Archive for Friday, May 8, 2009

Train narrowly avoids motorcycle in North Lawrence

May 8, 2009

A 31-year-old Salina man was arrested early Friday for interfering with duties of an officer and criminal trespassing after refusing to leave his motorcycle after it became lodged between railroad tracks near 3rd and Maple streets.

Police responded at 2:36 a.m. to a report of a motorcycle stuck on the tracks. When police arrived, a man was attempting to dislodge the Harley Davidson while a train approached.

When ordered to leave the area, the man refused. The train made an emergency stop as it neared the motorcycle, Lawrence Police Sgt. Susan Hadl said.

The train did not stop before it reached the motorcycle, but the Harley Davidson was just far enough off the tracks to avoid a collision. The tracks were cleared by 4 a.m., allowing regular train traffic to resume.

The area in which the motorcycle became embedded was barricaded shut when the motorcycle became embedded on the tracks, Hadl said.

Comments

trinity 5 years, 8 months ago

geesh i love my Harley too-but i think i'd abandon her if a train was comin'!

ksdivakat 5 years, 8 months ago

LOL...ya know trinity...ya just dont mess with another mans harley....even a train!!! Im glad the guy wasnt hurt, sorry he went to jail, obviously hes true blue, and nota wannabe!!!

Chris Ogle 5 years, 8 months ago

If were a BMW, instead of Harley, this would have never happened. The Harley probably broke down.

onrywmn 5 years, 8 months ago

Marion,

They put in new tracks and they still don't have enough gravel in between them. You have to go real slow across the tracks. All this week there have been train guys at the tracks with "SLOW" signs so you know to go slow. The work isn't finished yet there at 3rd, 4th and 7th Sts. I didn't go down 8th so don't know what condition it is in.

trinity 5 years, 8 months ago

well if abandoning my scoot in favor of my life makes me a wannabe, then sobe it!

onrywmn 5 years, 8 months ago

musbihiorio,

There was not enough gravel between the tracks apparently which is how he got his bike stuck. They just put the barricades up yesterday to finish working on it. I was just trying to explain how the motorcycle got stuck. I know the guy was an idiot for going through the barricades. That is obvious.

gsxr600 5 years, 8 months ago

From my experience on the road, HD riders are not very intelligent. Many ride with no gear, ride around drunk, are inconsiderate, and overall arseholes. But of course I can't throw down a stereotype blanket over all HD riders.... Well I will go with 90%. It's the truth and if you don't believe it, go talk to one XD

notajayhawk 5 years, 8 months ago

I like the headline.

As if the train swerved to avoid the bike or something.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 8 months ago

not the clearest statement.

yes Nota, I noticed that too, like the train swerved to avoid the motorcyle!

what is a motorcyle anyway?

trinity 5 years, 8 months ago

lol, oh gsx..just yesterday evening i commented to my also-Harley riding hubby about the foolish kids (about 6 of 'em) who were careening down the main street in my home town, on the "crotch rockets"-with their hands in the air and not on the bars, at about 40 mph. yeah, Harley riders are definitely the only stupid ones. yeah.

classclown 5 years, 8 months ago

Seems there's always someone in Lawrence that want's to make the trains have to stop either by getting themselves run over or trying to.

How long until the railroads decide this town screws up their schedules too much and start re routing so no trains come through or anywhere near Lawrence.

buckethead 5 years, 8 months ago

gsxr600 (Anonymous) says…

From my experience on the road, HD riders are not very intelligent. Many ride with no gear, ride around drunk, are inconsiderate, and overall arseholes. But of course I can't throw down a stereotype blanket over all HD riders…. Well I will go with 90%. It's the truth and if you don't believe it, go talk to

you are an idiot.... 90% of HD riders would give a person the shirt off their back. yes, even to a simple closed minded fool as yourself. You are probably one of those goofballs who ride with a full faced helmet and shorts and flip-flops or cool white sneakers.

ksdivakat 5 years, 8 months ago

Trinity...I apologize....I did not intend for you to take offense at the comment, and I wasnt directing it to you...I was just saying that you know that is one true blue biker if he was willing to go to jail for his bike!!! Again, I apologize! Harley riders are not a bunch of idiots..in fact, I would challenge you to go down to slow ride and tell anyone of them that to their face and see how stupid they are!

gccs14r 5 years, 8 months ago

Paying $20,000 for a bike that makes 68 horsepower and can neither stop nor steer isn't the smartest use of one's money. "Lifestyle Branding" is what I think the marketers call it.

12 hours bottle to throttle if you ride a motorcycle. Anything less is suicide. I've seen guys come weaving out of Slow Ride and try to ride down the highway. That is stupid. Telling a drunk he's being stupid is a quick way to end up in a fight, though.

gsxr600 5 years, 8 months ago

"you are an idiot…. 90% of HD riders would give a person the shirt off their back. yes, even to a simple closed minded fool as yourself. You are probably one of those goofballs who ride with a full faced helmet and shorts and flip-flops or cool white sneakers."

Yes and of course you are not a "simple closed minded fool" because you don't throw a blanket stereotype over sportbike riders. In all seriousness, if you have a problem with what I say, please report to:

....we'll get you some cream for that butt hurt.

I always wear a helmet, gloves, jacket, etc. I don't do stupid stuff. I ride safely, carefully, and observantly. I don't have fart exhaust which can be heard from a mile away either. I am a 20 year old college student seeking my degree. Never done a wheelie although people ask me all the time. There are indeed 10% of actually generous, nice HD riders out there, but most are inexperienced and idiotic. When was the last time you read about a sportbike in the news doing something stupid anyway.....

Chris Ogle 5 years, 8 months ago

I used to race motocross with a Hodaka,125cc Combat Wombat ...... talk about stupid....

buckethead 5 years, 8 months ago

gxsr600...... still laughin my a** off from the link,gotta admitt that was funny! Thanks

Teresa Cunningham 5 years, 8 months ago

Stopping a train costs something like $100 per minute. I think that anyone that ignores the barricades and signs should not just pay a fine and for being towed but also the cost to the train company. People will pay more attention to several thousand in fines than they will the possible loss of life. Everyone thinks they're immortal I guess.