Archive for Saturday, March 14, 2009

Brookwood mobile home catches fire again

Firefighters extinguish flames that broke out around at a 1908 E. 19th St. home in the Brookwood Mobile Home Park in March.

Firefighters extinguish flames that broke out around at a 1908 E. 19th St. home in the Brookwood Mobile Home Park in March.

March 14, 2009

Advertisement

Fire breaks out again at mobile home

Fire broke out at a mobile home in Lawrence on Saturday. It was the second time in about a month that a fire had erupted at the residence. Enlarge video

A mobile home that was damaged by fire more than a month ago caught fire again Saturday afternoon. Flames broke out around 1 p.m. at the 1908 E. 19th St. home in the Brookwood Mobile Home Park. The north side of the home was fully engulfed by flames. About half an hour later, Lawrence-Douglas County Fire Medical extinguished the fire.

Battalion Chief Joe Hoelscher, who was on scene, said the fire was being investigated. The mobile home was in the process of being demolished and sparks from the demolition tools could be a possible cause, Hoelscher said.

On Feb. 13, a fire broke out in the same home at around 12:35 p.m. That fire caused $15,000 worth of damage. The owner, Ben Allen, lost most of his belongings, including a piano. At the time, Allen said he suspected arson because of past criminal activity around the property.

The fire department was unable to determine a cause.

Comments

bearded_gnome 6 years, 2 months ago

Allen said he suspected arson because of past criminal activity around the property.


and that criminal activity would be?

I tell you, I'm shocked. there's criminal activity going on at that trailer court? shocked I tell you. just shocked.


I hope mr. allen can find a safe place to live securely.

yellowhouse 6 years, 2 months ago

I am sure the criminal activity is connected to Topeka. Nothing left to do but closed down that park!

HermioneElliott 6 years, 2 months ago

Why do you people see this kind of thing as an opportunity to prove how funny you can be? It is not funny to the police or the fire department. I'll bet the close neighbors were worried about the fire also. Maybe the police can find out who did it and why. Someone out there has to know and I hope they turn the arsonist in.

Ashley Shoemaker 6 years, 1 month ago

Wow. that sucks. :(, stop plugging space heaters into power strips!

Commenting has been disabled for this item.