Archive for Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Lawrence man ticketed after being hit by car

Officers cited Gregory Likes for being under the influence in the roadway.

January 20, 2010

A Lawrence man was ticketed after being hit by a car late Tuesday night, police said.

Gregory Likes, 50, received minor injuries from the accident, which occurred about 11:49 p.m. in the 400 block of Michigan Street, said Sgt. Bill Cory, Lawrence police spokesman. The pedestrian refused medical treatment.

Officers cited Likes for being under the influence in the roadway, Cory said.

The driver, Valerie Hird, 18, of Lawrence, was not injured and did not receive a ticket.

Comments

Kent Shrack 6 years ago

I see joggers about every morning, dressed in dark clothes running down the street. There is a city ordinance stating that if there is a sidewalk on either side of the street, you cannot run in the street. Don't we teach or kids to stay out of the street?

iloveme 6 years ago

Why do they need ticket bicyclists? They have all the rights cars do.

Cadillac, can't run on the sidewalks when no one can seem to shovel them.

Randall Barnes 6 years ago

LMAO DON'T THINK HE WAS JOGGING CADILLAC.

labmonkey 6 years ago

iloveme....are you that bicycle blogger? He seems to be really caught up with himself and would probably have a name like iloveme.

puddleglum 6 years ago

maybe we should ticket all the cars. they are all speeding.

Evan Ridenour 6 years ago

"cadillac (Anonymous) says… I see joggers about every morning, dressed in dark clothes running down the street. There is a city ordinance stating that if there is a sidewalk on either side of the street, you cannot run in the street."

Okay.... well I see car drivers run stop signs and red lights every single day.

So there...?

Jimo 6 years ago

"Why do they need ticket bicyclists? They have all the rights cars do. "

And the same responsibilities.

Doh!

parrothead8 6 years ago

Perhaps we should just ticket everybody. Police officers could stand outside front doors every morning, saying, "Good morning, here's your ticket. Now, now, don't get angry. You know you were going to do something wrong today. Since we can't be everywhere at all times, this seems like a good solution."

Like justanothertroll pointed out, there are idiot bicyclists on the roadways...just like this story shows that there are idiot pedestrians on the roadways. We also know there are idiot automobile drivers on the roadways and idiot commenters on message boards. It seems that anyone who is doing something we don't want them to do is an idiot. Perhaps the solution has something to do with patience.

budwhysir 6 years ago

I love it, you people will fight over anything. So lets review the issues. People running with dark clothes on so people cant see them??? Thats a choice, if you choose for me not to see you clearly then you can. Not shovel sidewalk??? Well I can tell you the roads where bad enough that I was not going anywhere anyhow so I didnt need to worry bout my drive or sidewalk why would you need to worry bout it. People running stop signs while driving a car??? Thats just a way to blend into the accepted society we live in here in this fine town. So the moral of this post? If yer at a bar and you dont want to drive home cause it would be illegal, make sure you are wearing dark clothes as not to attract attention to yourself while walking in the middle of the road. Cause if ya dont, you will get a ticket for illegal operation of running shoes. Imagine the backlash if this guy had been dressed in bright caution orange or yellow and walking close to the curb. Can you imagine the complaints from all the drivers as they raced by him in order to make the light that just turned yellow?

beawolf 6 years ago

I still find it amazing that people will walk/run with traffic rather than against it. When I bike in town, it's on the sidewalk. Don't know if there is a law against that and don't care.

Isaias Shannon 6 years ago

Cadillac, you are full of it if you believe that to be true. Pedestrians (including runners) ALWAYS have the right of way. That includes running in the street. Concrete sidewalks are not safe from an impact/injury standpoint, not to mention that they are currently not safe/clear due to the weather. I run each morning with a group, and I can assure you we all take precautions to wear reflective clothing, headlamps, and to run single file, into traffic at the furthest side of the road, as do all the runners I know.

