Archive for Friday, April 23, 2010

Paramedics forced to abandon ambulance after man pulls a knife

April 23, 2010

Sixth and Louisiana streets

•Two Lawrence-Douglas County Fire Medical paramedics had to abandon their ambulance near downtown Friday afternoon when police say a man being transported to Lawrence Memorial Hospital pulled a knife on them.

Man pulls knife in ambulance

Two Lawrence Douglas County Fire & Medical paramedics had to abandon their ambulance near downtown Friday afternoon when police say a man being transported to Lawrence Memorial Hospital pulled a knife. Enlarge video

The man was being transported to LMH for undisclosed medical reasons when he became upset at the ambulance crew, Fire Medical Chief Mark Bradford said. The crew jumped out of the ambulance after pulling north onto Louisiana Street from Sixth Street.

According to Lawrence Police Sgt. Bill Cory, said the man was detained inside the ambulance and no one was injured in the ordeal. He was later transported to LMH.

• A man was involved in an injury accident Friday afternoon on Kansas Highway 10. According to Douglas County Sheriff’s Sgt. Steve Lewis, the man was driving when he fell asleep at the wheel and drifted onto the shoulder. He woke up, overcorrected and crossed the westbound and eastbound lanes. The man was transported to a Kansas City-area hospital with nonlife-threatening injuries.

• Lawrence police are still working to determine what happened to a 23-year-old man, believed to have been injured in a possible hit-and-run accident early Sunday morning.

Aaron Natalie was discharged from Stormont-Vail Regional Health Center in Topeka on Monday.

An officer found Natalie injured near Sixth and Kentucky around 3 a.m. Sunday.

Natalie was flown by air ambulance to the hospital, where a doctor said that it appeared Natalie had been struck by a vehicle.

Comments

somedude20 4 years, 11 months ago

Happy the crew is safe but I would get out and walk too!! Three years ago I had to ride an ambulance for about five miles and the bill was close to $600. Even cabs in NYC don't charge that much

whats_going_on 4 years, 11 months ago

same here...I had a wreck on K10 and flipped my car...walked out just fine but the ambulance insisted I ride with them. It was around that much at least, not even counting the useless ER visit. Ridiculous.

ssakcaj 4 years, 11 months ago

All you have to do is refuse treatement. They can't make you ride. So that's a lick on you.

finance 4 years, 11 months ago

Well, stupid you! You should have just called a taxi. Would have been fine with me--your problem, but just FYI, most cabbies don't look like they would have been much help to you in your hour of crisis...although, as I gather, your crisis centered more on your wallet than on your medical condition. Chuckle....despair at humanity.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 11 months ago

somedude, most taxis don't come equipped with O2, heart equipment, IV's, or a driver who could use them.

I'm delighted the paramedics are okay!
where's bladerunner when we need him to comment on this, I mean this was the cruelest cut, but maybe knifeboy thought he was being edgey.
I bet knifeboy was in an altered state of consciousness anyway.

how much ya' wanna bet the cost of the ambulance run is being paid by the taxpayers too.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 11 months ago

Time to put in ejection gurneys!

LOL!

of course you'd be violating the dude's civil rights, an hurting his self-esteem thar buddy.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 11 months ago

Time to put in ejection gurneys!

LOL!

LA_Ex 4 years, 11 months ago

somedude....if you only got charged $600 it sounds like all you needed was a taxi. Did you expect the ride to be free?

LA_Ex 4 years, 11 months ago

thefisherman 4 years, 11 months ago

I had to take an ambulance ride after a car accident in October. I rode from in front of Dillons at 6th and Lawrence to LMH. Maybe a mile or two? Bill was $650. Fortunately for my bank account, the other driver was at fault and his insurance picked up the tab.

I will say that IMO once you pull a weapon on the crew trying to transport you to medical care, you should forfeit your right to the ride. Sorry buddy.

LA_Ex 4 years, 11 months ago

BS. You have the right to refuse any medical treatment.

ssakcaj 4 years, 11 months ago

Agreed. I have when people cry and say poor me. You should have listened to Nancy Reagan and just said, "No."

matthewjherbert 4 years, 11 months ago

call me. I'll drive you to the hospital for $300. I know CPR and can say comforting things.

Christine Anderson 4 years, 11 months ago

I know this is really sick of me, but I can't stop laughing. I'm only laughing because no one was hurt. I can just visualize the two guys jumping out and the nut job inside thinking, "Hey, where did my ride go?" I say, get out the four-point leathers, a harpoon, and load it with Ativan!