Archive for Monday, May 18, 2009

At least five people taken to hospitals after spate of accidents

May 18, 2009, 1:06 p.m. Updated May 18, 2009, 2:46 p.m.

Crash near Eudora hospitalizes two

Two people were injured Monday in a head-to-head car crash near Eudora. Enlarge video

Douglas County Fire and Medical personnel along with township fire department employees work the scene of a two-vehicle, head-on collision south of Eudora on County Road 458 Monday afternoon. The drivers of the two cars were taken to the hospital, including one person taken by air ambulance to Kansas University Hospital in Kansas City, Kan.

Emergency crews respond at the scene of an accident at the intersection of 11th and Kentucky streets Monday afternoon.

A Wellsville teenager and a Eudora man were taken to area hospitals after a head-on wreck Monday afternoon on County Road 458 southwest of Eudora.

It was the most serious of three wrecks in a 20-minute span in Douglas County that kept law enforcement and medics busy. Two other wrecks occurred before 1 p.m. in central Lawrence.

Sgt. Steve Lewis, a Douglas County Sheriff’s spokesman, said the accident southwest of Eudora occurred about 12:40 p.m., when Nicholas Mann, 18, of Wellsville, was driving a Ford Taurus east in the 1800 section of County Road 458.

Mann’s vehicle drifted left of the center line as it approached a pickup truck, driven west by 72-year-old Everett Farmer Jr., Eudora. Lewis said both drivers tried to avoid a collision, but in the process, the vehicles struck head-on.

Medics transported Farmer to Lawrence Memorial Hospital, but his injuries were not believed to be life threatening, Lewis said. Firefighters extricated Mann from his car, and he was flown via helicopter ambulance to Kansas University Hospital in Kansas City, Kan.

Sheriff’s officers were still investigating what caused Mann’s vehicle to drift into the oncoming lane, Lewis said.

Minutes before that accident, a tan pickup truck, headed east, ran a red light at 11th and Kentucky streets and collided with a silver Jeep that was headed north on Kentucky Street, said Sgt. Bill Cory, a Lawrence police spokesman.

The truck then spun into the intersection and landed on a City of Lawrence public works pickup truck that was waiting to turn right from 11th Street onto Kentucky Street. Cory said only minor injuries were reported at the scene, but two people were taken to LMH as a precaution.

Finally at 1 p.m., a white Ford Thunderbird was headed east on Ninth Street and made a left turn onto Michigan Street in front of a westbound green four-door car, Cory said. The cars collided, and eventually, after all passengers exited the vehicle, the Ford caught fire. Firefighters extinguished the blaze.

Minor injuries were reported due to the wreck, and at least one person was taken by ambulance to LMH. Lawrence police were still investigating both wrecks and had not yet completed the full accident reports, Cory said.

Comments

micbull 4 years, 11 months ago

My husband was in the City Truck. We are very thankful that everyone was okay.

Bookie 4 years, 11 months ago

Remember last June? Lawrence was crazy with crashes, and serious ones at that.

Graczyk 4 years, 11 months ago

WereAllMonkeys,

People who operate a vehicle while distracted or impaired hardly count as an "unseen force" that can ruin your life. These dangerous drivers are real and their negligence has a real effect.

none2 4 years, 11 months ago

WereAllMonkeys (Anonymous) says…

WereAllMonkeys, your post is just too true for some of these people to be willing to listen to it. The article didn't once mention cell phones as causing the accident. My guess is that grammaddy & sunshine_noise really just have too much time on their hands so they wish to control others. Now-a-days cell phones are something to vilify, they are the same people that a few hundred years ago would have blame a cart over turning on witchcraft.

John Spencer 4 years, 11 months ago

Ban Cell Phones, ban Pharmacies, ban schools that let pharmacists study, ban pills, ban newspapers, ban businesses, ban government, ban children, ban smoking in your own house, ban housing, ban greasy hamburgers, ban french fries, ban guns, ban paint, ban toothbrushes, ban toothpaste, ban crossing the street, ban self pleasuring, ban sunsets and sunrises, ban walking, ban running, ban designer water, ban sugar, ban grills, ban butter, ban Pam, ban gasoline, ban kerosene, ban alcohol, ban thinking, ban teaching, ban clouds, ban sunny days, ban trucks, ban planes, ban trains, ban banning, ban banners, All of these things could in some way hurt you. Take charge of your life and quit blaming someone, quit blaming the government, or some unseen force from ruining your life. If your beliefs don't allow you to dispense a prescibed drug, ask one of the other pharmacists to assist you. If you don't like smoke, don't go where there are smokers. If you don't like fireworks,,,, tough it's once a year take a vacation and go somewhere where there are not fireworks, outer Mongolia perhaps. If you think your house may catch fire, spray lots of water on it the third, fourth and fifth. If you don't like roundabouts, choose a different route. If you are pro-life adopt every child that needs a home. Lets make some banning banners that say ban banner banning.

grammaddy 4 years, 11 months ago

I agree that Kansas needs to ban cell phone use while driving. I've had a few close calls in the last year ( mostly in the roundabouts) and every single time the other driver has had a cell phone up to his (or her) ear. Shut up and drive!!

