Archive for Wednesday, June 3, 2009

2009 Jayhawks fourth in North? I think not

Shocking prognosis

Kansas University head football coach Mark Mangino speaks with media members in this file photo from Saturday, Aug. 18, 2007 following a morning practice at Memorial Stadium.

June 3, 2009

The Phil Steele preseason college football magazine hits the stands next week and consider yourself warned, fans of Kansas University football: You’re going to see the same color your favorite players see when they look into the stands during football games in Lincoln and Norman.

Steele bills his product as “the most accurate preseason magazine in the last 10 years!”

That doesn’t mean all of his picks are right. Nobody’s that good. In fact, one of his picks in this year’s magazine is outrageously off base; so off base most KU football fans likely will wait for the release of Lindy’s to begin digesting the outlooks of 2009 college football teams.

Here goes: Steele picked Kansas to finish fourth in the Big 12 North. That’s right, fourth!

Memo to Steele: These aren’t the Jayhawks with block lettering on the sides of their helmets. These are the Trajan font Jayhawks. The Jayhawks of seniors Todd Reesing, Kerry Meier and Darrell Stuckey. Seniors have a way of making it happen and these guys have played like veterans since they stepped foot on campus. Sure, the schedule is particularly brutal, but fourth place? In the North?

Steele picks Nebraska first. Nothing outlandish about that selection. The Cornhuskers controlled both lines of scrimmage in the KU game in Lincoln. The Cornhuskers have size and speed and a tremendous home-field advantage, though their game against KU is in Lawrence this season, reason enough to make Kansas an even better pick for first place than Nebraska.

Anyone who cries foul with anybody picking either KU or the ’Huskers to win the North thinks with his or her heart. It’s where Steele goes from there, namely off the deep end, that will draw the ire of local football fans.

Steele has Colorado and, get this, Kansas State tied for second place.

Dan Hawkins built a juggernaut at Boise State and based on that it’s easy to project that he’ll do the same at Colorado, if he can convince recruits that the students will come down off the slopes and support the football team in a big way once he puts a powerhouse product on the field. But better than Kansas now?

Bill Snyder II doesn’t have to be as remarkable as Bill Snyder I for the Wildcats to become a contender, but to think that will happen in the first year after Ron Prince would be to believe luck had anything whatsoever to do with Lawrence High’s state-championship baseball team’s 9-0 record in one-run games. The best indicator of a team’s balance, pitching depth, unity, toughness and ability to perform in the clutch is its one-run record.

OK, enough baseball talk. Back to football.

The gargantuan advantage KU has at quarterback over the rest of the North teams is enough to make the Jayhawks the team to beat.

Joe Ganz is gone for Nebraska. Dual-threat Zac Lee leads Cody Green and Latravis Washington in the competition. Smart money says runner-extraordinaire Daniel Thomas will beat out Carson Coffman at K-State. Neither Cody Hawkins nor Tyler Hansen of Colorado approaches Reesing in ability.

What do Lee, Green, Washington, Thomas, Coffman, Hawkins and Hansen have in common? Given the choice, I’d take Meier to quarterback my team over any of them. Instead, Meier will catch Reesing’s perfect strikes. Advantage Kansas.

Comments

Rickyonealku 5 years, 6 months ago

My take on this is OMG plus personally I think polls should come out the second weekend of October.

Now all of us Kansas Football fans can't wait until August, plus great that the Kansas vs Duke game has already been picked for TV. So that tells you what???? its not basketball between Kansas and Duke its F.O.O.T.B.A.L.L. and as ESPN's Mr. Lee Corso would say!!!!!

NOT SO FAST MY FRIEND!!!!!!! (4th)??????

Rock Chalk Jayhawks....(1st)

jaywalker 5 years, 6 months ago

Steele is usually spot on, but it's important to note he had KU ranked something like 65th two years ago when we went to the Orange Bowl. KU's issue is O-line. We're incredibly inexperienced with only about 26 games played by the projected starters. If you can remember how Reesing looked tired the second half of last season, it's because he was running for his life so much. He got pummeled last year with two new tackles trying to learn the position. This year it's the interior of the line.
If the line holds up, KU has a realistic shot at 10-2 and Steele will be dead wrong again. If not.......?

BOKNOWS 5 years, 6 months ago

First I would like to say that I agree that steele is wrong about KU being 4th in the north. This race is clearly between NU and KU. Secondly: Tom Keegan... if you want to be a credible writer, you should do some research. If you would have done any research you would know that Patrick Witt transferred in March. to Yale I believe. Ku does have reesing, and that should give them the edge. They also have a brutal scheduale against the big 3 in the south and Mizzou is never a gimme. On the other hand NU plays just as brutal a scheduale with games at virginia Tech, at Mizzou, at Colorado and at Kansas with a home contest against oklahoma. I don't know how evenly matched these two teams are. that said I do believe that nebraskas front 4 will get lots of pressure on Reesing with KU's O-line being depleted. then again the game is here in Lawrence and that's a big advatage as we saw last year. This is the game to watch in the North, I believe the winner goes to the ship but with the tough scheduals the loser could also go as we saw mizzou go after getting beat by KU. Good luck to both teams this fall and lets hope the North is on it's way to rivaling the south!

hip_gma 5 years, 6 months ago

Polls are polls. You still gotta play the games. Time will tell.

newmedia 5 years, 6 months ago

Anyone that buys those preseason football rags get what they deserve. Other than a listing of the schedules they are usually nothing more than fair bird cage fodder. These so called "experts" offer an opinion that is no better than yours or mine.

