Archive for Thursday, December 16, 2010

Crews extinguish fire under street and in storm sewers along 27th Terrace

Looking east toward the intersection of Belle Haven Drive and West 27th Terrace, firefighter work to extinguish a fire that was spreading through the storm sewers and a drainage culvert Dec. 16, 2010. Several youths were seen fleeing the area of the fire, shortly before the fire started.

December 16, 2010, 3:28 p.m. Updated December 16, 2010, 9:13 p.m.

A brush fire that started in the culvert along West 27th Street near Louisiana Street and spread under the street and through the storm sewers was quickly extinguished Thursday afternoon.

Multiple Lawrence Douglas County Fire and Medical units were called to the scene and to extinguish the fire.

Police had shut down the road while fire crews worked the scene, but it has since reopened. They requested a city sand and salt truck be dispatched to the area because the road had become slick with ice.

Witnesses reported seeing several high school-aged looking youths fleeing the area shortly before the fire started.

Battalion Chief Lyle Schwartz Thursday evening said the incident was still under investigation and that no additional information was available.

Comments

MarchSadness 3 years, 9 months ago

LJW, this is off the subject, but there was a bicyclist hit by a car on Kasold just north of Bob Billings over an hour ago. Where is this story? Everyone around here is concerned and would like to get some details on the situation.

ctrowbridge 3 years, 9 months ago

MarchSadness, We're checking and will post as soon as we can. Thanks! Caroline Trowbridge, community editor

Pitt_Mackeson 3 years, 9 months ago

Very scary. My grandmother lives on the corner on that street, saw all the black smoke from my house and drove over. Stupid kids, hope they get caught and fined.

Khublai_Juan 3 years, 9 months ago

We just need Steven Seagall to come save us now.

Maxwell Butterfield 3 years, 9 months ago

How scary! I saw the scene soon after the fire was put out. When I saw all the cop cars around that creek, I was thinking that someone had fallen in. Thank god nobody was hurt. And I there would be some mention of "youths" running from the scene. What Pitt said... stupid kids.

blindrabbit 3 years, 9 months ago

Somebody leaf burning; I really miss the pungent smell of that activity that was allowed many years ago in Lawrence. So much for progress!

KS_Country_Gal 3 years, 9 months ago

I actually saw a woman raking leaves into a drainage culvert the other day...not just a small amount, but a very large amount of leaves! If someone were to toss a cigarette butt out of their car and it rolled into the drainage culvert, it could start the same kind of fire! Hey people, those drainage culverts are for water, not for putting trash and leaves in just because you're too lazy to pick your stuff up off of the ground! I'm guessing these are the same people that complain the most when the water backs up onto their streets!

KS_Country_Gal 3 years, 9 months ago

Hollered at her as I drove by! Maybe I should have called the city or LPD. Oh...wait, the city employees don't work on the weekends!

Kyle Chandler 3 years, 9 months ago

i was walking the dog along the naismith park trail around 2:30 and there were a bunch of kids playing on the frozen creek. suspicious to say the least.

ou812mr2 3 years, 9 months ago

Yes, very suspicious to see young children playing on ice! you should have reported this to lpd. Come on. Kids will be kids and just because they play on ice does not make them criminals.

I_Bejewel 3 years, 9 months ago

Not criminals, but at 2:30 on a school day? Possible truancy.

Nikki May 3 years, 9 months ago

It was after 3 when the firetrucks were heading to the fire, because South gets out after 3 and they were out and I was in that area picking up my kid. However, there were finals at the high school yesterday and they didn't have class in the PM.

kernal 3 years, 9 months ago

Don't the schools get out early on Wednesdays? Also, could have been home schooled students out on recess to give their mom a break.

Nikki May 3 years, 9 months ago

The smoke didn't look like leaves. When I was heading to the jr. high it was right before the fire trucks got there and I didn't like the looks of fire all over the ground. Looked freaky. All the jr high kids were running towards it. Luckily they and the elementary kids weren't hurt. There was school staff over there sending kids away by the time I made it around the circle.

Jake1552 3 years, 9 months ago

that smoke smelld like weed, darn kids

deec 3 years, 9 months ago

I once knew a family with nine kids, . Two of the boys got caught by their parents with a quarter pound or so of weed. Mom and Dad lectured the culprits, lengthily, on the evils of weed while burning the product slowly and meticulously in the fireplace. A couple of the brothers were on the roof during said lecture. They inhaled.