Archive for Monday, December 13, 2010

KU research shows Asian-American men earn less than white men

December 13, 2010

A Kansas University sociology researcher has found that Asian-American men earn significantly less than their similarly qualified white counterparts.

The gap is even true for Asian-American men who were born in the United States and speak perfect English. They earn 8 percent less than whites, even after factoring in college majors, places of residence and levels of education.

ChangHwan Kim, assistant professor of sociology at KU, led the study.

“We have not reached a color-blind society yet,” he said. “As an individual, you can reach as high as president,” but ethnic groups as a whole have yet to reach full equality with whites.

The research appears in the December issue of the American Sociological Review. Kim authored the article, titled “Have Asian American Men Achieved Labor Market Parity with White Men?” with Arthur Sakamoto of the University of Texas-Austin.

They used data from the 2003 National Survey of College Graduates to compile earnings data.

For Asian-American men who were born overseas and completed their education in a foreign country, the gap is even wider; they make 29 percent less than white men in the United States.

The study also found that Asian-American men who earned their highest degree at an American institution — but were born and previously educated abroad — had incomes 14 percent lower than white men.

Kim said the gap was shrinking, but “we still have some room to improve.”

Comments

xclusive85 4 years, 8 months ago

Does this mean that they used figures that were seven years old?

beeshlii 4 years, 8 months ago

Even more disturbing Native American Man earn less than Asian-American men.

Icy_Flame48 4 years, 8 months ago

I wonder why that is???

I know, I know...lol

candyapplered 4 years, 8 months ago

This is a totally biased report done by a liberal college. All the Asian men I know are loaded. Not so much the Indians, but they were never rich to begin with. At least not money rich, they had land and stuff and traded mostly shells for things.

4 years, 8 months ago

It's ok, it wasn't his money anyway.

walter_sobchak 4 years, 8 months ago

Also, Dude, chinaman is not the preferred nomenclature. Asian-American, please.

somedude20 4 years, 8 months ago

"Walter, this isn't a guy who built the railroads here. This is a guy...."

TheStonesSuck 4 years, 8 months ago

"at 15 MPH, I roll out! double back, beat it out of em! Now hand me the uzi...yeah the uzi! you didn't think I was rollin outta here naked, did ya?"

Liberty275 4 years, 8 months ago

You'd think "American" would suffice.

Anyway, you don't need to know my heritage, but you can call me anything you want.

Shardwurm 4 years, 8 months ago

We can fix this problem by raising tuition for all white males. Double it and there won't be any middle-class white males to compete with.

Problem solved.

TheStonesSuck 4 years, 8 months ago

PPSPSSCCHHHH!!! ATTENTION CITIZENS!!!!!

Mr. Kim has been reassigned. There is nothing to see here. As you all know, everyone in America is given an equal chance to succeed. There is no bias in our society; if one existed, your government would have already alerted you to it. Go back to your beers, America.

Icy_Flame48 4 years, 8 months ago

Using race as a argument for lack of equality has gotten a little old. Seriously when are people going to stop writing this stuff. I mean we can find interesting statistics anywhere on any subject. I bet if you compared people who wore a certain color shirt or certain color of shoe, compared to those who didn't you would find someone to be favored.

libra101 4 years, 8 months ago

Racism is dead. How do I know? I asked some white guy in Alabama.

yourworstnightmare 4 years, 8 months ago

What wasn't reported is that asian men still earn much more than the uneducated, white trash teabaggers who post their drivel on this site.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 8 months ago

This comment pre-removed for using a vulgar sexual term to refer to someone not on the dexter side of the aisle. In other, older news: "yourworstnightmare (anonymous) says… I predict that the GOP will gain seats but will not retake either the house or the senate.... We shall see. October 29, 2010 at 3:36 p.m. "

yourworstnightmare 4 years, 8 months ago

Thanks snap.

It is indeed news and worth comment when I make an incorrect prediction.

Liberty275 4 years, 8 months ago

I'll own up to the white trash one. The education and teathingy, not so much.

I don't see a problem with being uneducated or a teathingy, but I just don't fit those description. Being white trash is cool though. You get to enjoy car racing.

So, mr YWN, go ahead and name me.

yourworstnightmare 4 years, 8 months ago

I prefer to let folks self-identify by their posts.

BigPrune 4 years, 8 months ago

I don't buy this study at all. Every Asian male I know has money - it's getting them to pay is the problem.

I guess this study opens up the market for someone else to get some grant money to do a study to counteract this study. Stimulus, creating more jobs.

