ICU at KU Med in critical condition. Even though his speed was probably the biggest factor to the accident, our friend in the other truck was and still is more concerned for the guy that hit him than himself.

crazyredneckmomma4 4 years, 2 months ago

listen, it was HIS driving that caused the accident. my husband was in the vehicle in front of the one that was hit and my husband had to swerve out of the guy in the fords way. So dont say my friend doesnt have concern. People in Perry need to open their eyes and realize that NOT EVERYONE IN PERRY ARE ANGELS AND DO GOODERS. This has gotten out of hand. But Mikey pretty much summed it up when he said "They gossip about people cause they wanna get "their" story out... " Seamus we have expressed our concern about John and our thoughts and prayers are with him and his family. But no one has expressed concern for our friend, the guy John hit. This isnt just physically painful for him but mentally as well. My husband and Will, the guy John hit, thought they were going to watch a man die right in front of them. That image will be with my husband and Will for a long long time if not forever.

perrychica54639 4 years, 2 months ago

My thoughts and Prayers are with both people involved in the accident. I personally have always been very close to one of them and happened to graduate with him. No matter who was at fault in this situation, I hope both are well.. or get well soon!

DillonBarnes 4 years, 2 months ago

I feel like I should know one of these guys.

...actually I think I kind of do.

KEITHMILES05 4 years, 2 months ago

I find it weird all this talk being so personal in nature. Wouldn't it be better to not post than come on here ranting and raving?

enginrd 4 years, 2 months ago

AGAIN I say if you have nothing nice to say.... say nothing! AND I HAVE SEEN AND I KNOW 100% THAT ALCOHOL WAS NOT A FACTOR....

ASSUMING WHAT YOU DO NOT KNOW ONLY MAKES AN A$$ OUT OF YOU!

he_who_knows_all 4 years, 2 months ago

After reading these comments I know for a fact that everyone knows everyone in good old Perry, Kansas.

BikerGrandma 4 years, 2 months ago

I think that everyone needs to just stop all the comments and inuendos surrounding this accident (which it was) and pray for both boys and their families. Let's give the family of the severely injured young man some peace and quiet. They need it. As a parent who has been there, I can tell you that these type of comments are very hurtful, even if the child were in the wrong.

crazybutnice 4 years, 2 months ago

I totally agree with you. The young man who is fighting for his life is a very sweet boy. I have known him for years.

crazybutnice 4 years, 2 months ago

Have any of you heard of compassion or respect? Were you not taught these things? There is a young man fighting for his life. He has family and friends who love him. My prayers and thoughts are with him and his family.

Perhaps before you go bashing you should really learn ALL the facts. Alcohol was not present in either of the young men. And if speed turns out to be a contributing factor well we ALL do it and should learn from this.

Remember the Golden Rules, If you were taught these , Do unto others as you would have done unto you or how about If you have nothing nice to say Dont say anything!

crazyredneckmomma4 4 years, 2 months ago

Unbelievable. No one is talking trash. If we really didnt care then my husband wouldnt have comforted John until the paramedics got there. As I have stated before, WE ARE CONCERNED FOR JOHN. AGAIN our prayers go out to him and his family.

crazybutnice 4 years, 2 months ago

Thats nice that he did that. I'm sure he appreciated it.

sandrat83 4 years, 2 months ago

R.smart stop being so rude if u are a ken to tasha and chris smart you have no room to talk or judge a damn thing. Mind ur biz stop this trashing people and take a kong hard look at your self and your family. If he speeds call the sheriff stop bashing people

crazyredneckmomma4 4 years, 2 months ago

Sandrat83 are you serious? rsmart has a very valid point. Put yourself in her shoes. Family and friends of John's seem to think everyone is talking trash about this situation when thats clearly not the case. What does that say???

TaylorKorth 4 years, 2 months ago

Pogge is a GREAT kid and has the biggest heart out of anyone i have ever met. I know everyone at the school is more than concerned and constantly getting updates about him. Just keep him in your prayers, we all love you Pogge <3

• Tk and Hayley miller.

perrychica54639 4 years, 2 months ago

I agree with you guys 100%. He is an amazing guy and would do pretty much anything for anyone.

