Advertisement

Archive for Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Duplex fire in 1300 block of East 25th Terrace leaves residence ‘uninhabitable’

Smoke from a fire drifts into the street while emergency crews search a duplex in the 1300 block of E. 25th Terrace just after 9 a.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 16, 2010.

Smoke from a fire drifts into the street while emergency crews search a duplex in the 1300 block of E. 25th Terrace just after 9 a.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 16, 2010.

November 16, 2010, 9:11 a.m. Updated November 16, 2010, 4:42 p.m.

Advertisement

1300 block of E. 25th Terrace

Crews extinguished a fire Tuesday morning at a duplex in southeastern Lawrence.

Lawrence Douglas County Fire and Medical crews discovered smoke coming from the duplex at 1304 and 1306 E. 25th Terrace, southeast of 23rd Street and Haskell Avenue.

Division Chief Joe Hoelscher said residents escaped from both sides of the duplex without being injured.

He said firefighters, who arrived about 9 a.m., discovered smoke and flames on the east side of duplex and later found more flames on the west side and in the attic.

The building sustained fire, smoke and water damage. Division Chief Eve Tolefree said Tuesday afternoon that inattentive cooking caused the fire. Damage was estimated at $20,000.

“The property will be uninhabitable,” Hoelscher said.

Jane Blocher, executive director of the Douglas County chapter of the American Red Cross, said the agency provided financial assistance for food and clothing to eight occupants of the duplex.

She said that two adults and two children lived in each duplex and that both families will be staying with family members.

The property is owned by Ivy Bend LC and is valued at $128,400, according to county records.

Comments

Amy Heeter 3 years, 8 months ago

Glad to hear hear got the fire out.

0

Commenting has been disabled for this item.