Advertisement

Archive for Wednesday, November 11, 2009

KU’s Learned Hall closed for several hours after early-morning mechanical problem

Parts of building filled with smoke; Reopened at approximately 3:45 a.m.

November 11, 2009

Advertisement

A building on the Kansas University campus was closed for about three hours early Wednesday after a mechanical problem caused a section of the building to fill with smoke.

According to Lawrence Douglas County Fire Medical Capt. Pat Karlin, crews responded at about 12:30 a.m. to a report of smoke in a room at Learned Hall. Karlin said the causes of the smoke were a first-floor oil leak combined with an overheating motor on a piece of equipment in the basement.

Neither the building nor any equipment caught fire during the incident.

Learned Hall was free of smoke by approximately 2:30 a.m. and Fire Medical crews cleared the scene by 3:45 a.m., but some rooms could need additional attention later Wednesday, according to Karlin.

"They're going to have cleanup in a number of rooms from the oil," Karlin said. "The adjacent rooms don't seem to have any damage since we didn't have an actual fire and there wasn't any real significant heat. It may be more of a problem with the smell of the oil."

Learned Hall, 1530 West 15th Street, is home to KU's engineering program.

Comments

dmitch86 5 years, 1 month ago

If only there were some engineers around who could have forseen this problem...hmmmm

Tristan Moody 5 years, 1 month ago

If this is where I think it is, then this was forseen, but concerns were largely ignored by the people who were responsible for placing and maintaining the equipment.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.