Archive for Friday, February 20, 2009

Police arrest man in purse-snatching

February 20, 2009, 1:12 p.m. Updated February 20, 2009, 4:25 p.m.

Lawrence police Friday arrested a 36-year-old Lawrence man for purse-snatching following an incident in an apartment complex parking lot in the 1000 block of West 24th Street.

A 90-year-old woman was walking in the parking lot when a man came up behind her, grabbed her purse and ran east down an alley, police said. A neighbor picked up the woman and they drove to Dillons, 1015 W. 23rd St., where they saw a man rummaging through a purse.

Police were called and the neighbor began honking his horn at the suspect, who then approached the car, police said. He gave the woman’s personal items to the neighbor and then ran away. All of the woman’s belongings were recovered and she was not injured, police said.

The suspect was booked into jail for robbery but a formal charge was pending.

Comments

itsjustlindsay 5 years, 1 month ago

Woodenfleaeater:

FYI I was dining in at Pizza Hut when it happened. And I know both delivery drivers that were cornered. Thanks for playing though.

persevering_gal 5 years, 1 month ago

It's sad that a man has to go after a 90 year old lady to get some money. Come and try to snatch my purse, and I guarantee you that I will come running after you.

jackbinkelman 5 years, 1 month ago

This is a particularly disturbing crime to me. Imagine the frailty of your great grand mother, getting her purse ripped out of her grip, or off of her shoulder. She could have been seriously injured if she had fallen. This degenerate needs to be made an example of. SERIOUS shock time in prison.

bearded_gnome 5 years, 1 month ago

cheeseburger (Anonymous) says…

Good job, LPD! Now I hope the DA will charge the suspect with something more than loitering!

given recent cases, Branson will plea/drop the charge to something like "disorderly in public" or "spitting on the sidewalk." this guy shouldn't just face "a Robbery charge alone.

truthwithin 5 years, 1 month ago

Oh, yes, he certainly was a black man, not that it has anything to do about this or any crime at all. Hopefully he will make new friends in jail and form relationships that will last a lifetime.

black_butterfly 5 years, 2 months ago

You can bet he wasn't a black man. If he had been the article would have mentioned it. LJW always make sure to mention when someone black commits a crime but if it is not a black man, then it is just a "suspect".

beobachter 5 years, 2 months ago

somebodynew , you are new here. You want hawk to have common sense? Never has and newer will happen.

TheGreatOz 5 years, 2 months ago

What a low-life. Stealing a little 90-year-old's purse.

GardenMomma 5 years, 2 months ago

"The suspect was booked into jail for robbery but a formal charge was pending."

Perhaps this is why the description is lacking. He's in jail. At least until he makes bail.

madmike 5 years, 2 months ago

consumer1- Based on your description, we should place a BOLO on corporal Max Klinger!

somebodynew 5 years, 2 months ago

Um - Hawk, I am confused. While I agree with your basic concept, this crime happened in the middle of the day. I don't think a street light would have had any impact on this crime as it wouldn't have been on even if it was there.

Mike Blur 5 years, 2 months ago

Someone got disappeardeded in this thread.

hawkperchedatriverfront 5 years, 2 months ago

STREET LIGHTS needed.

Check out what Wildgen did on Connecticut in the 1100 block. Light still there and Wildgen is gone. That was one of the smartest things he did.

cheeseburger 5 years, 2 months ago

hawkperchedatriverfront 5 years, 2 months ago

ran east down an alley? there aren't any alleys I can think of south of 23rd street

mommyoffour 5 years, 2 months ago

Wow the truth hurt that bad, I can do this all night long. Ill return the favor :)

mommyoffour 5 years, 2 months ago

mommyoffour 5 years, 2 months ago

consumer1 5 years, 2 months ago

hoop, I am the furthest thing from politically correct, but I do have respect for human decency.