H_Lecter 6 years ago

Some of the pedestrians and bikers can be so insolent; they feel they own the sidewalks. I've been forced to propel my vehicle up over the curb just to make contact with them and more than once I've opened my door to make sure. Their ipods compound the problem as well. Pedestrians feel so safe on the sidewalk that they never hear the cars that approach directly from behind. That anticipatory look of fear is missing from their eyes unless one honks just prior to impact. On occasion, there is a fine line between it being a sport or just an opportunity. Dare I say, "Catch you later?"

budwhysir 6 years ago

I think the world moves fast enough and jogging should be illegal. Who needs to travel that fast outside a car? When I was a kid, I was always told not to run, dont run in the hall dont run in the house and dont run on the SIDEWALK, always use the siderun

Kent Shrack 6 years ago

Violet, Please checkout Kansas State Statute 8-1537 or the Standard Traffic Ordinance Section 68A, enforced by the city of Lawrence. I agree, I may be full of it,, but not for the reason you think. I'm glad you all wear reflective gear and run single file. Most don't.

9070811 6 years ago

The guy was drunk. Valerie was not.

Liberty275 6 years ago

“Why do they need ticket bicyclists? They have all the rights cars do. ”

LOL. Try riding on I70.

Liberty275 6 years ago

"Pedestrians (including runners) ALWAYS have the right of way."

It doesn't do you much good when you are in a pine box.

workinghard 6 years ago

well I see joggers run stop signs and red lights every single day.

So there…? Sorry, couldn't resist. I'll bet Eride is one of those drivers.

BlackVelvet 6 years ago

"Cadillac, you are full of it if you believe that to be true. Pedestrians (including runners) ALWAYS have the right of way. That includes running in the street. Concrete sidewalks are not safe from an impact/injury standpoint"

Oh yes, running on concrete roadways is much easier on the knees and ankle joints! Much easier..

BlackVelvet 6 years ago

sarcasm hidden from view.............................

Tom McCune 6 years ago

How come the drunks never get hurt? Maybe that's an old urban legend, or cop myth, or something. But it usually seems like the drunk drivers (and drunk staggerers) usually manage to walk away and the sober people are the ones who actually get hurt.

The old urban legend was that the drunks are super-relaxed and the sober people tensed up before the collision, leading to the difference in injuries. True? Not true?

melott 6 years ago

I vote for posthumous ticketing for suicyclists.

lester_burnham 6 years ago

I want to shake hands with this cop, thank you!

Anytime you step onto a public street, anywhere, the car should have the right of way.. even w/ the roads on campus. If you want to walk, take the sidewalk, and if you're to afraid to walk, ride the bus. If you have to walk too far to get to the bus, them move closer to a bus stop. If you can't afford to ride the bus, skip lunch. If you're still too poor to ride the bus, leave your apartment and get a cardboard box. If you're still too poor to ride the bus then you should probably just quit at life.

Jonathan Becker 6 years ago

I have always wanted to have on my tombstone: "But I had the right of way." It will be so comforting to my family.

Some rights are relative.

lawthing 6 years ago

I know some people so ugly they should get a ticket.

pfunk81 6 years ago

"Marion (Marion Lynn) says…

“justanothertroll (Anonymous) says…

the police need to start ticketing all of the idiot bicyclists now too.”

Marion writes:

Spot on but it will never happen in The People's Republic of Larwence!

“Greenes” are “special”, don't you know?"

What a surprise, one troll agreeing with another. Some of you guys wouldn't be happy no matter where you lived. Especially Larwence.

HOMETOWNBOY 6 years ago

It should be a national law! Ticket all the STUPID PEOPLE!

HOMETOWNBOY 6 years ago

Oh! Another thought!

We could pay off the national debt by ticketing stupid people. They're Everywhere, They're Everywhere!

kansasfire911 6 years ago

I wonder if he used the line, "But I was drunk in a bar, they THREW me into public."

storm 6 years ago

I'm glad Mr.Likes is okay. Violet, please stop running in the street when a sidewalk is provided; it's against the law.

Leslie Swearingen 6 years ago

H_Lecter good one! I love the way we can go from one man drinking and stumbling in front of a car to every walker, jogger, driver and cyclist in town. Whoa!

Jimo 6 years ago

"Ticket all the stupid people!"

We already do.

Evan Ridenour 6 years ago

"workinghard (Anonymous) says…

well I see joggers run stop signs and red lights every single day.

So there…? Sorry, couldn't resist. I'll bet Eride is one of those drivers."

Hmm...

You are either an idiot or unable to tell satire. Or both. Either way... thanks for the laugh.