Archive for Friday, December 3, 2010

Lawrence man arrested for aggravated battery, child abuse

December 3, 2010, 2:02 a.m. Updated December 4, 2010, 12:29 a.m.

Police have arrested a 32-year-old Lawrence man accused of abusing his 5-month-old daughter after she was admitted to the hospital this week with bone fractures.

Sgt. Matt Sarna, a Lawrence police spokesman, said medical officials alerted police to the possible abuse when the child was brought to a doctor’s office on Wednesday.

“Any time that we are investigating a crime with a 5-month-old child involved, we’re of course going to give it our most attention,” Sarna said.

He said the child suffered multiple bone fractures and was eventually taken to Lawrence Memorial Hospital and later transferred to a Kansas City-area hospital that was not identified. Sarna said the child’s injuries were not believed to be life-threatening.

Officers began investigating, and they arrested the suspect after his interview late Thursday night. He was booked into Douglas County Jail on charges of aggravated battery and child abuse.

He likely won’t face formal charges until Monday, prosecutors said Friday.

Sarna said officers believe the abuse occurred at the family’s residence in south-central Lawrence. Officers were still investigating to try to determine a time frame for the alleged abuse, but they do not believe the suspect used a weapon, he said.

Douglas County District Attorney Charles Branson said the suspect would likely appear before a judge today to get his bond set. But a first appearance on the formal charges likely won’t happen until Monday afternoon.

The Journal-World generally does not name suspects unless they are officially charged.

Comments

KcSlumper 4 years, 7 months ago

That poor little baby! I just don't understand how anyone could hurt a little baby....thinking of a 5 month old(any baby/child) with multiple fractures makes sick!
A couple of big ole'boys should get to take the "father" out to a field and teach that POS a lesson!

KayKayRenee17 4 years, 7 months ago

mothers are not always responsible for thier children and in FACT: most mothers dont even have their children, and the mother could of been any where the mother of the 5-month old could of been dead or in the hospital but..... who called the police?? i know for sure that Lawrence didn't expecially if he was the one who abused the child only if the child was old enough too speak. we would know or unless he confesses which he should.. if that was me.. Id wanna spend the rest of my life in prision. not re-arranging or hurting little kids in a way thats F*^up ,, no child should have to go through"no living person should go through that"

Chelsea Kapfer 4 years, 7 months ago

what do you mean "most mothers don't even have their children"? SOME mother's don't have their children, but most?

me_mine43 4 years, 7 months ago

He is the one that took her to the hospital. He has cooperated fully, he has nothing to hide!!!

andrew55 4 years, 7 months ago

Child abusers don't fare well in prison.

grammaddy 4 years, 7 months ago

Where was this child's mother? Just asking.

Sherry Warren 4 years, 7 months ago

no, you're not just asking. You're hinting at implying that mother's are always responsible for their children, more so than their fathers. Maybe she was at work. Maybe she at church. Maybe she was out having a cocktail with a friend. It doesn't matter, does it? She will somehow be held responsible for her rat-turd of a baby daddy's behavior by a large portion of society.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 4 years, 7 months ago

Maybe you men should give grammaddy a break. As a woman, she's probably triggered by her own mothering instinct when she read this story. Maybe she's not judging as much as she's sympathizing with the mother: i.e. - "I would feel bad if this had happened to my baby when I wasn't home"

Sharon Aikins 4 years, 7 months ago

Were you with your kids 24/7, grammaddy? I even left mine with their father at times. Then too, I knew he would never harm them and I hope this mother felt the same way. Can't imagine anyone doing that to their own child but then there's a lot that I can't imagine when it comes to human behavior.

Amy Heeter 4 years, 7 months ago

I think all mother's hope the father won't hurt their children but it does happen. What I'm always wondering in these cases is just whay on earth a child of that age could have done to set the guy off. The answer is nothing but you know the excuses always come. nHug your babies today.

ursulabirtha 4 years, 7 months ago

I have worked with far too many victims of domestic violence to believe that the mother did not know what this man was and is capable of. I think we all want to believe that every mother out there loves and will protect her baby with her own life, but sadly that is not the reality. It is very frustrating to care for an infant that is fussy and can cry up to 5 hours a day but it seems like more often than not it is the people that are the least able to properly care for the infant are the ones that have many children. When this infant is taken to Children's Mercy and has complete body scans done I bet there will be multiple old fractures and injuries.

