Archive for Saturday, October 31, 2009

Three injured in two-vehicle accident early Saturday

One transported via air ambulance; Two taken to LMH by ground

At least one person was transported to an area hospital by air ambulance after a two-vehicle accident around 2 a.m. Saturday at the intersection of Eighth and Tennessee.

October 31, 2009, 3:41 a.m. Updated October 31, 2009, 4:54 p.m.

Three people were injured in a two-vehicle accident early Saturday morning at the intersection of Eighth and Tennessee streets.

One driver, 20-year-old Olathe man Jordan Erisman, was transported by air ambulance to Kansas University Hospital Saturday morning. He is in stable condition, a hospital spokeswoman said.

The other driver, 20-year-old Lenexa woman Elizabeth Cunningham, was taken to Lawrence Memorial Hospital and then transferred to a Kansas City-area hospital.

Peter Martin, a 21-year-old Leawood man who was a passenger in Erisman’s vehicle, was transported to LMH.

Around 2 a.m. Saturday, Cunningham was heading south on Tennessee Street in a Toyota Camry when her vehicle was struck by a Kia. The Kia, driven by Erisman, was traveling westbound on Eighth Street, according to Lawrence Police Sgt. Michael McLaren.

When police arrived on scene at 2:18 a.m., they found the Kia on its side near Tennessee and the Camry upright on Eighth.

Erisman had to be extricated from the car by Lawrence-Douglas County Fire Medical staff. Erisman was then transported to a parking lot east of KU’s Memorial Stadium, where he was placed on an air ambulance and flown to KU Hospital. According to Douglas County emergency dispatch scanner traffic, the helicopter left Lawrence about 3 a.m.

Alcohol was a contributing factor for both drivers, according to the police.

Comments

fatheadff 5 years, 1 month ago

Bring on the Life Flight comments... Hope all involved are ok no matter how they arrived at the hospital. Job well done Lawrence Fire and Life Flight

jafs 5 years, 1 month ago

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 1 month ago

jafs total strangers are going to make the decisions they want regardless of what you think. Sad reality. If there is alcohol or a traffic violation involved then surely the guilty would be prosecute accordingly. It is rare that I see a police car and I know there must be one somewhere. I agree that this sort of behavior should be stopped but I just don't think it is doable.

parrothead8 5 years, 1 month ago

jafs (Anonymous) says… I wonder how much money is spent on transporting victims of easily preventable accidents, like those involving drinking and driving. If we're all paying for that with our taxes, why am I paying for others' poor decisions?

I've seen prices ranging from $5-10k for a Life Flight transport, depending of course on the distance involved.

And no, you don't pay for it with your taxes. The victim (or their insurance company) gets a bill. So...your question is moot.

Eride 5 years, 1 month ago

"JackRipper (Anonymous) says…

What if they don't have insurance or money? Aye?"

They still get the service and everyone who has insurance and money has to pay more to balance it out. Rinse and repeat.

puddleglum 5 years, 1 month ago

who needs insurance?

its time for some change. if bars are to be allowed to sling out as much alcohol as the can sell, they should be held accountable for letting people drive home, and anyone they hurt. From now on, a local government-hired person will be at the exit door of all bars, and they will call a cab for all drunkards. wanna walk home? sorry, you get a cab. If you walk home drunk, you will end up run over. If you drive, you will run over people, bikes, other cars or small elephants. get to it. just like the cigarette industry saying: "i'm not forcing you to smoke my product.-therefore, i'm not liable for anybody that uses my product. That's like drano saying, I didn't make anybody buy my product-and certainly didn't force anyone to drink it-therefore, whatever comes out of your body isn't my fault.
somebody needs to regulate these bar-owners.

dontcallmedan 5 years, 1 month ago

There is very little compliance with the stop signs at 7th and Tennessee and 8th and Tennessee. I've observed them for 25 years, and maybe 2 of 10 come to a complete stop. We need greater enforcement.

parrothead8 5 years, 1 month ago

puddleglum (Anonymous) says… if bars are to be allowed to sling out as much alcohol as the can sell, they should be held accountable for letting people drive home, and anyone they hurt.

Does that mean grocery stores, food conglomerates, and fast food chains should be subsidizing most of our medical bills, since the (over)consumption of their products is at the root of most of our medical problems?

jfcm77 5 years, 1 month ago

Hey LarryNative, 20-year-olds at 2:00 in the morning on a weekend?

puddleglum 5 years, 1 month ago

oh, my bad. yeah, actually these 20-year olds were all driving home from their late night chess match after drinking milk and cookies.

c'mon LarryNaive

ha! yo parrothead, I have yet to see an example of someone overdosing on cheetos while driving home from the grocery store.

but it does sound like a party

parrothead8 5 years, 1 month ago

puddleglum (Anonymous) says… yo parrothead, I have yet to see an example of someone overdosing on cheetos while driving home from the grocery store.

Seriously? Look around you, man. We've got diabetes, heart disease, and cancer going on at epidemic levels. You don't think any of that has to do with what we're eating?

RKLOG 5 years, 1 month ago

20 is such a fun age. If they are lucky some will make it to 21.

jafs 5 years, 1 month ago

Larry,

Read the last sentence of the article.

Jeannie7 5 years, 1 month ago

It amazes me how people have opinions and do not know the enitire situation. The girl was coming home from work. and was hit by the other car who ran a stop sign and they were drinking. I hope all of the children are fine. This was a horrible accident and all were lucky to survive.