Archive for Friday, October 30, 2009

Eight vehicles involved in accident near Lawrence Avenue

October 30, 2009

Three auto accidents occurred in a chain reaction about 7:20 p.m. Thursday on Sixth Street. Lawrence Police Sgt. Mark Warren said the three accidents were all caused by one driver.

A driver of one of the vehicles had changed lanes, making it necessary for cars following behind it to stop abruptly. Warren said some of the cars were able to while others were not. Eight vehicles were ultimately involved in the accident, which happened between Crestline Drive and Lawrence Avenue.

No one was injured in the accidents.

Comments

BigPrune 4 years, 8 months ago

I had the same thing happen to me at 6th & Folks Road. Almost slid right through the intersection.

Richard Heckler 4 years, 8 months ago

Bunch of folks following too close and in a hurry I see.

hail2oldku 4 years, 8 months ago

"musbhiorlo (Anonymous) says… i wonder how moving into the lane you wish to turn from and then turning, all the while with your blinker on can be considered to be the cause of the accident? was this person who slowed down to turn really responsible for the other drivers actions? wow, this one person can control 7 other cars from inside of his/her car, this is incredible. did they use mind control? or was it a matter of them taking control of the other cars with their mind forcing each car to run into the other car? that one person must have some very strong powers to be able to control not only the car that they're driving but to also control the 7 other cars who were in my opinion following too closely."

I don't read the article as someone slowing down to turn, I read it as someone switching from one lane to another and cutting a person off due to inattentiveness. While I agree, it appears that there were a number of vehicles following too closely, you can't give the driver of the first car a free pass if they cut someone off making them have to stop suddenly.

Pet peeve of my, especially at this intersection, the people that don't know what a turn lane is for and turn left from the left hand lane or right from the right lane instead of using the turn lanes provided.

mickeyrat 4 years, 8 months ago

Most people drive "on faith." This reminds me of the occasional huge California pile-ups, where people drive into fog at highway speeds. The (unfortunate) fact is, if you can't stop quick enough to avoid striking a vehicle ahead of you (no matter what kind of screwy move they make), you're either going too fast or following too close.

imastinker 4 years, 8 months ago

Consumer - the law says that you are required to follow at a safe distance. He may have caused one accident if he actually hit another driver, but all of the people that rear ended someone else were at fault for following too closely.

supertrampofkansas 4 years, 8 months ago

Hm that's strange. I thought for sure that the law says the last person to prevent the accident is the person at fault. So if you rear-end someone, you are automatically at fault no matter what the person did in front of you. I think it is incorrect to say that this one person caused all of these accidents especially if most of these are rear-end accidents.

somedude20 4 years, 8 months ago

When I was driving to Glory Days Pizza last night (got there around 6:16 pm and left around 7:30 pm) the roads (with the tar patches) were very very slippery and it did feel kind of like driving on ice. Yes wnschmi04 it is as I work off of Harvard and Iowa and that too is very slippery (and yes it is tar covered as well)

costello 4 years, 8 months ago

"musbhiorlo (Anonymous) says…

"i wonder how moving into the lane you wish to turn from and then turning, all the while with your blinker on can be considered to be the cause of the accident?"

Where did you get all these facts? I don't see any mention of a lane change in order to turn. Or the use of a blinker.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 8 months ago

Where did you get all these facts? I don't see any mention of a lane change in order to turn. Or the use of a blinker.

---ESP!

wonder how many of the 8 were texting/talking on cell phones/putting on makeup/eating while driving/yelling at kids in the back/meditating on roundabout theology.

following too close? probably. seems the trafic laws say something about adjusting your driving speed based on current conditions. drivers probably going too fast.

so, is Merrill going to open up a Lawnmowerman school of driving?

truck vs bike at 7th and elm north lawrence this morning. maybe cyclist pulled out in front of truck who had the right of way, driving on 7th without stop sign.

hope cyclist heals, maybe broken arm, maybe not that bad.

bigmike 4 years, 8 months ago

The streets and drivers in this town suck!! No point in complaining about it because it will never get any better!