Archive for Thursday, October 15, 2009

Legislative leader blasts representative behind Obama rap

Otto denies he was targeting Obama’s race

October 15, 2009

A southeast Kansas legislator on Thursday said he wasn’t making a racial reference as he sang an anti-President Obama “Redneck Rap” while wearing a hat that said: “OPOSSUM the other Dark Meat.”

State. Rep. Bill Otto, R-LeRoy, sang his song on a YouTube video.

At the end of his song, Otto points to his hand-lettered hat and says, “Opossum, the other dark meat. A little greasy, but hey ...”

Senate Democratic Leader Anthony Hensley of Topeka said Otto’s video was disturbing and represented a trend of bigoted behavior by Otto.

“If Opossum is the other dark meat, what is the original dark meat he is referring to?” Hensley asked.

Hensley added: “After a nearly three-minute rant about President Obama and his administration, it is only logical to presume that Otto was making reference to the President’s race. It is not only thoughtless, but outrageous for an elected official such as Bill Otto to make this reference to describe any person, let alone the President of the United States.

But Otto said the video had nothing to do with race.

“I don’t see how a reasonable thinking person could think that,” he said.

“Rednecks eat possum. The possums are associated with rednecks,” said Otto.

Hensley, however, said the video is one of several instances when Otto has crossed the line.

Hensley said that Otto made a remark to Patrick Woods, who is African-American and works for the Kansas Department of Social and Rehabilitation Services, about shooting Kansas Department of Health and Environment Secretary Roderick Bremby, who also is African-American.

Woods, however, said the incident occurred when he and Otto were walking in the tunnel between the Capitol and Docking Building.

Woods said Otto approached him. “He said he almost pulled out his gun and shot me because he mistook me for Bremby,” Woods said. Woods said he didn’t feel threatened but thought it was a “very inappropriate joke.”

Woods said he thought it peculiar that Otto would mistake him for Bremby. Woods is 29, Bremby in his 60s.

“It’s not lost on me that we’re both African-American and under 9 feet tall,” he said.

Comments

Practicality 5 years, 2 months ago

I don't imagine this will just go away.

yourworstnightmare 5 years, 2 months ago

OPOSSUM alliterates with OBAMA.

Maybe Otto is telling the truth that it is just a joke about rednecks eating possums.

If this is the case, he is an idiot for not realizing that this might be mistaken for a racial slur against the President of the United States.

With Otto we have a choice. He is either a vile, bigoted racist liar, or he is too stupid to realize the consequences of his actions, an idiot.

Either way, it is an embarrassment that he represents people of Kansas in the legislature.

yourworstnightmare 5 years, 2 months ago

Interesting.

I just went back to the older story about this to watch the Youtube video.

It has been removed by the user. Otto has removed his redneck (c)rap from Youtube.

Gosh, if it was just innocent fun, why did he remove it?

tomatogrower 5 years, 2 months ago

I've lived in Kansas all my life and I don't even know where Leroy is. For electing Otto, it must be a pimple on the face of our state, and Otto is the puss.

lctchr1 5 years, 2 months ago

This is just disgusting. Our tax dollars go to pay this guy's salary as a representative of this state. I give up. Google "Dan Carlin", peeps. Good perspective.

Danimal 5 years, 2 months ago

This is just awful. If there's going to be the political violence that Nancy Pelosi is getting all teary about, I'd like to suggest this guy to whomever is making a list. Seriously Kansas, keep it classy we have a shoddy enough reputation already.

booyalab 5 years, 2 months ago

I have to say I thought I'd heard about all the accusations of racism to this point, so my brain wasn't exactly in a vacuum when I read the offending lyric. Yet I honestly didn't see the racism undertone until later on in the article with the Hensley quote.

I think it just goes to show how subjective interpretation can be, and how pointless it is to throw a fit over some trivial words.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 2 months ago

sad, racers are diluting the actual impact and meaning of real racism by throwing it around, ginning it up when it doesn't exist, and supporting such claims with provably false quotes.

racism does exist, by whites, blacks, indians, etc. just look at Al Sharfton's history of race baiting, and promoting a complete false slander using race and claiming rape and bodily harm to a black girl simply to tarnish the reputations of officials.

"the other dark meat," sundry silly persons, the first dark meat means dark turkey, as in "give me some dark meat" often said at thanksgiving!. but then many of these nutbags are eating tofu for thanksgiving so wouldn't know what the 'first dark meat' is!

