Archive for Friday, March 5, 2010

Aldrich says NBA not a done deal yet

KU junior still pondering future

Kansas center Cole Aldrich waves to the Allen Fieldhouse crowd after he was announced the NCAA Basketball Academic All-American of the Year Monday, Feb. 22, 2010.

March 5, 2010, 11:50 a.m. Updated March 6, 2010, 12:00 a.m.

— Yes, Cole Aldrich heard the fans’ chants of “One More Year” at the end of Wednesday’s Senior Day victory over Kansas State.

“It’s cool,” Aldrich, Kansas University’s 6-foot-11 junior center, said of the fans wanting him to return to KU instead of heading to the NBA.

“I still don’t know what I’m going to do. I’m still just trying to play ball. Whether it is my last year or not, I’m just trying to make it the most fun I could ever have.”

So he’s not totally sure he’s headed to the NBA?

“Not really,” Aldrich said. “I’m just going and having fun. I’m going to do the same thing that Sherron (Collins) and I did at the end of the year (last year in assessing options), see where things are and kind of assess it.”

Coach Bill Self on Wednesday told the fans not to hold their breath about Aldrich coming back.

“I don’t know,” Aldrich said. “It could be a possibility (heading to NBA), but you never know.”

Aldrich is considered a lottery pick in the 2010 Draft. It’s been assumed ever since last year’s KU basketball banquet this is the big man’s last year in college.

Antlers strike?

Missouri’s student cheering section, the Antlers, may have pulled off one of the best pranks of all-time.

“You know what somebody did to me? Somebody made a flier and said I was selling a dog and put my name and my number on it. So, I’ve been getting phone calls about giving away a dog that I don’t even have for the last two days,” KU sophomore Tyshawn Taylor said with a grin.

“I haven’t seen the flier yet. My teammates told me about it. “They pulled it out of the elevator. It was in all kinds of dorms and classrooms. I’m like, ‘I don’t have a dog. Stop calling me,’” Taylor added.

KU coach Bill Self said he still gets phone calls “periodically” from the Antlers.

“If it’s a 573 (area code) I usually don’t pick up or 314 I don’t pick up this time of year,” Self said.

Of the calls, junior Brady Morningstar said: “It does get kind of annoying seeing numbers pop up you don’t know. It’s, ‘Dang, man, what’s up with that?’”

Aldrich hadn’t heard from the Antlers as of Friday. “It is very nice and relieving,” he said with a smile.

No distractions

Taylor grinned when asked why he’s played so well of late.

“No Facebook, man. No Facebook,” he said of the controversy several weeks ago in which he posted on Facebook that he didn’t know his role on the team. He’s since taken his page down. “Before, a lot of stuff happened off the court that was limiting my play on the court. All the off-the-court stuff is gone. I can just play now.”

Collins a finalist

KU senior Sherron Collins is one of six finalists for the Bob Cousy Award, which goes to college basketball’s top point guard as awarded by the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame and The Hartford Financial Services Group, Inc. Other remaining candidates: Scottie Reynolds (Villanova), Jon Scheyer (Duke), Evan Turner (Ohio State), Greivis Vasquez (Maryland) and John Wall (Kentucky).

Comments

notjustyoureverydayaveragetrol 4 years, 1 month ago

He'd be a fool not to go, if he doesn't go to the nba that would be one less year where he could be making millions, you can always finish school later.

notjustyoureverydayaveragetrol 4 years, 1 month ago

Jean1183 4 years, 1 month ago

Cole.....as I said, I would personally love for you to stay and play one more year at KU.

However, you make the decision that's best for YOU and your family. You can always finish your last year of college at a later time and get that degree. Heck.....you could probably even finish it on-line. I certainly would not think any less of you if this is what you decide to do, and if playing in the NBA has been your dream........go for it. Not many actually get to fulfill their dreams.

newmedia 4 years, 1 month ago

I also hope Cole returns but if not I only want to wish him the best in the future. Only he can make that decision. Anyway you look at it 3 years was definitely better than 2 !! Good luck today against Misery..

TrooGrit 4 years, 1 month ago

Hard to say what is the right thing for Cole. On the one hand, he has his school to back him, on the other, he has some agent guaranteeing him a million. What's it worth? What if he breaks a bone his senior year? These are all things he will think about. I, for one, hope he comes back. On the other hand, I will totally understand if he bolts. Either way, we've loved knowing you Cole, and root for you in after-jayhawk life!

riverdrifter 4 years, 1 month ago

I'm just guessing here, but from what I'm seeing, Cole a year from now would be making roughly $50,000 per week or more. .

"Finish school Cole!"

He has.

wysiwyg69 4 years, 1 month ago

If, and I say if, Cole comes back, he had better buy a real good insurance policy just in case he gets hurt.

oneeye_wilbur 4 years, 1 month ago

He owes it to his parents and grandmother to finish school and to himself to finish school. That is why he came here , one would hope. Finish school Cole!

Eride 4 years, 1 month ago

"srj (anonymous) says… Xavier has fallen out on the lottery, so he could be back. I say it over and over, one and done players should not come to KU because they will not get the minutes. Cole looks to be a lottery pick, but his numbers are down."

Hmm, you don't seem to know what you're talking about...

1. Almost every single draft board I can find has Xavier in the lottery.

2. He has gotten the minutes and he kept getting them even when he was in a several game slump. He is averaging almost 28 minutes a game this season.

If Xavier keeps playing like he has and KU goes deep in the tournament he will be a lottery pick for sure, most likely at worst a mid-lottery pick.

Eride 4 years, 1 month ago

Hmm, you don't seem to know what you're talking about...

1. Almost every single draft board I can find has Xavier in the lottery.

couranna1 4 years, 1 month ago

I really believe Cole will stay but I think if they project him in the lottery he should go. Something just tells me he wants his Senior night and another chance to defend the title he will win this year

couranna1 4 years, 1 month ago

couranna1 4 years, 1 month ago

couranna1 4 years, 1 month ago

couranna1 4 years, 1 month ago

couranna1 4 years, 1 month ago

txron 4 years, 1 month ago

COLE&X NEEDONE MORE YEAR UNLESS THE MONEY WILL TAKE THEM THROUGH LIFE NOW THEY NEED TOTHINK GAME TO GAME

Steve Jacob 4 years, 1 month ago

Jean1183 4 years, 1 month ago

The selfish part of me wants Cole (and X) to stay.

However, I agree.....do what's best for YOU and your families.

jeffds01 4 years, 1 month ago

go cole, and get all the money you can for you and your family, while you can, before the nba cuts its pay in almost half.....

your services have been much apperciated, and I look forward to you dominating March Madness.

Thanks, Sherron, Xavier, and of course Cole, because we probably won't see any of them every again play in Allen Field House.

MustHaveSalt 4 years, 1 month ago

I hope he does what is best for him. With the pending labor situation in the NBA in 2011, it might -- might -- be best to go now.