Archive for Sunday, January 11, 2009

Lawrence man arrested after early-morning chase

A 40-year-old Lawrence man led police on a low-speed chase that left city limits.

January 11, 2009, 4:02 a.m. Updated January 12, 2009, 12:00 a.m.

A 40-year-old Lawrence man led Lawrence police officers on an early-morning chase that extended past city limits Sunday.

Lawrence police Sgt. Susan Hadl said a citizen alerted police to a possible drunk driver near Sixth and Kasold streets at 1:39 a.m.

Police located the man’s 1997 green Chevrolet at 1:55 near 15th and Kasold streets; he was driving without headlights. The vehicle was weaving between lanes and bumping into curbs.

The man refused to pull over, leading police on a low-speed chase, ranging between 30 and 45 mph, Hadl said.

Police took him into custody without incident.

Hadl said he was charged with operating under the influence, failure to yield, attempting to flee and “a host of other traffic violations.”

Police also served two outstanding warrants. Hadl did not identify the man, who was not injured.

Comments

jaywalker 6 years ago

16 minutes to get from 6th to 15th? "Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Leslie Swearingen 6 years ago

Why did it take the police so long to stop him, when he was driving so slow? jaywalker, how do you know the man is fat, and what bearing does that have on the case?I suggest we all stop making slurs against fat people.

Hoots 6 years ago

I got the reference to Animal House. Made me smile. Humor is lost on many here. Too bad...so sad.

skinny 6 years ago

and his name was???????????Come on Lawrence Journal World, start printing the information, it is public information. The Topeka and Kansas City Papers do!

somebodynew 6 years ago

skinny - just go to the Douglas Couty Sheriff website and look at booking recap. You will not only get his name, but the names of the ones involved in the shooting on K-10, and all the others arrested.

justaverage 6 years ago

Driving a motor vehicle is a privilege, not a right. I don't care who this person is, but they should lose their driver's license for life!

TtownKUlivin 6 years ago

Haha, you want people to stop using slurs against "bigger" people. First of all, I didn't even see a slur and secondly, you used the slur in your own post. So, what are we suppose to think of that? You said, "Stop making slurs against FAT people". Good start huh? I find it funny that this guy was drunk and swerving all over the road, yet he could avoid the spike strips two times(I don't find it funny that he was driving drunk). Now, where are all the people complaining about how the cops chase down criminals on the road, endangering the lives of other people on the streets? Should we let drunk drivers continue driving without trying to stop them too? I mean, if running from an aggravated robbery isn't enough reason to chase them down, why should ONE drunk driver be a cause for concern to the police? I guess as long as you keep them under 55 mph it's okay to do so.

triplegoddess13 6 years ago

Cleo-did you think that maybe it took the police just the right amount of time to stop him because they were taking into consideration some other factors such as who else might have been on the road or in the way, getting the stop sticks set up, and making sure it was safe for everyone involved. All of these things have a process that has to be followed and I bet you would be one of the first to yell if some passerby had been injured in this incident.

Chris Ogle 6 years ago

OJ says, That was me man. I been telling you guys I am not capable of killing, or kidnapping. Here is proof. If I am not schmart enough to stop when I am nutrientionally gifted, and under the influence of someone elses drinks.... then I couldn't possibly be guilty of muder, or kidnapping. I want the OUI, come on man, don't be racist about this. Let me trade charges.

TheYetiSpeaks 6 years ago

Anxiously awaiting the new O.J. opus: "If I Had Driven Drunk, This Is How I Would Have Done It."

George_Braziller 6 years ago

So where did they put the spike strips? On the sidewalk? Or did the vehicle drive on the sidewalk to avoid them?-----------------------------------------------------------------"After running through several red lights, police deployed spikes at 31st and Nieder streets and 33rd and Iowa streets; the vehicle avoided both spike strips."