Katara 5 years, 2 months ago

bearded_gnome (Anonymous) says… and, now that we see how the far left will throw up completely bogus quotes, as in the case of Rush Limbaugh, you have to wonder about the ref to the SRS employee, whether that's true. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Wow. Really? You are going to go there? ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ bearded_gnome (Anonymous) says… “the other dark meat,” sundry silly persons, the first dark meat means dark turkey, as in “give me some dark meat” often said at thanksgiving!. but then many of these nutbags are eating tofu for thanksgiving so wouldn't know what the 'first dark meat' is! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I'd really like to see some backup on that explanation, beard_gnome.

Words cannot express how disappointed I am that you would defend this man's actions.

ENGWOOD 5 years, 2 months ago

And you loony left losers just giggled when the Bush bashing was going around, Grow up!!!!!!!!!!!!

redneck 5 years, 2 months ago

It only becomes an issue when a white person says this stuff. Doesn't seem to matter if a black, asian, indian, hispanic, or anybody except a white person jokes about another race. It was a joke, so get over it already. I could could give a rats behind if you want to make a joke about the other white meat. Call me cracker, whitie, honkie, inbred redneck, white trash, trailer trash, etc..... I'll probably laugh with you. I just watched a video with a black man stating the white race needs to be exterminated. Nobody cares, because he is not white. What goes around, comes around.

aletheia 5 years, 2 months ago

Redneck~ Otto isn't just a white person making a racist innuendo. He's a state representative and an ignorant one at that. To make such an offensive video is a testament to his character, disturbing lack of intellect and complete disregard of legislative decorum.

For anyone to deny the prejudice and violence that was (and still is) exacted on blacks, just for merely being black, is blinded by the color of their own skin. If you're white, it's impossible to truly understand the fear and humiliation that blacks have endured. You, Redneck, are not fearful of threats made against your race, because that's all they are. Words. They carry no weight, nor power, because they're not fueled by the hate and ignorance of white, redneck men.

livetocook 5 years, 2 months ago

bearded_gnome ,ladies and gentlemen, is an 'aspiring writer' using a thesaurus on word at a time. I like the part "claims with provably false quotes." Provably? Really? Proven. Proven.

Bob_Keeshan 5 years, 2 months ago

To be clear, the loony left would absolutely disown a partisan Democrat who delivered similar tripe.

I think it says something that the mere fact that Otto is a Republican means those on his side of the political spectrum leap to his defense.

I think that illustrates a major difference between the loony left and the radical right.

Bob_Keeshan 5 years, 2 months ago

Rep. Otto needs to get his story straight.

From this story: Otto said he didn’t say that, but instead told Woods he wanted to see Bremby fired. Otto said he has had disputes with Bremby over regulation of day care centers, which is under KDHE’s authority.

From the Topeka Capital-Journal: Otto, who doesn't believe research suggesting pollution is contributing to global warming and possible climate change, said Bremby should be ousted for opposing development of a new coal plant in western Kansas.

From the Associated Press: He said any encounter with Woods occurred perhaps several years earlier and he only suggested Bremby ought to be fired over how his agency regulated day care centers.

So it either happened recently or several years earlier and it was about either coal plants or day care centers. Or Rep. Otto has a problem with the truth when he is called out for his outrageous behavior.

alegreen 5 years, 2 months ago

Why is "opossum" spelled differently throughout the story? Why would Rep. Otto spell it "opossum" on his hat, but "possum" in his quote?

lounger 5 years, 2 months ago

Gee this is the second time a law maker has come across as a racist bigot!! First we had a law maker looking for the next white hope in western kansas and now this. Way to go fools! You are making kansas look silly and ignorant. Let secede from the rest of the state! Then the rest of kansas will really love lawrence!!!!

BrianR 5 years, 2 months ago

I wonder if this idiot hillbilly ever thought for a second how this would appear to his viewing audience?

Bill Otto, the other meathead.

aletheia 5 years, 2 months ago

Santini~ I guess I should have clarified my comment as not to confuse my point. I was speaking as an American citizen about my observation of what has occurred within this country. Nice attempt at trying to minimize the injustices that have occurred within the USA, though.

aletheia 5 years, 2 months ago

Whom I'm sure have suffered greatly from the same racial persecution that American blacks have. Seriously? Irish slaves? You're either trying to pull my leg or you're in the same league as Bill Otto.

Bob_Keeshan 5 years, 2 months ago

Irish indentured servants over what period of time?

Slavery was an accepted practice in this country for over 250 years. Jim Crow and segregation lasted another 100 years.

Equating damages against Irish immigrants to that is like equating the 2 hours you spent in the local jail one time to Nelson Mandela.

You and Nelson Mandela have both equally suffered at the hands of the white man, eh?