Archive for Sunday, December 5, 2010

Shooting at apartment complex sends Lawrence man to Topeka hospital with life-threatening injuries

A shooting at South Pointe Apartments, 2310 W. 26th St., sent one person to the hospital with life-threatening injuries in the early morning hours of Sunday, Dec. 5, 2010.

December 5, 2010, 9:00 a.m. Updated December 5, 2010, 12:56 p.m.

Police are investigating a shooting that injured a 23-year-old Lawrence man early Sunday at South Pointe Apartments, 2310 W. 26th St.

Police said in a news release that the victim was taken by private vehicle about 2:30 a.m. to Lawrence Memorial Hospital. The man, who was shot in the midsection during an altercation and had life-threatening injuries, was transferred by air ambulance from LMH to a Topeka hospital.

Lynzee Ford, resident at South Pointe Apartments, was awake when the shooting took place. Ford she heard the noise, but did not think it was a gunshot.

“I thought it might have been one for a second, but then I was like, ‘No, that probably wasn’t a gunshot,’” Ford said.

Ford said she is not surprised by the shooting and said she sees police in the area a lot.

Jesse Rembly, another resident, said he saw the police cars but did not hear the shot.

“I saw the police cars in the area between 2 and 4 a.m.,” Rembly said. “I saw them shining their spotlight, but I didn’t know what happened.”

Police said they had no suspect description. The investigation is ongoing.

Anyone who has information about the shooting is asked to call police, 785-832-7650, or Douglas County Crime Stoppers, 785-843-8477. Calls to Crime Stoppers, which does not subscribe to caller ID, remain anonymous.

Tips to the Crime Stoppers hotline can lead to a reward of up to $1,000.

Check back to LJWorld.com for more information as it becomes available.

Comments

bearded_gnome 4 years ago

well ... it's the weekend: bullets and knife blades are flying, ... again!

suppose the bullet was from Topeka?

iBANG 4 years ago

...... everything that is violent around here doesn't have "made in topeka" on the bottom of its foot..... people of lawrence need to quit acting like this place can not be violent..... thankfully its not as frequent as our two neighboring cities.... and yes i mean baldwin and oskie... hahaha.. no but really though.... stuff happens.... there's sooo much damm police here.... the culprit will be caught in days..... because people around here do not know how to keep their mouths shut.... I.E. see keepingitreal's comments..... there's probably like 20 people in this whole town who have the nuts to shoot another person.... and since we all know eachother around here... dont' invite them succas to your function.... plain and simple....

but anyways... watch the dress code rules be inforced more and sharper stares from the residents here this upcoming week......

be glad most of you aren't blacc Lawernce, Ks.....

Steve Jacob 4 years ago

A shooting near Redbud Lane and a stabbing downtown, about a normal weekend. It's a different town between 1-3AM.

ifuonlyknew 4 years ago

my thoughts and prayers are with this man and his family! everyone is praying for you bro! you will make it through this my dude!

Lana Christie-Hayes 4 years ago

absolutely... prayers for the young man and his family... who I know!!! No matter the circumstances, this is a tragedy that should not be talked about in derogatory terms... Just think if it was your child...

ToriFreak13 4 years ago

Good to know you can't count on LMH for late night trauma cases...might as well start wearing bullet proof vests.

kernal 4 years ago

You've been a user here long enough to know why LMH isn't a trauma care center.

geekin_topekan 4 years ago

Lynzee??

If Jesse changed his spelling to some stupid phonetic anomaly it would look like: Dgyeciegh

YesitsLynzee 4 years ago

That IS how I actually spell my name.

keepingitreal 4 years ago

I usually don't post comments but I feel the need today! This was a after party that was announced at a well known bar during closing. They were "celebrating" someone's birthday! There were at least 150 people in this bar. I knew this was a disaster in the making! I went home, logged into ljworld & waited for Breaking News! It only took 30 minutes! The person that hosted this party lost her home a few months ago to a house fire on 13th st. She has 4 kids that obviously don't come first! She needs to be charged with endangering the welfare of her kids & neighbors. I hope Child Protective Svcs step in! You don't invite 150 people to an apartment complex to party & u definitely don't jeopardize your kids home! .

ajs10 4 years ago

Next time you want to call someone out, proofread. "You need to charged?"

You're welcome.

Lana Christie-Hayes 4 years ago

Chelsea Kapfer 4 years ago

Why do you care if someone uses exclimation marks? Who cares?

Sheryl Wiggins 4 years ago

hmmm perhaps if you "knew this was a disaster in the making" you might have maybe called the police rather than log onto ljw, maybe someone being in the hospital with life-threatening injuries could have been prevented. Now it just seems as if you, well I'm not really sure what your point on posting is? Just sayin'

kernal 4 years ago

Finnbar, the police couldn't have stopped her from having the party once she announced it in a packed bar. I doubt they had the manpower to "lie in wait" to see if anything happened at the party. They might have done a drive-by during the night, if they had time or were in the area, but I think you put too much burden of complicity on the poster.

From the article, it appears the shooting happened rather quickly after the bars closed and the party would have gotten started. The victim was delvered to LMH by a private citizen at 2:30am.

