Archive for Friday, December 17, 2010

Armed robbery reported in the 1600 block of Indiana

Police are investigating an armed robbery in the 1600 block of Indiana.

Police are investigating an armed robbery in the 1600 block of Indiana.

December 17, 2010, 4:22 p.m. Updated December 17, 2010, 9:28 p.m.

Police are investigating an armed robbery Friday in the 1600 block of Indiana Street.

About 4:10 p.m., the Lawrence Police Department was called to a home where two individuals armed with a long gun forced their way into the home. Eight people were in the residence at the time, Lawrence Capt. Dan Ward said. None of the victims were injured during the incident.

The police are investigating the crime scene, interviewing witnesses and looking for the suspects.

Ward said additional details were needed before releasing more information on the suspects or the crime.

According to emergency radio traffic, one suspect is described as wearing a dark, puffy jacket and having a chin-strap goatee and corn rows. The other suspect is described as having a shaved head, wearing dark jeans, a sweater vest and chains around his neck.

Anyone with information about the incident can call Lawrence police at 785-832-7650 or leave a tip at the Douglas County Crime Stoppers hotline by calling 785-843-TIPS.

Check back with LJWorld.com for updates.

Comments

kubacker 7 years, 1 month ago

Lawrence is fast becoming Topeka-East.

SamShaw 7 years, 1 month ago

this is what happens when you get too many renters in one city.

parrothead8 7 years, 1 month ago

Renters are often transients with little regard for their neighbors? That's quite a generalization you've made regarding the 30-40% of the American population who rents.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 7 years, 1 month ago

Carjackers always seem to target people driving cars, too. Should we ban or severely restrict them, as well?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 7 years, 1 month ago

No, it doesn't make sense, which is why I didn't say it.

PalinPalms 7 years, 1 month ago

You know some people that are not as enlitened as the TheWhirl would point out how cities that are not as liveable as say Houston or Topeka work to keep places attractive to renters.

We should do everything to make the town unattractive to dirty renters with transient jobs like visiting faculty or graduate student or even worse those stinking entrapranures that would rather start some hopey changey new technology business than pour their money into a mortgage on a split level.

kernal 7 years, 1 month ago

Lawrence is a college town. Of course it's full of renters! Show me a college town that's not.

MyName 7 years, 1 month ago

How I long for the good old days when robbers all wore a black Zorro mask and those goofy black and white striped sweaters!

pace 7 years, 1 month ago

I find it horrifying that thugs' access to automatics is supported by advocates as the right to hunt.

kansasredlegs 7 years, 1 month ago

Agreed. I also liked it when the Communist and National Socialist Parties took away all its citizens' weapons as a way to make society safer from the thugs of their time. Down with citizen rights, three cheers for Authoritarinism / Absolutism.

timetospeakup 7 years, 1 month ago

Uhh - it said semi-automatic, not automatic. Not a machine gun like you want to think, sorry

pace 7 years, 1 month ago

You are correct I should of typed semi automatic. What do you think the kids were hunting? Do you suggest we dress our kids in bright orange so they don't get mistaken for prey on their way home from school? It is just total authoritarianism to suggest thugs not have easy access to semiautomatics in case they need to hunt.

timetospeakup 7 years, 1 month ago

The second amendment is not about hunting, it's about self-defense.

I, nor the NRA, support criminal usage of gun such as this. I don't know anybody that does. What's your point?

pace 7 years, 1 month ago

NRA is the largest pro-hunting organization in the world. I support hunting, I too am against criminal activities. I don't support stances on hunting to make it easy for thugs to have semiautomatics.

I am sorry you didn't realize the NRA had used hunting as one of the primary reason to block legislation to restrict semi automatic possession.

pace 7 years, 1 month ago

ok lets keep this discussion to facts and history. Orangchubb's conversation is empty of any content of value.

zbarf 7 years, 1 month ago

Pace... big difference between a semi-automatic and automatic.

*semi-automatic is 1 trigger pull per shot and is used all the time for hunting. These are completely legal and should stay that way.

*automatic is a military style machine gun like a M-16 that continues to fire as you hold the trigger down... these are already illegal unless you have a special license.

Seems like there is always confusion on this point... do you agree

Chelsea Kapfer 7 years, 1 month ago

Hes right.

