Archive for Friday, October 30, 2009

Nearly full moon, extra hour of partying, Halloween combine for possibly busy night for Lawrence police

While this Halloween may be no different for young trick-or-treaters, all odds point to a particularly nutty night for the grownups.

October 30, 2009

With the spooky holiday falling on a Saturday this year, it gives adult ghouls and goblins even more time to do the monster mash and party the night away.

“It’s going to get pretty crazy, I would probably bet $100 on that,” said Tanisha Birch, of Lawrence, who was putting together her boxer costume on Friday. “The police department has their work cut out for them.”

Some reminders for families on Halloween, from Lawrence police.

• Wear reflective costumes or put reflective tape on costumes for better visibility.

• Stay in familiar neighborhoods.

• Adults should accompany small trick-or-treaters.

• Inspect all candy that kids bring home, for safety.

• Watch for traffic in the street.

Lawrence police are quite aware what the haunted evening brings them: “A lot of extra people that might not ordinarily be out on a Saturday night,” said Sgt. Michael Monroe, police spokesman.

He said the number of celebrants will likely only be magnified by the good weather that’s expected today.

“You have to be extra careful this year,” he said.

Plus on this Halloween, revelers will have an extra hour to knock back the witches brew at local bars, thanks to Daylight Saving time coming to an end early Sunday morning. Most drinking establishments will keep their doors open an hour longer, as the clock officially moves back an hour at 2 a.m. Sunday, well into the witching hour.

“We only get this one night a year,” Josh Mochel, owner of Jo Shmo’s bar and restaurant, 724 Mass., said of the time change. “It’s unbelievable how many people are excited about Halloween. … We’re excited to see what the night brings us.”

Sgt. Monroe urged adults and kids to be vigilant of the increase in pedestrians on the streets, and reminded adults they should not drive if they’ve over-indulged in alcohol.

The police department has no plans to have more officers on the street than any other Saturday night, Monroe said, but he said officers were expecting the usual increase of suspicious activity complaints to come rolling in. With so many people dressing up in costume, he said it’s expected.

Time will soon tell just how crazy Halloween night will be. It’s also a nearly full moon, so for the particularly suspicious, tonight could be as crazy as can be.

Comments

Marion Lynn 4 years, 5 months ago

I dunno much about any of this but there sure is a nice moon out there now.

Awakened by a phone call concerning a seriously ill relative, I have been enjoying a cuppa and a smoke outside in the moonlight.

I can see the deer bedded down in the field near the feeders, the deer appearing as darker spots on the background.

Funny thing...the dogs know they are there and are more or less ignoring them......................

Very unusual.

Mike Blur 4 years, 5 months ago

suesay (Anonymous) says…

My sophomore year of college, my roomate 'tried to kill herself' in our room on Halloween night and there was a full moon that night… Would have been in 2000. No point, just a story.

Mike says: According to the skygazing software Homeplanet, on Oct 31, 2000, the moon was a new waxing crescent, only 15 percent illuminated. The full moon occurred on Nov. 11, 2000.

ChristmasCaroll 4 years, 5 months ago

What? Did they pass out candy or tickets?

Christine Pennewell Davis 4 years, 5 months ago

well was out walking with my 9yr. old only heard sirens 1 time but the night is early and big kids not in the party mode yet.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 5 months ago

I was thinking the other day, Interstate Bakeries should get in the Halloween market and put out those mini donuts in single wrap, bulk packs. Stacked in rows like cookies, yet indy wrapped.

Or loose packed indys, what ever works. I bet the kids would grab those up fast, and when they wanted their treats for breakfast, mom could at least have the option of saying, eat the Hostess doughnuts.

Christine Anderson 4 years, 5 months ago

Multi, your observations about patients in therapy in relation to the full moon are interesting. I'm inclined to believe them, as I've seen patients in acute care go "nuts" then as well. Want some smashing good fun? Work a shift on a psych ward on a full moon, or on a Halloween that does not even have a full moon. Gives a completely new meaning to the term "cuckoo's nest". LOL.

mickeyrat 4 years, 5 months ago

What are kids doing in elementary schools during the full moon?

drawkcab 4 years, 5 months ago

If you don't believe that the moon cycle has an effect on people visit an elementary school during a full moon. That and the wind can really make a difference in the way people behave.

