Archive for Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Witnesses describe trauma of high-speed chase that injured officer

Barbara Jo Schnegelsiepen made an appearance in Douglas County District Court on Tuesday. She faces 11 charges, including two felony counts of aggravated battery on a law enforcement officer.

January 13, 2009, 5:37 p.m. Updated January 14, 2009, 10:28 a.m.

Officers describe December high-speed chase in court

The morning of December 2 was a scary one for area law enforcement. Enlarge video

Lawrence Police Sgt. Craig Shanks talks about the pursuit of Barbara Jo Schnegelsiepen on December 2, 2008.

Barbara Jo Schnegelsiepen makes an appearance in Douglas County Court on Tuesday. She was involved in a high speed chase on Dec. 2 that led several area law enforcement agencies on a chase through western Douglas County.

Lawrence Police Officer Hayden Fowler went through a lot on Dec. 2.

He was in three wrecks, witnessed a fellow officer being hit by a car and drew his gun on a suspect twice, all in a matter of minutes.

Fowler became emotional Tuesday afternoon as he recalled the events in Douglas County District Court. He testified he was at the center of the high-speed car chase and eventual apprehension of Barbara Jo Schnegelsiepen, 27, of Topeka.

“She smiled and accelerated the car into the passenger’s side of my car,” said Fowler, who became choked up on the stand.

Schnegelsiepen faces 11 charges, including two felony counts of aggravated battery on a law enforcement officer. Prosecutors said she led officers on a chase as they tried to apprehend her in connection with reported burglaries at two Lawrence homes. The chase led officers into rural areas of the county west of Lawrence and reached speeds in excess of 90 mph, Fowler said.

Schnegelsiepen passed several vehicles in no-passing zones and crossed the center line in front of oncoming traffic, causing three cars and a dump truck to stop on the side of the road, Lawrence Police Sgt. Craig Shanks testified.

“It appeared to be completely intentional,” Shanks said.

It’s alleged that Schnegelsiepen abandoned a blue Jeep-type vehicle west of Lecompton that was used during the first leg of the chase and continued the chase in a white Dodge Stratus.

Fowler said he was behind the white car for much of the chase and slammed his patrol cruiser into it two times to bring the chase to an end.

“I drove my patrol car as fast as I could into the right passenger’s side wheel,” he said.

Brown testified that Schnegelsiepen told him she was afraid there was a warrant out for her arrest and that she wouldn’t get to see her children for Christmas if she were arrested.

At the conclusion of the preliminary hearing, which is scheduled to resume this morning, District Judge Peggy Kittel will decide whether enough evidence exists for Schnegelsiepen to stand trial on the charges.

Schnegelsiepen is being held in Douglas County Jail on $350,000 bond. Kittel denied a request to reduce Schnegelsiepen’s bond to $100,000 during a Dec. 16 hearing where Johnson said the woman’s family was willing to put their house as bond collateral.

Schnegelsiepen has an extensive criminal history throughout northeastern Kansas, including convictions for possessing opiates, opium or narcotics; having a fictitious or revoked driver’s license; theft of property valued between $1,000 and $25,000; criminal trespass; and battery of a law enforcement officer. Those charges were from Jackson and Shawnee counties. Douglas County prosecutors said the woman was on probation in Shawnee County at the time of the chase.

Comments

compmd 5 years, 11 months ago

“She smiled and accelerated the car into the passenger’s side of my car,” said Fowler"She thought that police were supposed to stop chasing people if cars … were being forced off the road," Lawrence Police detective Sean Brown testified"Schnegelsiepen told him she was afraid there was a warrant out for her arrest and that she wouldn't get to see her children for Christmas if she was arrested."So did she also think that by killing a cop they'd just go "ohhh! she only wants to see her kids! let her go, boys!" If this woman had a weapon on her she probably would have given her children a closed-casket funeral for christmas.Since she must like drugs (she has prior drug convictions) maybe she should take some pancuronium bromide, potassium chloride, and sodium thiopental. Before anyone calls me a jerk or cold for saying so, let me remind you that she would have killed any one of use without a second thought.

Hoots 5 years, 11 months ago

Why was this woman free in the first place? I've seen her wrap-sheet and I can't believe she was walking around among civilized people. The system didn't do its job for sure.In the meantime Bernie Madoff who made-off with $50 billion in people's retirement, people's future's, charities future's, and many banks money sits in his $7 million dollar penthouse in New York drinking tea and living the high life.

weluvbowling 5 years, 11 months ago

OMG that hair makes her look trashier than her wrap sheet is long! Can we say white trash perfect?!?!?!Lock her you know what up and throw away the key!They need to charge her with contributing to the delinquency of minors for her kids seeing this behavior. No kid needs to grow up learning to live life like this!

