Archive for Monday, December 13, 2010

Police searching for suspect in Walmart armed robbery

December 13, 2010

Lawrence police are looking for a suspect in an armed robbery Monday night at Walmart, 3300 Iowa.

According to Lawrence Police Sgt. Dave Hubbel, the incident occurred about 8:56 p.m. just inside the shopping center. The suspect approached the building's money center and produced a handgun. He demanded money from the clerks working behind the counter. When they were unable to open the cash register drawer, the suspect broke into it and took an undisclosed amount of money.

The suspect left the store, entered what Hubbel described as a red or maroon station wagon and fled the scene.

The suspect was described as wearing a hat and scarf that concealed all of his face except his eyes. He was also said to be wearing gloves and a long coat. The suspect vehicle was last seen driving northbound on Ousdahl Road.

No one was injured during the incident and the investigation into the incident is ongoing.

Anyone with information about the incident can call Lawrence police at 785-832-7650 or leave a tip at the Douglas County Crime Stoppers hotline by calling 785-843-TIPS.

Comments

bearded_gnome 3 years, 4 months ago

autie (anonymous) says…

I'm with B_G on this one. Just how many red/moron station wagons are in the area? Unless it was Clark Griswold, LPD should wrap this one up by the end of the morning shift.

December 14, 2010 at 9:05 a.m.

---love the misspell thar Autie Cuzin! LOL!!!

guess the moron wagon tellet on him.

whatupdown 3 years, 4 months ago

Maroon Ford Taurus Wagon, Topeka/Lawrence?

julz 3 years, 4 months ago

Could it be related to the Walmart robbery in Topeka a couple weeks ago?

xr650rsource 3 years, 4 months ago

irvan moore 3 years, 4 months ago

he shoulda stolen a hoodie while he was there so he could be properly attired for his next robbery.

yankeevet 3 years, 4 months ago

Tis the Christmas season...........lock and load........

Randall Barnes 3 years, 4 months ago

police have been sitting on the red wagon since midnight and they are still there.

autie 3 years, 4 months ago

jeffds01 3 years, 4 months ago

I was in wal-mart while this happened, had just gotten to the check out registers when first police were running in the door. Crazy to think I could have tackled him and been a hero if I would have checked out five minutes earlier...haha NOT! - anyway....

Friendly wal-mart employee, informed me that every cash register has up to $5,000, and the money center has up to $10, 000 at one time, that's more than the cash limits at the bank I used to work at. I bet Wal-Mart is glad I wasn't planning a robbery or anything, considering the check out clerk told me everything I needed to know....

The police responded very quickly, but looked like ducks out of the pond in Wal-Mart, because they had no idea where to start.....

somedude20 3 years, 4 months ago

I bet this fine chap was just getting some money so he could provide his family with the Christmas that they deserve

crissamber 3 years, 4 months ago

Yeah, when I found out, I was on clock at the other Walmart across town. Just so happens I was working in our customer service/money center, the thought of the guy possibly coming to us was super scary.

Randall Barnes 3 years, 4 months ago

every year when it gets cold robberies happen.allways have

bearded_gnome 3 years, 4 months ago

The suspect then left the store, entered what Hubbel described as a red or maroon station wagon and fled the scene.

The suspect was described as wearing a hat and scarf that concealed all of his face except his eyes. He was also said to be wearing gloves and a long coat. The suspect vehicle was last seen driving east on 33rd Street and then northbound on Ousdahl Road.

---LOL! "red or maroon station wagon!" let's see, there might be five on the road in lawrence? who drives an actual station wagon anymore?

was this guy time transported from the '70s???

hope they catch this dude quick.

Bob Forer 3 years, 4 months ago

Pretty bold to rob Walmart in the middle of the Christmas Season. Lots of people in the store, with the possibility of an off-duty cop or C&C citizen in the vicinity.

Like convenience stores, Walmart has strict polices regarding availabe cash in cash registers, and the possibility of scoring more than a few hundred bucks is not good. But who ever said criminals were versed in risk/benefit analysis.

SamShaw 3 years, 4 months ago

Lawrence is starting to remind me of Wichita.

Gandalf 3 years, 4 months ago

Anybody been keepin a eye on the football team?

geekin_topekan 3 years, 4 months ago

OK, I go away for ten days and this place goes to heck.