BOKNOWS 5 years, 6 months ago

ed-

I agree that maybe this pick will be bulletin board material for the Hawks but believe me when I say no teams in the north will be overlooking the Hawks other than Colorado being Mr. Hawkins has already said they will beat every team in the North and go to a BCS game this season. I doubt that. What I don't doubt is KU will be really good as they have been the past few years and the north is going to be a battle!

Steve Jacob 5 years, 6 months ago

Colorado does have KU, MU, and NU all at home. K-State gets MU, KU, CU all at home, and a 5th Big 12 "home" game at Arrowhead vs ISU. So one of those two teams can pop-up and pass KU and Nebraska.

bangaranggerg 5 years, 6 months ago

That's gotta be our new battle cry- "These are the Trajan font Jayhawks"!!!

bangaranggerg 5 years, 6 months ago

That's gotta be our new battle cry- "These are the Trajan font Jayhawks"! Oh, how opponents will cower.

jumpin_catfish 5 years, 6 months ago

Never a big fan fo Keegan but Trajan font Jayhawks! Please Tom, ya got to have something better than that.

jumpin_catfish 5 years, 6 months ago

Never a big fan of Keegan but Trajan font Jayhawks! Please Tom, ya got to have something better than that.

BOKNOWS 5 years, 6 months ago

What do Lee, Witt, Thomas, Coffman, Hawkins and Hansen have in common? Given the choice, I’d take Meier to quarterback my team over any of them. Instead, Meier will catch Reesing’s perfect strikes. Advantage Kansas.

Thats a bold statement Keegan! I don't disagree that mier was a pretty good QB but he has played QB fewer times than all but 1 of those guys in the last 3 years. Like I said if you did your research you might know that all those QB's listed are very capable excluding the CU guys. I rarely dare to say the "P" word or take a quote from Dan Hawkins, But "This IS division 1 football" and with the "Parody" in the collage game at this level there are few programs that have QB's that are not respectable. That might be somthing you could add to your colums to make them a more enjoyable read...A little respect! I vote Matt Tate and yourself should switch jobs he does a far better job on high school colums than you ever will with the college game my friend. Take a lesson from Matt and have some respect!

BOKNOWS 5 years, 6 months ago

ed-

I respect your opinion but my thought is Oklahoma loses big to the Whorens and will be focused on the duty of playing kansas. Kansas may win but I think Oklahoma beats both KU and NU. Texas Tech on the otherhand should lose to KU and NU. I don't see Tech being better than 5th in the south and if A&M gets some of those freshman playing well tech could wind up last. I completely agree with your assesments though. The north is WIDE open and at this point it is anyone of four or five teams that could take it down.

Tony Kisner 5 years, 6 months ago

Tom,

Did your editor surprise you with a column dead line? I have seen my seventh grader put together a more cohesive set of sentences.

classclown 5 years, 6 months ago

The_Original_Bob (Anonymous) says…

Holy Jebus. It is a preseason magazine designed to incite conversation and arguements to sell magazines. It is June. Goodness. Keegan should stick with humiliating a dead man's family.

=================================

If you're referring to that article about Tisdale and the net cutting after his death, that was written by Chuck Woodling.

Armen Kurdian 5 years, 6 months ago

I wish we had been picked dead last in the Big XII. That would make for even greater motivation. Oh well, I think we can work w/this prediction.

Shardwurm 5 years, 6 months ago

I don't think we'll have a good read on this team until they pass through the juggernauts of UTEP and Duke. If they can somehow manage to win those two I think it could be a team of destiny.

notajayhawk 5 years, 6 months ago

Shardwurm (Anonymous) says…

"I don't think we'll have a good read on this team until they pass through the juggernauts of UTEP and Duke."

Amusing.

I was wondering why anyone would put a Duke game, no matter who their opponent is, on national TV (let alone who would make a big deal out of it). Altogether, over the past five seasons they're 8-50.

rgh 5 years, 6 months ago

I see some of you blasting playing Duke when Florida opens with Charleston Southern (they play football?), and USC opens with 6 loss San Jose State. Let's not forget K-State playing Umass and Louisiana (no, not LSU!). It is time to step up the pre-conference schedule though.

The guys being picked anything lower than 2nd is a slap in the face, but as many have said, you have to play the games. Just ask Fizzou from last year. Reesing to Meier will live on forever like Chalmers vs. Memphis.

Rock Chalk to the Big XII title (not just the north as Mizzou thinks is the top).

uofneb322 5 years, 6 months ago

nebraska is far and away the best team in the north - everybody else will fight for 2-5, with ISU in last of course

notajayhawk 5 years, 6 months ago

rgh (Anonymous) says…

"I see some of you blasting playing Duke ... "

I wasn't referring to the strength of KU's schedule, only wondering why in the heck that game rates national TV.

jaywalker 5 years, 6 months ago

Shardwurm's a KSU troll. He already banged that drum while ignoring the 'murderer's row' the 'Cats face this year. Don't feed the troll. Utep's no slouch, Duke is on the rise with Cutcliffe as coach, and Southern Miss has been to a bowl game 10 of the last 11 years. This is the strongest non-con KU's had in a while. I love it.

Thats_messed_up 5 years, 6 months ago

LOLOLOL Go Cats! LOLOLOLOL Rock Choke Chicken

Brian Conrad 5 years, 6 months ago

One thing for sure the dominace over KSU will continue on the court and the field.. lololololololol kitty cat

freddyphelpsjr 5 years, 6 months ago

Yeah, I'd say Zac Lee has the lead on Patrick Witt for the Nebraska QB job. Experts say he took the lead when Witt decided to transfer to Yale in February.

Come on, do a little research. It would behoove you to know a little more about Nebraska, since they will be KU's toughest Big 12 North opponent this year.