Mary Darst 5 years, 11 months ago

I'm thinking she needs a serious 'intervention'.

Bladerunner 5 years, 11 months ago

Evidently she didnt realize some Judges give day passes for Christmas!

samsnewplace 5 years, 11 months ago

SRS are you reading this? Isn't it time you stepped in and gave those innocent kids a real chance in life by sparing them being raised by a "druggie"? How much more do you need to take them away?

Brent Fry 5 years, 11 months ago

Can't someone just slip this piece of white trash all the meth, crack and cocaine she needs and just let her rid of herself in jail?

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 11 months ago

Some are desperate to believe that no one does anything bad -intentionally. Me, I say reality is reality. I believe that we are born what we are and some people are born cold and cruel and they are hardwired from birth. Those who change always had the capacity to do so, they just needed guidance as to how.This women is monster. Obviously she had this planned if she thought the police would stop if she just ran a few cars off the road. In other words the more crimes I commit in succession the least likely I am to be arrested?Her family are as nuts as she is if they were willing to risk losing thier home to get her out of jail.

woodenfleaeater 5 years, 11 months ago

I love what she's done with her hair!!!! Gorgeous!!

samsnewplace 5 years, 11 months ago

redfred, I agree totally...I just keep hoping O N E supervisor will actually be human still and remember what type of job they are putting in their hours everyday for: TO HELP THOSE WHO CAN'T HELP THEMSELVES!

jaywalker 5 years, 11 months ago

It's 'rap' sheet, not 'wrap' sheet. Best thing for her kids would be she doesn't get out 'til they're fully grown. This woman's screamin' for a long sentence.

woodenfleaeater 5 years, 11 months ago

Her hair compliments her meth mouth strikingly.

AnglNSpurs 5 years, 11 months ago

I agree Woodenflea! I'm going to do my hair like that tomorrow! This is the new fashion trend! On second thought…. I like my job, never mind! Okay, now I maybe being catty.... but seriously, how can any judge or jury take her seriously with that hair, and smug look! She sure looks remorseful. I hope they throw the book at her, lock her up and not even give her a chance at parole given her rap. Society is better with trash like this locked up.

kjo_shorty 5 years, 11 months ago

SRS most definately needs to step in here but they also need to be warned that the rest of her family is no better than her... I never thought I'd say that state custody was the best place for a child. Sadly, in this case, it is. I hope they put her away for a long, long time.

weluvbowling 5 years, 11 months ago

I say wrap sheet because it wrap's around the County jaywalker...LOL

bearded_gnome 5 years, 11 months ago

Brown testified that Schnegelsiepen told him she was afraid there was a warrant out for her arrest and that she wouldn’t get to see her children for Christmasif she were arrested.I nominate her for 'mother of the year," I mean, look at how hard she sacrificed to be able to see her kids! ***Hey, cheers to the officers who handled this chase very well. and Godspeed to the injured officer; I'm glad you're released from the hospital, I hope you're recovering well. we often make jokes that "topeka" is where lawrence's crime comes from. in this case if "Topeka" had been doing its proper justice, she wouldn't have been on the road that day. BJ Schwartzenhertz, rot in jail!for a very long time.

Chris Ogle 5 years, 11 months ago

bearded_gnome 5 years, 11 months ago

suppose she'll be cellmate buddies with Ramona Morgan? hey, the two of them could do a tour of kansas high school drivers ed classes! wow, there's a plan for community service!

justaverage 5 years, 11 months ago

SHE has children? One has to have a license or a permit or a brain to do just about ANYTHING in our society except to breed! Sterilize her and put in her jail for a long time. She should be glad that officers showed restraint and didn't blast her full of holes! She is going to cost us taxpayers a lot of money from here on out. People like her make me sick! No sympathy for her from me at all!

bangaranggerg 5 years, 11 months ago

Chris Ogle 5 years, 11 months ago

How bout GITMO. Those folks would welcome her.

weluvbowling 5 years, 11 months ago

bangaranggerg you must be related to this waste of good air. You sure talk like it!

woodenfleaeater 5 years, 11 months ago

Maybe bangaranggerg did her hair. If so, you should open a salon.

iplaysupernintendo 5 years, 11 months ago

She must have been text messaging while driving...just sayin'.