Pywacket 4 years, 5 months ago

lawrenceguy40 sez: "The scariest people out on Halloween will be LPD. I am scared of their behavior more than any ghoul or ghost."

Then stop driving drunk and having to worry about "their behavior" should they apprehend you. Problem solved.

You're welcome.

Amy Heeter 4 years, 5 months ago

Tsk Tsk Kat. There is more to the wheel of the year than celebrating the 8 sabbats. I especially enjoy the harping of those who snipe everyone every day on this forum and then preach "harm none" whenever these topics come along.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 5 months ago

I want to be young again and spend a few el dia de muerta in Mexico. They've got it going down there from what I see on tv.

I miss watching the old Brazilian Coffin Joe horror films. I loves me some late night twisted mind cult films.

/of course, Slingblade DVD is on at the moment, lol. It's no wonder my mother....(you fill in the blank, feel free, it's Saturday.) She usually had something 'wonderful' to say about me on Saturdays as a kid. And then she and dad went out, and my older sister and I watched scary movies later, lol. Wasn't Saturday the day your mom had time to rag on you about 'you'?

Cleaning day, and "rag on you at bit while you were home working & available day"! lol.

Are your kids at home right now, just waiting to get out the door and away tonight from your nagging and criticism? Are they putting on their costumes at someone else's house? You remember, don't you, hehehe. :)

KansasPerson 4 years, 5 months ago

artichokeheart (Anonymous) says… "Some might want to compare and contrast halloween and it's origins to the day of the dead, early harvest traditions and the influences of the moon."

Thanks Mr. Condescension, but "some" have already done that, thank you. Did you even READ my post?

Katara 4 years, 5 months ago

artichokeheart (Anonymous) says… Some might want to compare and contrast halloween and it's origins to the day of the dead, early harvest traditions and the influences of the moon. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Sigh.

Pretty much every culture that exists has their own "Day of the Dead". It is not exclusive to Halloween or European tradition.

Katara 4 years, 5 months ago

Boston_Corbett (Anonymous) says… So is “el dia de muerta” today or November 1? It's origins, please, experts. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ It is on November 1st or November 2nd, depending on the country you are in (some celebrate both). November 1st is All Saints Day & November 2nd is All Souls Day.

BlackVelvet 4 years, 5 months ago

One little question: why does a full moon have more gravitational pull than a half moon (waxing or waning)? Does it have something to do with the mass of light? Seriously, at this moment, the cellphone sitting on my desk has more gravitational effect on me than the moon.

Good point. I guess some people do stupid stuff all the time, not just at a full moon!

Boston_Corbett 4 years, 5 months ago

So is "el dia de muerta" today or November 1? It's origins, please, experts.

Amy Heeter 4 years, 5 months ago

KansasPerson 4 years, 5 months ago

Artichokeheart, much as I love the food that you're named after, I gotta call you on this one too. All Saint's Day is November 1. The "een" part of Halloween means it's the eve of that day. That's why it's also called All Hallow's Eve.

I know about all the different beliefs and practices converging to make this thing we call Halloween, pagan and Christian and commercial included!

Boosh 4 years, 5 months ago

Nobody likes a nearly full moon, nobody, first you....

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 5 months ago

alrity now I'z iz jus reel darn confuzed, witch ones ofs youz iz whiches n witch ones ofs youz isntz? I aint fixin ter brun anyun I jes hapin to lik my brum n wantz ter kep et saf ifn yall drop by sum tim.

Katara 4 years, 5 months ago

artichokeheart (Anonymous) says… You need to read more Kat. You are paying way too much attention to your calendar that follows christian influence than to historical foundation. ~~~~~~~~~~~~ The name is Katara and All Saints Day is still on November 1st. It is not Halloween. It is a separate day. It may have been in response to Samhain but it is a separate day of celebration & is not the same as Halloween.

Kathy Getto 4 years, 5 months ago

Actually a blending of beliefs started long before the Catholics got involved - by the ancient Romans (after conquering most of the Celts) when a couple of their festivals were combined with Samhain. All Saints Day was originally sometime in May, then was moved to Nov. 1, thus All Hallows Eve on the 31st of October. Much later, Martin Luther designated Nov. 1 as All Saints Day, also called Reformation Day. Costumes were worn by the Celts, as a way to go unnoticed among the dead and treats were offered to appease the souls of the dead.

