Archive for Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Self earns Sporting News national coach of the year

March 11, 2009

Kansas coach Bill Self has been honored as the Sporting News' National Coach of the Year, the publication released Wednesday.

Self, who also won the Sporting News' Coach of the Year award in 2000, led the Jayhawks to an outright Big 12 championship with a 14-2 conference record.

So far, KU’s Self has been named national coach of the year by Sporting News, Yahoo Sports, Athlon Magazine, CBSsportsline.com and Foxsports.com.

Comments

1029 5 years, 1 month ago

Glad to see the Sporting News was able to overlook that game against UMass in which Self had Teahan in the game during the closing seconds. (In case anyone forgot: Teahan ended up with a rebound underneath the basket. Too indecisive to lay it in and win the game, Teahan went through an odd serious of panicky motions before throwing the ball to a UMass player as time expired.)

Seriously, though, Self deserves the award. He's done a great job overall.

myopinionmatters 5 years, 1 month ago

Congrats Coach Self!!! Thanks for bringing a title back to Selfville.

flamingdragon 5 years, 1 month ago

you see? the flying carpet is the best coach. He bigger than anyone. Memphis get xavier henry (crybaby) and john wall (prima donna) we still beat they little tennessee top-hat down next year-you will see. Minnesota-manhandle wad up silly opponnent with one hand, other hand holding his mouthpiece so he can smile as he dunk little orange ball into hoop. Twins will be very good.

shockchalk 5 years, 1 month ago

Congrats to Coach Self! He deserves this award and he is a fantastic coach! Rock Chalk Jayhawks!

2fat4u 5 years, 1 month ago

All I'm saying is I love this coach with all my heart! He makes Roy Williams look like a little crybaby schoolgirl. Bill Self, I love you!

myopinionmatters 5 years, 1 month ago

I love what you've done for the University Coach Self. If I was a women, you wouldn't want to know what I would do to you....Seriously, you wouldn't.

2fat4u 5 years, 1 month ago

Lynn Wilson-Bruce 5 years, 1 month ago

Congrats Coach Self! We are blessed to have you for our coach. Rock Chalk! :)

b8es 5 years, 1 month ago

Man it must really suck to me a mizzou fan.