Archive for Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Police looking for light-colored, late model Mazda 3 in connection with January hit-and-run

Police have released information regarding the suspect vehicle in a January hit-and-run accident. Officials say it is a light-colored Mazda 3.

February 9, 2010

Police are looking for a silver or light-colored 2004 to 2006 Mazda 3, with possible front-end damage, in connection with a Jan. 31 hit-and-run accident that left a Lawrence woman with serious injuries.

Lawrence police are looking for a light-colored 2004 to 2006 Mazda 3 — which would be similar to the car in this Wikipedia photo — in connection with a Jan. 31 hit-and-run accident.

Officers released specifics of the suspect car on Tuesday and asked anyone with information about the accident to call detectives at 830-7430. Anonymous tips can be made by calling Crimestoppers, at 843-TIPS (8477).

Witnesses said a driver hit 32-year-old Krystyn Renfro, as she was walking in the 2700 block of Lawrence Avenue, and then kept driving. The accident occurred about 1:15 a.m. Jan. 31, a Sunday morning.

Renfro was transported by air ambulance to a Kansas City trauma center, where she was listed in serious condition on Tuesday.

Comments

sundancewierdo 4 years, 2 months ago

Hey KR, you really think you will get the full story from the LJW? ROTFL! If we are lucky one of the witnesses will get on here and let us know what happened...

Good Luck Krystyn, we are thinking about you, and hope you recover soon...

ralphralph 4 years, 2 months ago

@KRichards ... I don't remember ever seeing that question answered. I suppose it's impolite to even ask it. It seems like there are sidewalks on both sides of the street in that area, though I guess they could have been snow-covered or something. I don't know ... anybody else know? btw ... I was driving last night, dropped someone off, and was leaving the parking lot when I spotted a man about 5 feet from my car, walking in the street in dark pants, dark jacket, dark stocking cap ... He seemed to come out of nowhere and I thought to myself that if I had been looking the other direction at that moment I might have turned right into him. Even though I would have stopped if I had hit him, that wouldn't have kept me from hitting him ... I still get chills thinking about it.
Everybody be careful out there.

Keith Richards 4 years, 2 months ago

What was the story here? Was she in the middle of the road or on the sidewalk when the car hit her?

anoriginal 4 years, 2 months ago

There's a woman in the hospital in serious condition after this accident. She's a mom. Sending lots of thoughts and good vibes for your full recovery, Krystyn.

lawrenceguy40 4 years, 2 months ago

Michaelj is one of those guys who drives around unable to see out of the back of his truck because of all the "I support the highway patrol association" stickers. It is a knee jerk reaction of most people to support any law enforcement because they think it will improve their chances should they ever be on the wrong side of the law.....

WHY 4 years, 2 months ago

MichaelJ, you are out of your mind. LPD is the laughing stock of police departments in the midwest. Ask a cop from another town.

Keith Richards 4 years, 2 months ago

That was one of the funniest thing I have ever read MikeJ.

BlackVelvet 4 years, 2 months ago

"Police won't check KC or Topeka." What makes you think that? Some on here may not like the LKPD, but I know they are one of the best Police agencies in this part of the country.

Keith Richards 4 years, 2 months ago

My first guess would be to look at vehicle registrations of the car descriptions in that southwest area of town. If the car was driving down a residential street at 1:30 in the morning, my guess is the suspect lives somewhere nearby, and swiftly pulled their car in a garage.

WHY 4 years, 2 months ago

Or just drive to another town to have the work done. Police won't check KC or Topeka.

macon47 4 years, 2 months ago

big deal, if they catch him and he is a ku student all he gets is a weekend in jail

Pywacket 4 years, 2 months ago

I would assume that the police have put the word out to auto body repair shops, which should be on the lookout for someone with a car of this description wanting to have front-end damage fixed in a hurry. Or have done so already, in the time since the accident.

People who do such work on the side or out of their home garage should also be vigilant and report any requests for front-end damage repair after the accident date. It stands to reason that the kind of coward who would hit & run would also take action to hide the evidence as secretly as possible. He or she would likely try to find a friend of a friend who would do the work off the radar of police scrutiny.

lawrenceguy40 4 years, 2 months ago

Isn't this is the same vehicle type that they were looking for last year for the child abduction attempt?

macon47 4 years, 2 months ago

all of the rice rockets look alike to me

flux 4 years, 2 months ago

Bob Kraxner 4 years, 2 months ago

Stop serving alcohol to college kids, and things like this will be far less likely to happen.