All automatic weapons are banned, unless used by the military. This is kind of a double standard. Weapons of warfare are used to kill innocent people, but we can't protect our property with automatic weapons?

Semi-auto weapons are legal in every state, I believe. I know in Washington DC, it's really difficult to legally own a gun.

timetospeakup 7 years, 1 month ago

Automatic weapons can be owned by police departments and individual officers, with minimal hassle, in nearly every state.

Automatic weapons may also be owned by individual citizens with a clean record in some states (Kansas included) but they are highly regulated, limited to only guns made before 1986, and are rare and expensive - to the point that you could easily have $10,000 in anything legal and safe to shoot.

alm77 7 years, 1 month ago

So the resident was home during this? How terrifying!

beerbaron03 7 years, 1 month ago

Chelsea Kapfer 7 years, 1 month ago

Super-scary, and in broad daylight, too! According to the emergency traffic I heard, there are a lot of witnesses, so hopefully they will catch them soon.

alm77 7 years, 1 month ago

I lost the link to your page. Could you repost it? Also, are you the one with the twitter feed?

Chelsea Kapfer 7 years, 1 month ago

I will send it to you in a message....I'm following the rules and stufff.

fu7il3 7 years, 1 month ago

How is describing a hair style profiling?

jeffds01 7 years, 1 month ago

$10 says its drug related.....

who would like to bet?

Adrienne Sanders 7 years, 1 month ago

That might explain why they waited 15 minutes before reporting it.

bbkmom 7 years, 1 month ago

Why is it drug related? Because they waited to report it? I happen to know that the robbers took everyone's car keys and cell phones, maybe it took them 15 minutes to get access to call the police. From what else was stolen I am thinking it wasn't drug related...believe it or not it was probably random. If it was drug related why report it at all and take the risk of being caught yourself?

Matt Bowers 7 years, 1 month ago

I'm curious, why is everything negative that happens in Lawrence have something to do with Topeka? I'm being serious. Do the young people from Topeka and KC come to Lawrence to party and hang out?

Just because you are dressed a certain way, doesn't make you a thug. I find it funny how so many people on this site are quick to stereotype. The fact of the matter is that the real thief's are the lobbyist, Wall St., and banks that are too big to fail. Its different for them because they were a suit to work. Those people have more of a negative impact on our lives than any random act of violence.

I'm not condoning violence or easy access to guns. The same people who complain about "Thugs" and "Topeka" are probably the same people who want no restrictions on guns. Maybe everyone should reconsider "live by the sword, die by the sword."

Best wishes to the victims and your families, hopefully you will be able to rebound from this.

pace 7 years, 1 month ago

Correction, we haven't caught lobbyist on camera stabbing, shooting people and innocent bystanders. Doesn't mean they aren't literally responsible for deaths and corruption.

Kyle Reed 7 years, 1 month ago

"Just because you are dressed a certain way, doesn't make you a thug. I find it funny how so many people on this site are quick to stereotype."

Maybe not, but being dressed that way and breaking into someones house armed with guns certainly does.

beatrice 7 years, 1 month ago

"After the robbery, the residents waited about 15 minutes before reporting the crime, Ward said."

Don't you just hate it when robbers tell you to count to 10,000 before calling the cops.

nobody1793 7 years, 1 month ago

Especially when you get to 9,521, lose count and have to start all over again.

Chelsea Kapfer 7 years, 1 month ago

Curious. Do you think they were hiding something?

doc1 7 years, 1 month ago

They waited 15 minutes to hide the drug paraphernalia. I''m sure it has a lot to do with all the drug traffic at the house too.

stillstanding 7 years, 1 month ago

Uh-oh. I dont' think your fancy pants businessman would appreciate you calling his cash cows 'transient ex-convicts'. tsk-tsk. You're so silly whirly-boy; if you're just placing blame anywhere, I want to remind you that some multi-millionaire businessman with no criminal record has built hundreds of housing units to accomodate those loathesome renters, isn't he to blame as well? We live in a COLLEGE TOWN, Twirly-whirly; People come from around the globe to study at KU, contributing to the wonderful variety of culture in our town. Our local economy would not survive without those students- oops, I mean transients ex-convicts. So silly, girly-whirly.