Leslie Swearingen 6 years ago

I have a wonderful sense of humor. I watch Saturday Night Live and I loved Pineapple Express and Tropic Thunder and I thought Smokin' Aces was a hoot.Okay, I am fat. I don't have a problem with fat. The fact that I am writing this does not prove I have a problem. I just think fat people should be accepted the way we accept those of different faiths and color.I am not buying the statistics about fat people because I do not know who made up the fact.I do not mind fat people being called fat. Call me that to my face, I won't get bent out of shape.I simply mind it being used as synonymous with stupid.Okay, I did not get the reference to Animal House. I am embarrassed by that.

bearded_gnome 6 years ago

spacehog(Anonymous) says…Fat people compailn a lot.---apparently fat people can't type, either?apparently he wasn't too impaired! avoiding two stop sticks, isn't that in the manual for a field sobriety test? I love the videos on "world's dumbest" (trueTV) of drunks. some of them are truly LMAO! wonder if this driver could recite his alphabet. one drunk on video claimed to be part of the CIA; so, the officer asked him to spell that. the drunk couldn't. so why doesn't the LJWorld give us the ID of the guy? says he was served with two warrants, without being specific. is one of those warrants for not returning from a christmas furlough?chill out and just appreciate the humor Cleo FGS! somebody here in america who's stopped driving drunk, pretty good odds he's carryin' a wide load.

George_Braziller 6 years ago

Ok. Can someone please tell me where in the original article there was any reference to the weight of the guy? He might be six feet tall top the scales at 100 pounds. It doesn't say and it isn't relevant.

lisabeth2002 6 years ago

George,It all came about when Jaywalker made a reference to a quote from "Animal House". Saying, "Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son." Cleopatra didn't get the reference....and the talk about fat people started mostly unrelated to the story.

George_Braziller 6 years ago

Lisabeth - I read all of the posts so I know where the "fat" comments started. I also watched "Animal House" way too many times when I was in high school so I know the original quote. The point was what is the purpose of the moronic comments about the guy's weight?

lisabeth2002 6 years ago

pretty sure it is all in fun....not to be taken seriously. comments got a little off base. Like I said "mostly unrelated to the story."

bearded_gnome 6 years ago

geeeees, George,it is a long time established tradition on these comment threads that somebody who acts like this drunken nimrod is fair game for potshots. ooops, now I've gone and done it! I called this upstanding citizen a [gasp] nimrod! how can I do that? oh my. you and cleo get your water from the same well?

jaywalker 6 years ago

Sweet Mary!!!! What the hell did I start?!! Talk about a string swingin' off on a tangent.............All in fun folks, purely Animal House, no slur intended, didn't mean to start nothin'. Peace.

bearded_gnome 6 years ago

no worries..Cleo just loves the smell of threadvirus in the morning.LOL!I think Cleo's reality is about 30% out of phase with ours. or, somebody's loosened the vertical hold!

reliable_tv 6 years ago

Cleo,Where's the remote control I gave you?~We'll fix you for Good~

formerfarmer 6 years ago

"After running through several red lights, police deployed spikes at 31st and Nieder streets and 33rd and Iowa streets; the vehicle avoided both spike strips. The driver proceeded southbound on Iowa, turning west on route 458."(458 intersection is 1/2 mile south of K-10)"Douglas County sheriff’s deputies set up spike strips near the Kansas Highway 10 bypass, which the driver struck, sending him into a ditch near the 1300 block of route 458, after he continued for about half a mile, she said.."Cme on, ljw, this makes no sense. the 1300 block of 458 is the Wells Overlook road, 1/2 mile EAST and 1 1/2 miles SOUTH of the intersection of west bound 458.

Grundoon Luna 6 years ago

He just got lucky and missed the spike sticks. Kind of like how the drunk chick in 40 year old virigin slid perfectly in to that parking space.I want some fr-e-e-ench toast.

AnglNSpurs 6 years ago

Did anyone watch the video..... seems to repeat its self a bit don't you think?

Leslie Swearingen 6 years ago

I did not mean to start all this. I was just speaking up for fat people, I would have done the same if the remark had been about a black, or any other group.Fat people are still people and have feelings.Maybe, scrawny, skinny little people who are angry because they need to eat something don't understand this.If you don't know me by now you never will.I do understand give and take. Take me on dozens sometime.

Thinking_Out_Loud 6 years ago

I was actually out and about Saturday night on Kasold north of 6th Street, and suddenly it seemed like every LPD, DCSD, and KHP officer in the county was swarming around me for about 10 minutes. I couldn't go a half-block without having to pull over and yield right-of-way to an emergency vehicle with lights on. It was all very exciting.

Leslie Swearingen 6 years ago

Yo Mama's so skinny, you can save her from drowning by tossing her a Cheerio.

woodenfleaeater 6 years ago

Yo mama's so skinny she has to wear a belt w/ biker shorts.