Archive for Monday, May 4, 2009

KU student comes in second on ‘Jeopardy!’

KU student and "'Jeopardy!' college contestant Mark Petterson said it was the buzzer that prevented him from holding off his challenger from the University of Missouri.

May 4, 2009

KU student Mark Petterson debuts on 'Jeopardy!'

Mark Petterson, a Kansas University senior from Prairie Village, appeared on “Jeopardy!” on Monday as part of the television game show’s college tournament. Enlarge video

Mark Petterson’s knowledge of the “Lord of the Rings” books, the University of Florida’s football team and the metric system wasn’t enough to push him past a fellow “Jeopardy!” contestant from the University of Missouri.

It was still good enough for a total of $16,200 and a second-place finish in the episode for the Kansas University senior.

Petterson, a liberal arts major, competed in the show’s college tournament. The winners of each of the first five shows this week, along with the next four highest money earners, will go on to the semifinals.

Petterson and about 20 relatives and friends gathered Monday at the Red Lyon to watch his performance. His reaction to losing to a Mizzou student?

It was all in the buzzers, he said, and she was just quicker.

“If it was football, I would care,” he said. “If it’s ‘Jeopardy!,’ I don’t really care.”

Comments

Guns_R_Good 5 years, 7 months ago

Why couldn't we have sent someone with a real major (engineer,business,pharm, etc.) to the competition and not somebody who will be serving fries after graduation? MU shoudn't win at anything!

Eride 5 years, 7 months ago

Hey! Just because he didn't get a real degree doesn't mean he isn't knowledgeable of random facts! Maybe he is just a slacker who wanted to waste his parents money on a useless piece of paper...?

beawolf 5 years, 7 months ago

Guns_R_Good & Eride,

At least He has a degree. Your comments indicate an intense lack of social skills and perhaps jealousy. I have a feeling you both are cleaning restrooms on the night shift somewhere.

Eride 5 years, 7 months ago

At least I am not speculating on the professions of people I know nothing about unlike some posters.

I am soooo jealous of someone earning a degree with no earning potential... being in law school (and having a business degree) and all I would MUCH rather have a worthless LA degree.

walter_sobchak 5 years, 7 months ago

There is no second place in Jeopardy, rather a winner and two losers.

Kyle Reed 5 years, 7 months ago

suckchalkjayhawk 5 years, 7 months ago

funny how there's always an excuse from jayhawks when they get stomped by Mizzou. cant wait to see your reasoning when we dominate you again in football AND basketball next seasons. i understand it sucks, cuz you live in kansas, and the only thing you have going for you is a college basketball team. but hey, at least you dont live in kansas. oh, wait...

Eride 5 years, 7 months ago

" Akreed (Anonymous) says… Yeah, yeah, and my dad is bigger than yours Eride. Do yourself a favor and shut up. "

Nah, the people who should consider staying off of this blog are posters like you and beawolf that only post personal attacks on other people. I know it might be hard for people like you to think rationally and form valid arguments or to say notice when someone might be joking around but that is no excuse to submit us to your drivel.

Practicality 5 years, 7 months ago

suckchalkjayhawk (Anonymous) says…

"funny how there's always an excuse from jayhawks when they get stomped by Mizzou. cant wait to see your reasoning when we dominate you again in football AND basketball next seasons"

Yeah, I forgot. How has this been working out for you recently? I predict next years football game to be about KU 78 Mizzou 0. Basketball probably even worse for you guys. Heck, I imagine your jeaporday contestant was probably even from Kansas.

Sigmund 5 years, 7 months ago

"Potent Potables" was always the first category of this Saturday Night Live skit featuring impersonations of Alex Trebek and Sean Connery?

What is Celebrity Jeapordy? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MImESnfUBaU

Jim Williamson 5 years, 7 months ago

Did the Red Lyon owners try to organize a boycott because the Jeopardy game was being held in Cali rather than Lawrence?

d_prowess 5 years, 7 months ago

Just a comment for Eride: your criticism of certain posters for their personal attacks seems a little hypocritical since your original post speculates that the person in this story a slacker that wastes his parents money. Just thinking you should try to practice what you preach....

MyName 5 years, 7 months ago

Not wanting to feed the trolls but:

Unintentional hilarity? I mean you can't type a complete sentence with correct grammar AND punctuation and you expect us to feel bad about anything you say? And let's just ignore the factual error because you can't "dominate" anyone "again" if you didn't even win the last game (like with football). And, not to put too fine a point on it, but I think eking out a last second win at home and getting blown out away when you played at Kansas (like in basketball) hardly qualifies as "domination". Maybe that word doesn't mean what you think it means? If you continue to "dominate" the Big 12 "again" this season you'll be good enough to finish third, and two games behind the champions (which would be KU).

Anyways, that's my troll feeding for the day.

Practicality 5 years, 7 months ago

MyName,

It appears that poster had a University of Missouri education, so, alas, I believe your post is wasted, for I believe his reading comprehension skills are on a par with his grammar and history knowledge.

MyName 5 years, 7 months ago

Probably true, but with any luck we'll still be able to get him to serve us the good fries next time we stop at the McDonald's in Columbia.

Brandon Devlin 5 years, 7 months ago

You mean there's a McDonald's in Columbia? I can only remember a possum pie stand as I tried to get through town as quickly as possible.

Kyle Reed 5 years, 7 months ago

Yes fuku because a bar is such an unusual place for a college student to be found. Seriously, that is the best jab you could come up with?