Archive for Friday, July 30, 2010

Multi-car accident closes I-470 near Gage in Topeka

Emergency crews work to clear an accident on I-470 near Gage Boulevard in Topeka on Friday, July 30.

July 30, 2010, 1:08 p.m. Updated July 30, 2010, 2:16 p.m.

I-470 and Gage

— An accident involving several vehicles caused a major traffic backup on eastbound I-470 near Gage Boulevard in Topeka.

KTKA.com reports that several people were injured and taken to area hospitals. Two people told KTKA they caused the accident when mattress box spring fell out of the bed of their pickup truck.

Emergency crews detoured traffic onto Gage from I-470 until about 1:45 p.m. At one point, eastbound traffic was reportedly backed up to the 21st Street exit.

Check with LJWorld.com for updates.

Comments

Steve Jacob 4 years, 4 months ago

I hope they know who's truck it came out off.

Vinny1 4 years, 4 months ago

Pretty sure they do.

"Two people told KTKA THEY caused the accident when mattress box spring fell out of the bed of THEIR pickup truck."

puddleglum 4 years, 4 months ago

this is why we need mandatory sterilization for citizens with less than 110 IQ....then we wouldn't have stuff like this happening.

puddleglum 4 years, 4 months ago

crap.. there goes all my voters. wait, they can still vote, right?

Alabamastreet 4 years, 4 months ago

This really is one of the most common things you see when people are moving -- I see mattresses on the side of the road all the time. The best thing to do is to secure it, put something on top of it. Drive a few miles down the highway and then pull off an exit to a side road and check your load before continuing on. Very dangerous, and sad.

monheim 4 years, 4 months ago

Just the other day I watched a metal futon fly out the back of a pickup at the stop sign West of the light at 2nd and McDonald. Not strapped down and the tailgate was down, plastic bed-liner, slid right out.

easyliving 4 years, 4 months ago

Just good old common sense would have saved the day. Puddleglum...may be on to something.

It would be a very boring world though.

puddleglum 4 years, 4 months ago

vote puddleglum for governor, I'm on your side!