Casey_Jones 7 years, 1 month ago

Eight people living in one house? Where do you get your information?

bbkmom 7 years, 1 month ago

I know that one person there didn't live there, was just visiting.

Nikki May 7 years, 1 month ago

Several people were involved, but there are only 2 suspects?

Nikki May 7 years, 1 month ago

I swear it said several people armed with guns yesterday, now it says 2.

alm77 7 years, 1 month ago

"...two individuals armed with a long gun forced their way into the home."

Omar comin'!

KUFILM 7 years, 1 month ago

This is the deal... None of you have any idea what you are talking about. Drug related or not this would be an incredibly traumatic situation. There is violence everywhere. Robberies happen every day. It has nothing to do with whether or not the tenants are renters or owners. This is a college town. College kids don't own homes. This incident happened less than a block from campus.

Oh... and Dear @SamShaw... Lawrence has ALWAYS been a huge drug traffic town. We are in between many large cities and college students buy a lot of grass. Blame the trust_fund babies who buy the drugs. Not the people making money off of them. So look up the owner of the house and realize that it's probably some students working through school. Finals just got over and they were probably trying to relax. How would you feel if a week of hell had just come to a finish and all of a sudden you think it might be your last day to live. No one has any right to discuss this matter and claim to know what really happened.

Chelsea Kapfer 7 years, 1 month ago

"Blame the trust_fund babies who buy the drugs. Not the people making money off of them. "

I think maybe they are BOTH to blame.

KUFILM 7 years, 1 month ago

perhaps. but all the same... dealers or not, no one deserves to be put in that situation

Chelsea Kapfer 7 years, 1 month ago

That is very, very true. It was probably really scary. And you are also right that noone REALLY knows what happened, except those that were actually there. Can't wait for the details to unfold, if they ever do.

KUFILM 7 years, 1 month ago

liberals? why is this a political thing? 8 people could have been killed... No one deserves to lose their life... especially over some "pot"... it's people like TheWhirl and SamShaw that make this world a screwed up place. NOT any specific political party or the people you call "criminals" or "thugs"... You make me sick

Kaw Pickinton 7 years, 1 month ago

Because all of the right-wingers are too f-ed up on oxycontin to care.

KUFILM 7 years, 1 month ago

it sure is a waste of police resources to go after armed gunmen

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 7 years, 1 month ago

I get it now. If we just outlaw rentals, the drug problem will disappear.

Why hasn't anyone ever thought of this before?

KUFILM 7 years, 1 month ago

guess what? if it was legal there would be no black market... no dealers... no robbers... less crime... lower taxes...

KUFILM 7 years, 1 month ago

no one said it did... It was merely a guess as to what may have happened. get over yourself...

bbkmom 7 years, 1 month ago

Finally, someone with a brain makes a comment on this! Thanks KUFILM,

KUFILM 7 years, 1 month ago

yes... I'm 15 years old... There is no way I could possibly have any idea what finals week is like. Ask anyone who isn't a straight A student. Finals are stressful. We all dread them. It WAS a weak of hell for me and my friends... I'm just assuming it was for others too. Sorry we can't all be geniuses like all of you.I study my butt off and still don't do all that well. But guess what? I'm making you all look like idiots on this thread. believe it or not... there are more people who agree with me than there are who agree with you. My kind of people just don't speak up because they don't all know how to stand-up for what they believe in.

cozy 7 years, 1 month ago

Its disturbing that you are trying to make yourself feel better by picking on a teenager.

compmd 7 years, 1 month ago

Reading about this robbery and then the comments on it make me think everyone here took extra dose of stupid pills this morning. I can only imagine the horror if JK let some of you people type in all caps.

Matt Schwartz 7 years, 1 month ago

sam shaw, like a really bad song played on the radio, over and over again. how can we change your station?

bbkmom 7 years, 1 month ago

Oh my goodness...Lawrence is apparently full of idiots and all of them comment on this story. If you don't know the actual facts then don't comment, how about that? I know the facts...I was not there but I know someone who was...and no one in the house is a drug dealer. This was not a drug deal gone bad, this was two thugs thinking they had a drug dealer's house and were wrong. They got away with very little in the way of what they were after and got no drugs or drug money because there was none there! The kids waited 15 minutes because they were all upstairs and were concerned that the thugs were still downstairs...it took a delivery guy knocking on the door to make them realize they were safe again and could go next door and call the cops...since the thugs took all their cell phones and car keys. How about people don't make judgements until they know the facts?

kubsdrvr 7 years, 1 month ago

Maybe they need to question you Whirl. Why would they question a person that knew someone that got robbed?