Squeaks 4 years, 2 months ago

R u kidding me?...

crazyredneckmomma4 please stop bragging about how you did what any good person would have done. You act like you should get a prize for stopping at the scene of the accident. Stop trying to hide your rude comments behind the fact that you did what any good person would have done by stopping and comforting the parties involved.

rsmart I can understand where you are coming from when you are talking about him speeding but what 20 year old doesnt. It was an accident. He didnt put himself in ICU on purpose. He is a good kid and just like any good kid everyone has ACCIDENTS! And idk if you have ever driven this road but everytime I do there is a dog that looks like a polar bear that always runs infront of me. Almost causing me and my friends to wreck multiple times. If you have talked to this kid about speeding so much cause your worried about saftey, why on earth have you not talked to the Irresponsible and Inconsiderate owners of that dog?

My prayers are with the friends and family of the Pogge kid.

crazyredneckmomma4 4 years, 2 months ago

ok Squeaks first of all the dog is on a totally different part of the this road, the dog is no where near the area of the accident and the dog is a whole DIFFERENT issue than speeding. I also am NOT looking for any praise or "thank yous" or anything regarding what my husband did for this young man. you are right my husband did what any person would have done. my point is that we have been accused of "talking trash" about this kid and the situation and that is just not true. And AGAIN, (AND I SAY AGAIN) my comments were not intended to "talk trash" and I am sorry if you or anyone else has taken my comments that way. Everyone is saying how Pogge is a good kid and that maybe true but he almost took the life of a very dear friend of ours. And regardless if he was speeding, drinking or whatever, it was an accident that could have been prevented and could have turned out a lot worse. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and this is mine. LIKE IT OR NOT.

AND ONCE AGAIN... OUR THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS ARE WITH JOHN AND HIS FAMILY AND FRIENDS.

crazyredneckmomma4 4 years, 2 months ago

Also, (and dont get me wrong, i am an animal lover. I have 5 dogs of my own) but if a dog runs out in front of you and you can either hit the dog or risk bodily injury to you and your friends, I think the smart thing to do is hit the dog. Like i said its a total different situation when its only human lives involved. and im sure im going to get alot of flack about this comment. But mine and my family and friends' lives are more important than a dog that runs out in front of cars. Again my opinion.

crazyredneckmomma4 4 years, 2 months ago

I really wish we weren't hidden behind these user names. I would like to explain in detail and in person our thoughts and opinions about this. Obviously people from Perry are more concerned about whats being said than the facts and the condition of these men. Wow was does that say for Perry, KS?? Things that make you go "HMMMMMMM"!!!

AGG 4 years, 2 months ago

ccooley 4 years, 2 months ago

Crazyredneck --I was reading these and wasn't going to say anything, but your last comment really got to me. How dare you say something like that? Our thoughts and opinions? About someone who was injured in a bad car wreck that we all care so much about. You should be ashamed of yourself saying that Perry people don't care about the conditions of the men. Yes we are concerned about what's being said because it's just flat out wrong. Jonathan is someone that touched everyone's hearts because he's a great person. No one should say any different. I don't know one person that ever disliked him. We've all shed many tears and have been praying that he's alright. That's what we're worried about. We're worried about him and his family making it through this tragic time. Maybe you are too. But maybe, just maybe, you should stop posting on ljworld digging yourself into a deeper hole and just let it go. Your friend is alright. Ours, however, has gone through so much, and I believe he deserves peace and quiet instead of everyone trying to analyze the situation and not thinking about the bigger picture.

We all love you, Jonathan Pogge. We're praying for you and your family. Get well soon.

TaylorKorth 4 years, 2 months ago

Thank you for standing up and speaking out.

daschie88 4 years, 2 months ago

Dear crazyredneckmomma4, Hindsight is always 20/20. I'm sure at this point, and for everyday for the rest of his life, Jon is going to regret speeding that day. So please stop pointing out that he was speeding. We all know that, as you've mentioned it several times. I'm sure you're guilty of speeding before. Aren't we all? But that day your friend got lucky and was not severely injured in that wreck. He is not on his deathbed and was not almost killed. I feel for him and his family and I hope that he is doing well, don't get me wrong, but do not be so dramatic about it. Jon is still fighting for his life and no one cares what the "facts" are, we just care that he pulls through. The Pogges are my second family; I've known them since I was in kindergarten (I'm now a senior in college), and I've spent time with them and seen Jon at the hospital and I can assure you that the "facts" that you claim are so important for all of us "Perry people" to understand are entirely irrelavent at this point. As is your opinion. Perhaps you should be counting your blessings that your friend is okay and that it wasn't your family involved and just let it go. In an unfortunate manner, everyone has learned their lesson in this situation.

On another note, for anyone who cares, Jon WAS wearing his seatbelt regardless of what the accident report said. If he had not been wearing it, he would not be here today. His injuries are a result of him wearing the seatbelt.

Sincerely, daschie88