BTW seances have nothing to do with Wicca - if one wishes to pretend to be a witch, they should know that Wicca emphasizes environmental relevance and responsibility, and would be better served by reflecting on those things changed in the last year, what have you put aside that you no longer need, what things have been nurtured and grown? Wicca is not a fantasy world where all your problems can be solved, it is not a 12 step program. It is about helping, not harming.

An it harm none, do what ye will Blessed Sabbat

Amy Heeter 4 years, 5 months ago

Katara 4 years, 5 months ago

artichokeheart (Anonymous) says…

The Catholic church created this problem when they devised All Saints Day to counter Wiccan/ Pagan traditions. All Saints day was later renamed All Hollows eve and eventually Halloween. Samhain is a sabbat to honor those who have passed through this world before us. Samhain is a time when in our physical world things begin to die and it becomes dark but in the underword the light is just beginning. Going out dressed in costume and drinking to stupidity is not the way to celebrate. If you want to be true it would be best to have a feast. If you are a true believe this is the time to hold a seance as the barrier between this world and the next can be crossed easier at this time. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ All Saints Day is November 1st.

eel 4 years, 5 months ago

Large parties last night south of KU Someone took the pumpkins off my porch and dashed them on the sidewalk, grrrr So I looked around for other damage around my house... Seems someone took a planter out of my yard and threw it into a Hyundai SantaFe, not mine, parked on the street so i called the cops this am. They took a report.

Amy Heeter 4 years, 5 months ago

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 4 years, 5 months ago

Those luney cops, in full costume and partying all hours in the moonlight....

mickeyrat 4 years, 5 months ago

Oh, my. My favorite: "theory" why the full moon "affects" folks.

"The human body is mainly water...The moon has enough effect on water on the earth to raise and lower tides by many feet... It could also have some effect on the equilibrium of people."

lawrenceguy40 4 years, 5 months ago

suesay 4 years, 5 months ago

My sophomore year of college, my roomate 'tried to kill herself' in our room on Halloween night and there was a full moon that night... Would have been in 2000. No point, just a story.

gsxr600 4 years, 5 months ago

..."no significant difference in the occurrence" ..."no link" ..."no such effect" ..."When ER doctors in Pittsburgh toted up admissions due to assault, gunshots and stabbings, they found no lunar-related statistical spike. Nor have scientists found a link between the full moon and violence at hockey games, prisons or middle schools (yes, studies have probed for all of these). A 1982 study did claim a link between traffic accidents and full-moon nights. But those nights happened to fall more on weekends, when traffic peaks."

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 5 months ago

Hey!

I just figured out how to really freak out parents on Halloween.

Hand out blank dvd's in blank cases with no markings what so ever. Or maybe just put a winking smiley on the front.

triplegoddess13 4 years, 5 months ago

The full moon is going to be the lesser of all the evils on Samhain. I feel sorry for anyone who has to deal with the intoxicated idiots that will be out for an extra hour.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 5 months ago

I found one reference from a book, but I'll have to take their word for it. 'full moons and holidays'.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 5 months ago

Actually py, lol.. :)

I had the opportunity to observe a group of patients recording their emotions, thoughts, etc week for a year, and observed by chance that each month, the week surrounding the full moon, the group ditched. The following week they would become their regular selves, be happier, relationships got better,work,family situations, yada yada. Then once again, a month later, the same.

I first noted it in my records without mentioning it to the other instructors. After several months, I did and we then went over notes for the entire group. Let's just say, eyebrows raised inquisitively. We continued without mentioning anything to the group, and after the year progressed, noted that the same thing continued.

Yes, little smirks were passes as we listened to tales of woe, the instructors would glance towards each other, then at the bright beam of moonlight coming in the window.

Pretty darn hard not to crack up with laughter when someone is saying how horrible their last couple of days have been and we're all suppose to be "being supportive, educational". (And we're starting to think, "Just wait, the moon will change and all will be good again, lol")

It is very hard to be scientific, and wonder if something like that really could just be because of the moon after all. I mean really, corn grows because of sunlight. Who would have believed THAT ??!?!