5 years, 2 months ago

That explains the cops walking around the parking lot earlier. Man, I live a block from there and don't always lock my doors. head in the sand, head in the sand

jesuslovingmomX9 5 years, 2 months ago

I have a black friend that is a very snappy dresser. She will tell you all about god and then listen to the foulmouth hip hops. But why is Arumerzwartehoop so stupid? His mom is probably a hoochie Obamamama. And farthermore, I'm not PC, I'm Mac.

mommyoffour 5 years, 2 months ago

ArumerZwarteHoop 5 years, 2 months ago

Nothing gets folks more riled up than articulating a simple truth their PC minds willfully refuse to acknowledge.

woodenfleaeater 5 years, 2 months ago

itsjustlindsay says.... No I don't have the police report or anything, I was there when it happened. But I believe it was on the same night as the Pizza Shuttle robbery. If people aren't careful there won't be more deliveries!!

You were there when the robbery happened? Do we have a possible suspect here?

Curtis Lange 5 years, 2 months ago

itsjustlindsay: The story about the Pizza Shuttle and Pizza Hut driver was up this morning. There WAS a second Pizza Hut driver that was robbed earlier in the week in the same area that I believe went w/o a story though.

webmocker 5 years, 2 months ago

Wow. Some individuals are profoundly annoying. But I have to assume that is their goal.

mommyoffour 5 years, 2 months ago

ArumerZwarteHoop 5 years, 2 months ago

That seems to be the case when the media refuses to describe the criminal. I could be wrong.

cthulhu_4_president 5 years, 2 months ago

I realize now that I shouldn't have jumped to conclusions about Hoop's intelligence with my last post. "Special needs" is a much better PC term for him.

consumer1 5 years, 2 months ago

hoops ! totally harsh, and un-called for. WOW!! If you are implying he was an african american/black man WOW Again...

cthulhu_4_president 5 years, 2 months ago

lucky7brand 5 years, 2 months ago

......hoops that sounds like a very racist comment. could you clarify? "Obama-american." i take that as you saying an african american did the crime.

lucky7brand 5 years, 2 months ago

it doesn't look like to me the police want to find the guy. Come on ...a lady got her purse taken....strong armed...looking in this area...

No description what so ever of the suspect listed in this article. Were there witnesses? What about the woman? was she okay? was she young or old? No mention of how much money was taken. Credit card, etc. If there were credit cards or checks the public should know this in case the suspect were to try to use them. Local businesses could watch for someone using them.
WTF? either the LPD is slacking or LJW.

itsjustlindsay 5 years, 2 months ago

ArumerZwarteHoop 5 years, 2 months ago

consumer1 5 years, 2 months ago

The theif is around 6'7" with a full beard, wearing a perrywinkle chiffon dress with matching heels. He should be easy to find the purse was red with yellow stripes. There is no accounting for the bad taste of this criminal. But, lets not judge him for his poor taste, maybe he is new to this way of life.although, he may still be difficult to find in Lawrence.

alm77 5 years, 2 months ago

lindsey, they reported the Pizza Shuttle robbery. Maybe the Hut is trying to keep it under wraps? Do you have a link to the police statement/report?

itsjustlindsay 5 years, 2 months ago

I like how they mention that a lady got her purse snatched but the LJW has yet to mention the two 23rd st Pizza Hut delivery drivers who've been robbed within the last week. The first driver was held at gunpoint with a shotgun and told to hand over the money bag and his cell phone and had his car cleaned out for valueables. Way to go LJW!

countrygirl 5 years, 2 months ago

So did the robbery take place at Dillon's? The story isn't very clear about that.

woodenfleaeater 5 years, 2 months ago

Man running around carrying a purse.

The prime suspect is..........Jamelle Holieway

Jeteras 5 years, 2 months ago

LOL Sig, amen to that,, everyone at 9th and New Hampshire is suspect..

Sigmund 5 years, 2 months ago

woodenfleaeater (Anonymous) says… "A description of the suspect would be nice. Male running around carrying a purse. I guess that could be a start."

In Lawrence that really isn't as helpful as you might think.

woodenfleaeater 5 years, 2 months ago

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 2 months ago

Maybe he set the fire as a diversion. Was she carrying a pizza?