Sheryl Wiggins 4 years ago

kernal--I wasn't thinking other than why the commenter jumped on ljw rather than doing something but you're right, not much the police could have done. My apologies for spouting off and really doing the same thing that I called the original poster out on. Shutting up now.

pace 4 years ago

i believe the police have the manpower to shut a party down.They have done it plenty of times, If it was too loud or out of hand. One hundred and fifty at an apartment isn't the typical party, there are legal limits of occupancy even in apartments. If I were the poster I would question why I hung out in bars like that and I probably would of called. The police don't usually mind being told that a situation looks troublesome. They may not need to do something but it doesn't hurt to communicate with them if you have a real concern. It might help them.

kernal 4 years ago

Would that be the house fire on Delaware & 13th St on August 31, 2010?

htewhtthisplceisbcming 4 years ago

I so agree with you on that one. I am so pissed that so many people know who did this and won't say a word. I myself was not at this one, but have been at them before. To all you that where there you should be ashamed of yourself for not coming forward to get this resolved. What if had been one of your family members. This young man has family and children. I can only hope the person responsible for this is caught and punished accordingly.

grammaddy 4 years ago

I dare you to say that to her face. She's all over facebook trying to figure out who you are.I feel for you when she does. Evidently your "facts" aren't as straight as you'd like us to believe.Why would you put her on blast like that without knowing what the "real deal" is? Or are you the shooter, trying to deflect attention from yourself?

kgirl 4 years ago

loleazy20 4 years ago

greenworld 4 years ago

Looks like the crime areas havent changed to much. Redbud Lane and west of Dairy Queen is starting to become thugville. This is nothing new as I grew up in lawrence and around the west side of Holcolm Park prairie meadows area. The apartments used to be called Park 25 behind the old Gibsons/Food4less and they slightly fixed them up 30 yrs ago and painted them to make them look like new which definately doesnt change the rent or thugs that live there.

cozborn 4 years ago

Actually I live at park 25 which is very much still around, its a very nice place to live, they are in the process of giving everyone new balconies, windows and doors. This happened two complex's over. The two years I have lived in my apartment I have yet to see a thug.

Lana Christie-Hayes 4 years ago

And I live in South Pointe.. which are totally different apartments from Park 25.. they just happen to be next to each other. These apartments are pretty nice too, and there isn't the "thug" traffic that greenworld seems to think they are! It is really peaceful here, and I have had no trouble at all with neighbors and the people who live here. There are bound to be some problems ANYWHERE you may live.. even in the nicest suburbs. Heck, There was a murder/suicide next to my mother's house some years ago and she lived in one one of the nicest neighborhoods in Lawrence... so judge all you want... but your prejudice is revolting to me!!!

Reuben Turner 4 years ago

well, one of the thugs, is finding out what comes w/ that title. what is a shame is that these folks have not learned from history that this kind of lifestyle causes life to end quick. being alive doesn't mean a lot when you can't do for yourself. and it is a shame that no one will come forth and tell who and why, we already now the what. lawrence ain't no dangerous place, but just a few people can put it on the map as one.

Nikki Kessler Pickens 4 years ago

As a person who was sitting in the hospital witnessing all of the drama and activity of the night - LMH is not a trauma center - but they sure had their stuff together in the midst of all this. I would not be so quick to condemn, at least they do what they can for the patient and then send them to the best place for them. Why would you want a trauma treated at a hospital that is not equipped to deal with it?

bearded_gnome 4 years ago

iBANG (anonymous) replies …

be glad most of you aren't blacc Lawernce, Ks.....

December 5, 2010 at 3:32 p.m.

---Headbang, "...... everything that is violent around here doesn't have "made in topeka" on the bottom of its foot..... people of lawrence need to quit acting like this ... " ---Headbang, you are obviously only semiliterate. do you even know what "sarcasm" means?
in fact, do you understand the term "sense of humor?"

... thought not.

"dont' invite them succas to your function.... plain and simple....

be glad most of you aren't blacc Lawernce, Ks....."

---first, WTH does this even mean??? what dress code being "inforced?"
"blacc lawernce ... " ??? ---is little thuggie here trying to excuse the violence because of the race of the perp, or of the victim? hmmm.

"the residents"

... I'm so glad he stoppped bye!

bearded_gnome 4 years ago

Pywacket (anonymous) replies …

You need to [be] charged with wanton and gratuitous use of exclamation points.

---LOL! that is, before and after the []s.

ifuonlyknew 4 years ago

ljw is there an update to this story yet??

Jonathan Kealing 4 years ago

Not yet, but we expect to have one today. Keep checking back. It'll be on the front page.

Terry Jacobsen 4 years ago

I hope that this young man can heal from his injuries and that all involved will find this a milestone to turn their lives around for the better. My prayers go out to all who are involved here.

Tootieonskates35 4 years ago

keepingitreal (NOT) ! You obviously do not know this woman you speak so poorly of. I happen to know that she takes excellent care of her children and they were in great care when this incident occured. You need to get your facts straight before you report to LJWorld. If you have a personal conflict with her than you should resolve that in a private orderly manner. As grammaddy advised she would like to have some words with you. The private celebration that occurred at her residence was not an after party it is unfortunate that her home was used for violence. My prayers are with the family of the victim and also with the family and friends of those who were directly affected by this tragedy.