Archive for Friday, February 12, 2010

UNC coach Williams apologizes for Haiti remarks

February 12, 2010

North Carolina basketball coach Roy Williams apologized Thursday for comments he made earlier in the week that compared his disappointment in his struggling team’s season to the suffering in Haiti.

“On February 1st at my weekly radio show I made a comment about a colleague telling me that Haiti was a catastrophe and we were just having a difficult season. I said that does put basketball in perspective,” Williams said in a prepared statement on North Carolina’s official Web site.

“However, Tuesday, at a press conference, I referenced her comment again but I neglected to say that it puts basketball in perspective. In no way am I equating the tragedy in Haiti with basketball. I'm sorry that my statement at the press conference made it seem like I was comparing the two. The people of Haiti are suffering through unimaginably difficult times. I know very well that we are just playing a game.”

Williams on Tuesday had said at the press conference: “Massage therapist told me, she said, ‘You know, coach, what happened in Haiti is a catastrophe. What you’re having is a disappointment.’ And I told her that depends on what chair she was sitting in. Because it does feel like a catastrophe to me, because it is my life.”

Earlier, on his radio show, he made this statement to host Woody Durham: “The young lady that’s our massage therapist, she had the best line ... because that was ... I saw her before the North Carolina State game, and she said, ‘Coach, you may not believe this, or may not feel it all the time, but, what they have in Haiti is a catastrophe. What you have is a disappointment.’ And, it’s true. It’s something ... I said, well right now in my mind and my body, it feels like a catastrophe, but it is. What those people are having to go through is just unbelievable and it does put what we're going through in a different light, but it doesn't make it any easier though Woody, but it does make us understand what we’re facing.”

Comments

OldEnuf2BYurDad 4 years, 2 months ago

I really enjoyed this thread. Lots of great posts.

And yes, Dean Smith no longer walks upright.

hip_gma 4 years, 2 months ago

What a worm he is. I get it that coaching is his job and it's a difficult time for him and the team. But to reference the Haiti earthquake? Just like when he had the guy escorted out of the game for yelling something when NC was going to shoot a free throw. Then he made some lame-ass comment at his press conference instead of having the ba&&s to say he overreacted. Even the best coaches and teams eventually have an off season. Guess this year's it's Roy's.

BorderRat 4 years, 2 months ago

Is Carolina Blue the past tense for Carolina Blows?

puddleglum 4 years, 2 months ago

patygrl (Anonymous) says…

Pglum, you nailed it on the head. I remember being impressed when the Illinois coach, who had beaten us, wanted to coach at KU. I'm a happy little 'hawk.

no, YOU nailed it on the head! I remember looking up after each time our boys had the ball in the low post and there was a foul on Illinois-there was Self, clapping as if something good for his team had happened...I soon figured out that his chess-game was to foul and frustrate...we missed free throws, we missed open shots. He kept sending in tall, slow white dudes to foul our players, and our coach was unable to recognize or adjust...and we lost.
ever since then, I coined Self a 'chess-match-style' coach that we would love to have. So happy we have the best coach in the U.S.A. and he is a pretty good recruiter also!

Pat Long 4 years, 2 months ago

puddleglum 4 years, 2 months ago

I guess I can't really forgive Roy for dissing us for UNC.... But once we stomped their ass into the ground, I kinda just don't care anymore...

Now Dean Smith is another story.

he is the one who deserves all the IRE, and he should never be invited back to lawrence.

Esq2eB 4 years, 2 months ago

He also then stated that Haiti was a great place to be. And then he left. While crying.

july241983 4 years, 2 months ago

In a later statement, Coach Williams noted that he "has more desire for Haiti to recover in his little finger, than the entire nation of Haiti has put together."

randysavage 4 years, 2 months ago

To donate to the University of North Carolina Men's Basketball Disaster Relief Fund text message "LMAO" to 92992.

(Standard text messaging rates apply)

ivalueamerica 4 years, 2 months ago

stupid miss-speak, appropriate apology.

BigPrune 4 years, 2 months ago

Hopefully Roy has a happy ending.

ChiHawkInKS 4 years, 2 months ago

I just want to see Roy wearing another Jayhawk patch in the Final Four again.

edjayhawk 4 years, 2 months ago

When is going to be time to bury the hatchet with Roy? Yes we didn't like the way he left, but so what, you can't go back in the past. Its' not like he had a losing record here or anything. Plus why pay attention to him when we have the best coach in the nation right here.

jaywalker 4 years, 2 months ago

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

I feel bad for Roy. He looked awful at the post-Duke news session, this season is really dragging on him. Now he gets to have the PC Gestapo come down on him for an otherwise innocuous comment.

Hang in there, Coach!

Ricky_Vaughn 4 years, 2 months ago

What a non-story.

rhd99 (Anonymous) says…

Roy who? Bill Self is our man. We are doing great this season. Heck, since Self has been here, we have improved significantly. Let's be happy & root our Hawks to victory!

Way to turn your back on the guy who built this program. KU wasn't this good when Larry Brown/Roy Williams got here. Have a little respect.

hesshawk 4 years, 2 months ago

OOPS

Better get that tar-heel out of you mouth, there, Ol' Roy

Enjoy your long off-season

rhd99 4 years, 2 months ago

consumer1 4 years, 2 months ago

Coach Williams is as ever a class act. He always has been and always will be. Just let it go...We have Self now, another national title, and the prospects of another one coming.

jayhawkinnc 4 years, 2 months ago

UNC won't even make the NIT. NIT is for bubble teams and UNC is not even near the bubble right now. they have at least 3 regular season losses left in them....at Duke, at Wake, at Ga Tech. plus 1 loss in the ACC Tourney....that's 14 losses. at 17-14, they won't get in the NIT unless the committee just lets them in on name alone. from what i'm hearing out here (i live in North Carolina), UNC won't even accept an NIT bid. we'll see......

newmedia 4 years, 2 months ago

Heel's in the NIT !! Gotta love it.......

KEITHMILES05 4 years, 2 months ago

STFU Roy. You still want to have the public feel sorry for you.