JKBagby 5 years, 11 months ago

SRS is amazingly backwards. Actually, not even backward but in a perpetual state of chaotic ignorance.

weluvbowling 5 years, 11 months ago

Funny autie! I thought Schnegelsiepen was a bad rash that wouldn't go away (or a vd)! Thanks for cluing me in!

nekansan 5 years, 11 months ago

[“She thought that police were supposed to stop chasing people if cars … were being forced off the road,” Lawrence Police Detective Sean Brown testified, in recalling an interview with Schnegelsiepen after the chase.Schnegelsiepen intentionally drove at Lawrence Police Officer Doug Payne on U.S. Highway 40 east of Big Springs and then corrected her approach as the officer tried to get out of the way, Chief Assistant District Attorney Dave Melton has said. Payne was taken to a Kansas City-area hospital after being hit by the car. He was later released.]How about attempted murder charges? If she intentionally tried to run down an officer with a 2000lb+ car it's not a stretch at all to believe she was trying to kill him. This even further underscores why police should not abandon pursuits. This idiot believed that all you had to do to get the police to stop chasing you is drive crazy. Criminals have to know that trying to run from the police not only results in getting caught for the original crime but having some severe penalties and a felony conviction tacked on for good measure.

woodenfleaeater 5 years, 11 months ago

You mean Schnegelsiepen isn't a type of Dutch pastry?

woodenfleaeater 5 years, 11 months ago

invictus.....Which baby daddy? There's probably a few of them.

RuralKsGirl 5 years, 11 months ago

Bang - You make me sick. An officer goes through an ordeal like that to get the trash off the street and get a bit emotional on the stand and you stoop so low as to mock him? I hope, for Officer Fowler's sake, that you never need the assistance of his department and he ends up being called out to protect YOU.Schnegelsiepen's hair style is irrelevant. She's behind bars, not at Fashion Week in Paris. And why is it even worth discussing? She's already more than proven that she's not worth the hair bands tying up her braids, anyway.bearded - NO on the driver's ed thing. Just plain "NO".

weluvbowling 5 years, 11 months ago

RuralKSGirl, her "hair" is worth discussing because it shows her intelligence (or lack thereof) and her "up bringing" (and again, or lack thereof). Also, it's funny! It adds some humor to the day! Just my opinion no one has to like it! smile

xdcr 5 years, 11 months ago

Bang- you are so right. What this city doesn't need are emotional, caring police officers that are willing to put their life on the line to protect you and I. This "mother of the year" needed to get home to her children after robbing two Lawrence homes. her story brings tears to my eyes also, little "B'. Now go crawl back under your rock.

Tracy Myers 5 years, 11 months ago

bangaranggerg 5 years, 11 months ago

wow take a page from the cops and go cry about it losers

weluvbowling 5 years, 11 months ago

scratches head is it just me or is bangarangerg a freaking moron?

LAWnative 5 years, 11 months ago

For all of the people that don't believe it - cops are human too! I would think that Office Fowler was probably a little bit angry that his buddy got hit by a car!! I am glad that all officers involved are ok and thanks for getting the trash out of our neighborhoods! Gotta give the LPD their props for protecting and serving!!

weluvbowling 5 years, 11 months ago

agreed cheeseburger! It's the only thing I could think of without being too rude and having my comment removed.

woodenfleaeater 5 years, 11 months ago

Maybe bang is just upset at the police due to the fact they put his baby mama behind bars.

bombshell 5 years, 11 months ago

i want the name of whoever does her hair! if i ever have to show up in court and look like an upstanding citizen, then i'm going straight to her hairdresser first....but, just to class it up a bit, i'll ask that my hairbands match my shirt.

weluvbowling 5 years, 11 months ago

No, none2, I think Wendy had a brain. It's quite obvious that this one doesn't!

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 11 months ago

Am I the only woman who is sick and tired of men who say truly abysmally stupid things and then look wounded and go, why don't you have a sense of humor?I don't give a damn what her hair looks like. Perhaps they could shave the heads of everyone who appears in court and then assure equal treatment for all.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 11 months ago

Ruralksgirl:bearded - NO on the driver's ed thing. Just plain “NO”.just a bit of gallows humor. imagine Thelma and Louise...***I agree w/the poster above, good job judge for not reducing the bond for this piece of trash. guess she won't be home for her kids for a long time. yeah, that did occur to me too, why wasn't she charged with attempted murder on the LEO? not like they lacked witness statements! again, if Topeka's system had been working properly, she wouldn't have been on the road that day. what is wrong with Topeka?

KcSlumper 5 years, 11 months ago

BladerunnerGood One!! Your funny...................