If I tried to tell someone 800 years ago, that something in particular from that light that came from the sun in the sky..had something to do with that plant growing up out of the ground, they might call me an idiot, right?

Well, that is how people used to think when people first talked about it. The earth being flat and all.

So maybe one day, they will be able to explain why the moon phases affect the number of suicides, crime, etc. I wonder if they've ever tracked the number of jumpers off The Golden Gate around the Full Moon? I think I'll go look or fun.

Pywacket 4 years, 5 months ago

I think the full moon has a placebo effect on people. (Especially gullible people.) Since they expect it to have some weird effect on them, they obediently, and often with the aid of some fermented beverages, act crazy and blame it on the moon.

Have a safe Halloween, everybody. Enlist the services of a designated driver--and watch out for those who don't.

Jim Phillips 4 years, 5 months ago

Correction gsxr600. There is no scientifically accepted strong correlation between a full moon and behavior. But science does not acknowledge a great number of things that people accept as truth.

headdoctor 4 years, 5 months ago

gsxr600 (Anonymous) says… There is no strong correlation between a full moon and behavior. It's not a statically significant argument. Affect =/= Effect, what grade of elementary school did you drop out of?

Who went to what school? Drop out? Indeed.

gsxr600 4 years, 5 months ago

Affect =/= Effect, what grade of elementary school did you drop out of?

BlackVelvet 4 years, 5 months ago

"You obviously have never worked in the emergency services field."

I second what Guardian said. And I have a theory why the full moon affects folks. The human body is mainly water, correct? The moon has enough effect on water on the earth to raise and lower tides by many feet. It could also have some effect on the equilibrium of people via their water content! just a thought.

thebcman 4 years, 5 months ago

I'll be Herb, but you have to be Peaches.

headdoctor 4 years, 5 months ago

ibrown3 (Anonymous) says… The “nearly full mooon” addition to this article is pure idiocy. If their aim was to be cheesy, they achieved it. Unless they watch Silver Bullet and are huge Gary Busey fans, any mention of a “nearly full moon” belongs no where near this article… unless their only aim was to be as cheesy as possible, or, perhaps, to target a grown up with a 5-year old's sense of reality. People getting super-drunk, wearing skanky costumes, driving after a few too many shots of Johnnie Walker—yes, that is probably relevant—this full moon bs is just cheesy fluff that you would only find in the award winning Journal-World. Just dumb… dumb.

And, your point being? I agree with Guardian. You obviously have never worked in the emergency services field. Nor have you apparently watched posting patterns by some of the(for lack of a less derogatory word)more colorful posters on here. You may not like it but the moon cycle effects people more than some want to admit. While some may think it is only the effect of Johnnie Walker or Grey Goose, but believe me a full moon can make a difference.

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 5 months ago

I do believe that the full moon does affect human behavior. I think this is partially do to the light that it brings to the night, and the sheer romance and beauty of it all. Humans will always be attuned to nature as we are part of the cycle.

Multidisciplinary 4 years, 5 months ago

I loves me some nearly full moon, extra hour of partying, Halloween, possibly busy night for Lawrence police CRAZY!

I'll come as Kiki, now where can I find someone to be Herb?

blue73harley 4 years, 5 months ago

I see we someone who ignores the existance of werewolves yet probably believes in Al Gore.

Jim Phillips 4 years, 5 months ago

You obviously have never worked in the emergency services field.

Ian Brown 4 years, 5 months ago

The "nearly full mooon" addition to this article is pure idiocy. If their aim was to be cheesy, they achieved it. Unless they watch Silver Bullet and are huge Gary Busey fans, any mention of a "nearly full moon" belongs no where near this article... unless their only aim was to be as cheesy as possible, or, perhaps, to target a grown up with a 5-year old's sense of reality. People getting super-drunk, wearing skanky costumes, driving after a few too many shots of Johnnie Walker--yes, that is probably relevant--this full moon bs is just cheesy fluff that you would only find in the award winning Journal-World. Just dumb... dumb.

donald_gilchrist 4 years, 5 months ago

Shaping up to be a real-life day of the dead!