Archive for Saturday, January 30, 2010

Police searching for two suspects in connection with armed residential burglary

Two men reportedly held residents at gunpoint, stole property Friday night

January 30, 2010, 3:38 a.m. Updated February 1, 2010, 9:12 p.m.

Police were searching Saturday for two suspects in connection with an armed residential burglary that occurred late Friday night.

According to Lawrence Police Sgt. Ted Bordman, two black men — one armed with a handgun — allegedly entered a residence in the 4500 block of Wimbledon Drive and held three people at gunpoint. A fourth resident who arrived home while the intruders were at the scene was battered by one suspect and suffered minor injuries. The two men removed property from the building and exited in an unknown direction.

The armed suspect was wearing a black and maroon hooded sweatshirt and had a thin beard. The other was wearing a dark hooded sweatshirt.

The victims were two 22-year-old men, a 23-year-old man and a 24-year-old man. Police were dispatched to the scene at 11:05 p.m. The incident allegedly occurred about 30 minutes earlier. According to police reports, the men stole $5,095 of property, including video games, cell phones and computers.

Anyone with information related to the incident is asked to call Lawrence police at 830-7430 or Crime Stoppers at 843-TIPS.

Comments

Escapee 4 years, 2 months ago

Agreed. Long John Silver's x two.

How stupid do you have to be not to figure that out???

Not reported west of Kasold? Not today, buddy.

grammaddy 4 years, 2 months ago

Louie and Co. on the loose again?

50YearResident 4 years, 2 months ago

It's not hard to figure out the time lapse, the perps were in the house for 30 min, thus the incedent started 30 min before police were called. The call being placed right after the perps left.

notjustastudent 4 years, 2 months ago

Wow. It's pretty simple to explain the 30 minutes thing. Even if something fishy was going on, they were probably scared and it's hard to keep track of time when you've got a gun in your face. Considering when the fourth guy came in he was battered (which takes more than a few seconds, sorry for how wrong that sounds, but you get the idea), and the fact that personal experience tells me sometimes people runaround in shock trying to figure out what was taken before calling the police, and the possibility that the cell phones may have also been taken, that could mean the crime could have taken place even earlier. Besides, I think they were giving an estimate, not an exact figure.

Eybea Opiner 4 years, 2 months ago

It smells of fish to me, as well. Do you think that the robbers just picked this particular residence on Wimbledon Drive at random? A residence occupied by young males? I wouldn't doubt it would take 30 minutes to make sure that no "stuff" was left laying around for the police to find.

oneeye_wilbur 4 years, 2 months ago

back in the 1970's incidents of crime and/or domestic battery were rarely reported in the J/W in those days. A local lawyer told me that for fact. There was an attempt to make it look like west of Iowa was all roses and peaches.

lithium45 4 years, 2 months ago

"if police were dispatched at 11:05pm, that means they were called at, or very shortly before, that time, right? But the incident took place 30 minutes earlier???"

They probably had to 'clean up' quickly before calling the police to ensure nothing was left out that they did not want found.

Randall Barnes 4 years, 2 months ago

ALSO MIGHT HAVE TAKEN THEIR CELL PHONES AND TOLD NOT TO CALL THE POLICE,HMMMMM I WOULDNT CALL FOR AT LEAST 30 MINUTES MABY EVEN AN HOUR TO CALM MY NERVES AND GET TO A PHONE SO UNLESS YOU ARE JESUS DONT JUDGE.

Norma Jeane Baker 4 years, 2 months ago

I rest my case...

So, jayhawkca, you are saying/inferring that not one of the 4 persons involved in this violent crime would have their wits about them enough to call the police immediately?

I am asking questions. The article, as written, leaves me with as many questions as answers. My comments do not violate the user policy.

jayhawkca 4 years, 2 months ago

Sure, let's blame the victims or say that their story is fabricated. It's this attitude that hurts victims of crime. Shame on you. Filing a false police report is a crime, so let's give them the benefit of the doubt, seeing as the alleged victims have not been charged with a crime. If the police find that there was no burglary, then feel free to point the finger at the four men involved.

Informed, until you are the victim of a violent crime (which I hope you have not been and infer from your comment that you have not been), you have no way of knowing how you would actually react. Perhaps, in this case, the burglars took their time to find valuables, which could explain why the police were not dispatched for 30 minutes. The circumstances of each violent crime are different.

Alabamastreet 4 years, 2 months ago

Crime spree in west Larry. Glad I live near downtown!

Ward 4 years, 2 months ago

Taxpayer, I don't follow. What's the proof that you mention, and where were the funds intended to go?

Norma Jeane Baker 4 years, 2 months ago

That was my thought, too, AS. As I recall, there were several people (myself included) suggesting something was 'fishy' with that one, and we were poo-poo'd as being too critical -- until the truth came out.

Taxpayer 4 years, 2 months ago

This is more proof that the Stimulus money has not trickled down to all social segments of Lawrence Kansas like it was supposed to do.

AS 4 years, 2 months ago

Can we say Long John Silver's

Norma Jeane Baker 4 years, 2 months ago

If police were dispatched at 11:05pm, that means they were called at, or very shortly before, that time, right? But the incident took place 30 minutes earlier??? If I am the victim of a home intrusion/armed burglary, I am NOT waiting 30 minutes to call police. So, why did these guys? Is there more to their story and they needed to get it straight?

easyliving 4 years, 2 months ago

ProudDad: "According to Lawrence Police Sgt. Ted Bordman, two black men"

grammadday: "The armed suspect was wearing a black and maroon hooded sweatshirt and had a thin beard. The other was wearing a dark hooded sweatshirt"

ProudDad 4 years, 2 months ago

grammaddy..I don't have my glasses on so please help me out. Where in the article did it state that the alleged robbers were black? Thanks!

grammaddy 4 years, 2 months ago

Any description of the alleged robbers other than they were black?