Archive for Friday, May 21, 2010

Police seek the public’s help in identifying suspect in auto burglary

May 21, 2010

The driver in this gray car, center, is suspected in an auto burglary early this morning at Burger King on Sixth Street. Police are seeking the public's help in identifying the driver of the vehicle.

This gray vehicle, bottom right, was photographed on Burger King's security system Friday morning. The driver of the vehicle is suspected in an auto burglary in that parking lot.

Lawrence police are seeking help from the public, hoping to catch a man who broke into a car in the parking lot of Burger King, 1107 W. Sixth, stealing a purse inside.

The suspect was caught on the restaurant’s surveillance cameras.

Police spokesman Sgt. Bill Cory said the suspect appeared to be a white male driving a gray four-door vehicle.

Cory said the man parked next to the victim’s car around 6:15 a.m. Friday, stole a purse out of the unlocked vehicle and drove away.

Anyone with information on the auto burglary and theft is urged to call the Lawrence Police Department or the anonymous CrimeStoppers Tips Line at 843-TIPS.

Comments

Kat Christian 3 years, 11 months ago

I hope next time she locks her car.

somebodynew 3 years, 11 months ago

@LadyJ- most all comments are much nicer that Smitty's remarks- particularly if it involves law enforcement in anyway.

LadyJ 3 years, 11 months ago

Just in case you don't read threaded remarks:

I'm confused, the removed remark told smitty to not be so negative and supported the police. I think it explained when media was released but they had no control over how it was reported, could be wrong. Certainly was much nicer than most of smitty's remarks.

Stuart Evans 3 years, 11 months ago

I'm not following the logic. the guy pulls into a mostly empty parking lot, parks right next to a car, then is he getting ready to go in and see's the purse; or does he just get out of his car and head straight for the purse? I think this guy knew the purse was there. and that gray car is pretty new. new car drivers aren't your typical purse snatchers. I need more information!!

bearded_gnome 3 years, 11 months ago

DIST: The poll writers at LJW must be psychic.

---Or, ... maybe there is something more sinister? maybe the LJWorld editors caused this? maybe they have a Behavior Control Technician flying over lawrence in alow-flying chopper?
inqiring minds wantto know.

LadyJ 3 years, 11 months ago

I suppose if it was locked they would have smashed the window, which happened in North Lawrence recently. I usually throw mine in the trunk if I don't want to take it in. A potential thief could probably watch to see if a woman walks in with a purse or not. Nobody thinks anything of a man walking in without a bag.

lawthing 3 years, 11 months ago

He was wearing black and white stripes.........It was the Hamburglar!

thebcman 3 years, 11 months ago

It's too bad the person got their purse stolen. However, leaving a purse in plain view in an unlocked car is really a very stupid thing to do.

Benjamin Roberts 3 years, 11 months ago

Do you think the lady had seen yesterday's Poll?

"When not in your car, do you keep the doors locked or unlocked?" http://www2.ljworld.com/polls/2010/may/when-not-your-car-do-you-keep-doors-locked-or-unlo/

The poll writers at LJW must be psychic.

bearded_gnome 3 years, 11 months ago

upon his arrest the suspect was heard to shout: "All right d--nit!!!

I'll admit it!

It's my man purse. I have to have my own manbag. I left it in her car, and we aranged a quiet place so I could pick it up without any embarrassment! nobody was gonna see.
now, please leave me alone! all it's got in it is stuff like ManTan, Man Brow pencil, ManScara, and Manliner.
because of this video, my buddies are really giving me he|| now!"