BigPrune 4 years, 8 months ago

A Korean national male told me he was raised to distrust white males, that all Asians are raised to distrust white males, especially American white males. Since this study was done by an Asian, how can it be considered impartial?

voevoda 4 years, 8 months ago

Discrimination is real, folks. Stereotyping is real, folks. If you don't believe it, just reread the postings above, where TomShewmon, BigPrune, TheStonesSuck, and candyapplered draw conclusions about Asian-American men in general based on their own limited experience with a handful of them. The smart-aleck comments speak volumes about your biases, gentlemen. Is the study definitive? Of course not. But given the reactions of quite a few of the individuals who responded on this forum, I'm inclined to trust its conclusions.

Liberty275 4 years, 8 months ago

Add me. I think asians are culturally superior to Americans of any color. LOL, I'm bigoted against me.

voevoda 4 years, 8 months ago

Another smart-aleck comment? With a BS in Comm/PR, you'd ought to be able to defend your point of view more effectively.

yourworstnightmare 4 years, 8 months ago

Most asians in this country are well-educated and thus mainly upper middle class. They may not be paid as much for the same job, but most are well paid.

I bet the median (not mean) income for asian americans is greater than that of white americans, who are generally lazy, undereducated, have a sense of entitlement, and want everything handed to them without working.

yourworstnightmare 4 years, 8 months ago

Are you sure you are "degreed"? I clearly stated what group I was describing, yet you seem unsure from my post

You mentioned above that you are "degreed".

What degree do you have and where did you get it?

yourworstnightmare 4 years, 8 months ago

Ah, that explains it. Quality of the school only increases as more modifiers are added to the name.

I received a B.A. in Noodlin' at Southeast Missouri State University for Blind Invalids at Cape Girardeau-Poplar Bluff campus (e-course).

labmonkey 4 years, 8 months ago

So how is your post not discriminatory?

Sean Livingstone 4 years, 8 months ago

Sean Livingstone 4 years, 8 months ago

I'm sure anything that doesn't look like you is a left wing looney, huh? I'm sure people will accuse me of being a bigot for being Libertarian huh? What color is your glasses?

Liberty275 4 years, 8 months ago

I'm pretty hard libertarian, and further left on some issues than almost all the liberals in Lawrence, but Shewman has never said a cross word to me.

Liberty275 4 years, 8 months ago

I don't know if Shewman is of the Jewish faith, and I'm not going to check.

Sean Livingstone 4 years, 8 months ago

I was just saying that the behavior of the asian he has contact with behaves pretty much like a "jew", this perception of Asian men comes from the same root as the perception of a Jew. Sure, anti-Semitism, ok.... anyone can accuse Shewman of Sino-phobia? So what if he's of the Jewish faith. It's only the Nazi that kills Jews, and I'm not a Nazi, nor am I a German or Adolf Hitler. Jews faced severe discrimination in the entire Europe, but hey, how about Asians who lived through those bad days in Europe? Including Deng Xiao Peng who was supposed to be studying and yet reduced to picking up dung of horses in Paris? I need to be sensitive towards Jews.... sure. And how about being sensitive to an Asian? You sow what you plant.

Flap Doodle 4 years, 8 months ago

How was the researcher defining Asian-American? Traditional definitions of Asia include Russia. Where do the Russians fall in this study?

booyalab 4 years, 8 months ago

I was just thinking that. I have a feeling they're bringing down the average.

voevoda 4 years, 8 months ago

No, snap_pop_no_crackle, "traditional" definitions of Asia do not include Russia. Russian civilization is rooted in its European section. That's why at KU Russian area studies courses, except those that focus on Siberia and Central Asia, fall into the "Western" category. Russian civilization is Christian at base, making it similar to other European civilizations and not Asian ones. It shared in the European Enlightenment, and in 19th century romantic nationalism, and in European socialism. Its language is Indo-European, like most European languages. The majority of its people are "Caucasian" (as in "white," not as in "from the Caucasus"). Like the US, it is multi-ethnic and multi-religious. Basic information, available anywhere. I don't know if anyone has studied the employment of Russians who have settled in this country, but I don't think that they are "bringing down the average," booyalab. Even though you probably just think you were being clever, booyalab, you voiced a nasty stereotype. It's offensive, and it doesn't reflect well on you.

independant1 4 years, 8 months ago

nanimwe 4 years, 8 months ago

Do the authors of studies like this actually think that white males are sitting around discussing paying someone less simply because they are a minority?

Sean Livingstone 4 years, 8 months ago

In reality, they do.... they don't sit around..... but there's a huge difference when they discuss about pay for women and minorities, and they all understand that immediately. It's not just white males, everyone is involved in the process... regardless of their races.

yankeevet 4 years, 8 months ago

I got my education in Asia; a place called the Ashau Valley....69-70

slaboribs 4 years, 8 months ago

I wonder what the salary gap in China and other Asian countries is for the American-Asians as compared to the native Asians?