Reporter: Excuse me sir, what can you tell us about the man that car jacked your wife?

Whirl: Well he probably rents an apartment and doesn't follow gun laws, and well he needs to die by a sword!!!

cozy 7 years, 1 month ago

I think you need to develop better reading comprehension, she said she knew someone that was at the home at the time. Why ignore what you've already read?

kernal 7 years, 1 month ago

Okay, Whirl, I know you're new on here, at least as TheWhirl, but you and Sam are acting like you just blew into town a few weeks ago.

Your reply to bbkmom is beyond moronic.

KUFILM 7 years, 1 month ago

maybe it doesn't happen all the time... that doesn't mean its impossible. i lose more brain cells reading your ridiculous comments than students do using drugs.

KUFILM 7 years, 1 month ago

exactly... its even worse that its happening to innocent people. so don't just assume that every victim brought it upon themselves. And thanks for the advice... will do

justsomewench 7 years, 1 month ago

I am embarrassingly free and easy with my commas. I can entirely related.

Casey_Jones 7 years, 1 month ago

"so many people living in it"

Again, where are you getting this information? Surely you're not assuming that eight people live there because there were eight people there when they were robbed...? Look at the size of the house! How many bedrooms do you think there are?

Chelsea Kapfer 7 years, 1 month ago

KUFILM 7 years, 1 month ago

why would u ever give out an address like that? I'm sure they don't want people snooping around their home or their private lives... They have just been through a traumatic experience. and guess what? if it WAS a drug dealing house, I'm sure they are DONE with all of that. Why would they risk it again? plus obviously the cops know, which is all that matters. Everyone should mind their own business and let the cops do their job. Are you scared the twenty-something pot-dealer is going to hurt you?

KUFILM 7 years, 1 month ago

so what're you going to do? go knock on the door? make a citizen's arrest? vigilante justice perhaps? I dare you! If these kids are as dangerous as you claim, then perhaps they will put YOU out of OUR misery.

KUFILM 7 years, 1 month ago

what ordinance violation? why does there have to be 8 people living there for there to be 8 people in the house? i have 8-10 people hanging at my apartment sometimes, yet only three people live here. College students are social. they have friends over. You must be an old man... you aren't very well versed in reality.

Chelsea Kapfer 7 years, 1 month ago

I'm not just "giving out the address" to anyone- that's why I said private message me, so I could make sure there was no ill intentions. Besides- the picture of the house was printed in the paper and the block and street was printed...so I don't get what the big deal is. Pull the police report, it will all be there. And yes, I am a little scared of drug-dealers.

KUFILM 7 years, 1 month ago

I give up... I'm sorry I attempted to have a battle of wits with unarmed men... (SamShaw... The Whirl...) sickening (that you don't value the lives of others, criminals or not)... selfish (that you are worried about your tax dollars going to waste on a home invasion, dealers or not) and ignorant. I AM just a kid... and I hope to God I don't end up like you...

Chelsea Kapfer 7 years, 1 month ago

I have unfortunately found that you are right. Thanks for laying it out in black and white, before I got myself caught up, too.

cozy 7 years, 1 month ago

Its great that an "adult" has to make fun of a teenager (on the internet-go figure!) to feel better about themselves.

I'm guessing that you are this type of person: http://www.parentdish.com/2010/10/13/family-of-dying-child-cyber-bullied-by-neighbors/?a_dgi=aolshare_facebook This is a disturbing news story about a dying child that was cyber bullied by their neighbors. Just total trash.

sowens 7 years, 1 month ago

I just made an account specifically to call out who ever this “SamShaw” idiot is. But, according to LJWorld’s policy, most of the comments would fall under the categories of being abusive, vulgar, harmful, harassing, threatening, and hateful. Which brings up another point, how is SamShaw asking/demanding the address of this house not invasive of another’s privacy?

sowens 7 years, 1 month ago

....I'm making one of the comments anyway. SamShaw, how high were you when you made all these posts?