Pywacket 4 years, 11 months ago

Redfred and Sunshine Noise: no apostrophe needed for making plurals! ;-) I don't act as spelling police a lot, even though (or maybe because) I edit professionally, but, geez louise... I think I've read one too many of my brother's emails lately and I'm on misplaced-apostrophe overload. Please forgive me!

Fred~ As to the substance of your post, I wish I knew what kind of car was blazing away in the Hobby Lobby parking lot Friday afternoon during the downpour. I called 911 (as did a couple of others, it turns out) as no one was near the car and it didn't appear that anyone had noticed it. People were rushing to & from their cars so as not to get drenched, thunder & lightning were nearly constant, and here was this car with smoke billowing from beneath the hood. Occasionally, flames would leap up, then subside.

The car was small and black but I hesitated to get close enough to discern the make--and the rain was so heavy, I couldn't tell from where I was parked. Anybody know about that one? I have not seen a police & fire report in the paper about it. Be interesting if it turned out to be a Ford.

ArumerZwarteHoop 4 years, 11 months ago

too many scantally clad young women walking along the streets, they should be held responsible.

maxcrabb 4 years, 11 months ago

Bikes have to stop at stop signs. Bikes must indicate when turning. Operating a bike under the influence of drugs or alcohol is illegal.

I see all three of those laws broken as much as any car breaking the law.

(and yes, the obviously when i say cars or bikes i mean the vehicles themselves are at fault, and not the operator./sarcasm)

jumpin_catfish 4 years, 11 months ago

My wife and I just returned from walking on one of Lawrence walkingbike paths and was almost run down by a cyclist going too fast in the area we were all in.

So sunshine a little education and common sense would go a long way for MANY cyclist I've seen in this town.

Kat Christian 4 years, 11 months ago

Kansas needs to ban cell phone use while driving. And educate driver's on bicycle awarness. Save gas ride a bike -don't think so too darn dangerous.

redfred 4 years, 11 months ago

Why is it always Ford's that catch fire??

thelonious 4 years, 11 months ago

Texting while driving.....insane. I've seen a LOT of it lately, especially since the rise of Twitter. So perhaps actually tweeting while driving. Either way, stupid - no idea if that is what caused any of these, but I wouldn't be surprised, based on the amount of it I've seen recently.

Come on people - you CANNOT text while driving! Unless you want your last tweet to be "being loaded onto the Life Flight helicopter - not sure if I will make it."

Seriously, something needs to be done about this texting while driving thing. It's much worse than teens sexting each other, which is what seems to get all of the attention.

I've seen too many drivers recently looking at their lap while driving in traffic. You know what they are doing. It's ridiculous!

cheeseburger 4 years, 11 months ago

I sure hope they don't determine that the teen was TWD (texting while driving.) I see it all the time.

Deja Coffin 4 years, 11 months ago

Man, glad I stayed out of the car today! I hope the rest of the driving day is a lot better! I also hope everyone recovers fully from these accidents and hopefully aren't hurt too bad.

meggers 4 years, 11 months ago

I heard on NPR a little bit ago that there have been numerous accidents in the KC/metro area this afternoon, causing all kinds of traffic problems. Whatever the problem is, it isn't confined to Larryville.

crosstownbytch1 4 years, 11 months ago

I hope that all involved will be ok. I was wondering if anyone knows who was in the tan truck and the city truck

dandelion 4 years, 11 months ago

Well, you know how trecherous the roads can be on a day like today. (Sarcasm alert)

introversion 4 years, 11 months ago

I bet everyone involved in every wreck lived in Topeka at one point in their lives.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 11 months ago

crazy!

hope the chopper patient and the burning car victim are gonna be all right!

yes, my first thought on the headline was "school's out, yeeeehaw!" so far, drivers seem very well behaved here!

Steve Jacob 4 years, 11 months ago

Our guess at work was the upside down truck was going the wrong way. If not that, someone had to of missed a light.

passionatelibra 4 years, 11 months ago

I don't know clown. I've seen some pretty insane driving maneuvers happening lately and they were not college age. I would ride a bike, at least in the summer, but I am beginning to think that would be a lot more dangerous.

classclown 4 years, 11 months ago

Just be patient. Accident rates will go way down pretty soon. For a couple of months at least.

imastinker 4 years, 11 months ago

How do you even do that?

By that I mean flip a truck on a street with 30 mph.

passionatelibra 4 years, 11 months ago

I am such a dork. I also meant to say that everyone was shaken up but seemed ok. I thought I saw some people help the woman in the truck to the side of the road but she was moving around so maybe she didn't realize she was hurt at first.

passionatelibra 4 years, 11 months ago

I caught the tail end of the accident on 11th street. I had just gone through that intersection when I heard tires squeal and looked in my rear view mirror.

Since I didn't see the whole thing the police didn't need to talk to me so I came back to work.

angel4dennis 4 years, 11 months ago

Watch out! Sounds like it is getting crazy in Lawrence. I hope everyone is alright.