jillian carrasco 4 years, 7 months ago

The scan was done and nothing came of it.it was all normal.

me_mine43 4 years, 7 months ago

not everything is as black and white as you see! All the tests came out just fine besides the broken arm. I am not trying to minimize her injuries but for everyone to assume this is an ongoing occurence is WRONG!!!

ursulabirtha 4 years, 7 months ago

Jeremy DeBoard 4 years, 7 months ago

On a good note, the baby is alive and will heal and never have to deal with this piece of gos se again.

kernal 4 years, 7 months ago

Mr. Dirtbag has two previous convictions for domestic battery and was out on probation, or parole, until last night. Anyone who beats a five month old baby and has repeated battery convictions (including against a police officer) is not fit to live in society. I recommend hang him by his toes and let him become carrion. If that's too much, then castration and a lobotomy.

Chelsea Kapfer 4 years, 7 months ago

If kernal's post is true, (i'm not doubting you), then the mother is absolutely guilty of neglect, at least. As a mother, my kid's caregivers have always had background checks and suprise drop-in's. You don't stop being a mom when you drop the child off.

pace 4 years, 7 months ago

I would be hard pressed to imagine any person who wasn't acting totally insane capable or likely to beat a 5 month old. I hold the person responsible, not put that on people you imagine who should of known this person would do this. I have dealt with child abusers, you can't tell by looking at the scum.One of the most vicious I met was well mannered, calm, polite, glib, and a dark animal. If you think someone is abusing a child, yes do something. If someone abuses a child, blame that person. That is what they do, they blame others.

jillian carrasco 4 years, 7 months ago

jillian carrasco 4 years, 7 months ago

You all should be ashamed of yourself you have no idea what really happen.Accidents to happen.And Mr Kernal.comparing his past 2 batteries had nothing to do with children.He is a loving father of 3 great kids.and last tme I checked it takes 2 parents to make great kids.

Bladerunner 4 years, 7 months ago

Accidents do happen but they don't result in arrest for Agg. Battery.

kernal 4 years, 7 months ago

Shades of Scooter! Too late in the day to get the cheesy puffs out, but KDOC's site is up 24/7. Wink, wink!

Chelsea Kapfer 4 years, 7 months ago

A loving father doesn't end up with Aggravated battery. 2 past charges for battery shows a pattern of behaviour that should not be ignored. Obviously this tiger didn't change his stripes.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 7 months ago

Kernal has a great idea there on what to do with him!

sounds like he is on here, or one of his cuzins!

chucklehead (anonymous) replies …

---however, Chuck, mom in question took up with Mr. Rat-turd esq., and continued relationship with him.

it always amazes me why so many women take up with and stay with dirtbag men. yes, I know some is the intimidation and some is low self-esteem. but FGS she had a child to worry about here!
so, yes, in part I am pointing at Mom here, Chuck.

frequently in cases of child abuse the mother knows or has serious reason to worry. or else, she's drugged/drunk/criminal herself.

me_mine43 4 years, 7 months ago

She was at work, she is a GREAT mother to her kids and stepmom to mine! there is no drugs alcohol nothing involved in this. He did not intentionally hurt the baby. So before you want to ASSUME the mother or father were on drugs or drinking or even a criminal maybe you should get the FACTS!!!

Sunny Parker 4 years, 7 months ago

Mommy didn't seem concerned when she gave the interview on the news: "he just picked the baby up, he's a strong guy".

She's an idiot....

me_mine43 4 years, 7 months ago

Everyone can say what they want about the situation but untill it is you and your family involved you do not know what actually happened! Everyone is so quick to judge let something happen in your family and see how well you like being judged. Only GOD can judge!! As for the news they did not put everything that was said in the interview in it. Yes this is the mother of his oldest children I spent alot of years with this man I am the 1 person in this world that knows him best. Yes things had happened to us in the past and we seperated for it SINCE THEN he has straightened out his life with the mother of this child. He has NEVER harmed a child nor would he ever purposely! As for the people who want to talk about the other mother she is a GREAT mom! I am very lucky to have such a great stepmom in my kids life. So everyone can believe what they want it, say what you will, it doesnt matter. Everyone will see in the end he would NEVER hurt a child on purpose then what will you have to say for yourselves? oh oops....I pray noone else ever has to go through this....whatever happened to innocent untill proven guilty???