Archive for Friday, December 25, 2009

No zeros on All-’00s team

Check out our picks, submit your own via E-mail

Kansas guard Sherron Collins pumps up the crowd after a dunk by teammate Cole Aldrich during the second half Saturday, Jan. 3, 2009 at Allen Fieldhouse.

December 25, 2009

First team

• Point Guard — Sherron Collins

Will finish career as a top-10, maybe top-five scorer in KU history, and top-six assist man.

• Shooting Guard — Kirk Hinrich

First-round NBA draft pick who ranks ninth in KU career scoring, fourth in assists and sixth in steals. His jersey hangs in Allen Fieldhouse rafters.

• Small Forward — Brandon Rush

First-round NBA draft pick ranks 20th in KU career scoring and was a lockdown defender on KU’s 2008 national title team. He led KU in scoring in each of his three seasons at KU.

• Power Forward — Wayne Simien

First-round NBA draft pick ranks 12th in KU career scoring and seventh in rebounds. Consensus first-team All-American will be next Jayhawk to have his jersey hung in fieldhouse rafters.

• Center/Forward — Nick Collison

First-round NBA draft pick who ranks second in KU career scoring and blocked shots and third in rebounding. His jersey also hangs in the rafters.

Second team

• Point Guard — Aaron Miles

KU’s all-time assist leader ranks third in all-time steals. Ranks 34th on KU’s all-time scoring list.

• Shooting Guard — Mario Chalmers

Second-round NBA draft pick/Miami Heat starter ranks 24th in KU career scoring, second in steals and 11th in assists. Hit the shot heard round the world that forced overtime in the ‘08 title game against Memphis.

• Small Forward — Keith Langford

KU’s sixth-leading scorer of all time.

• Power Forward — Drew Gooden

First-round NBA draft pick who ranks 16th in KU career scoring and rebounding. His jersey hangs in the fieldhouse rafters.

• Center/Forward — Cole Aldrich

Second all-time in single-season blocked shots (94) last season and this year could break Greg Ostertag’s all-time mark of 97. Also is fourth in rebounds in a single season. Like Collins is trying to claim second national title in three years and will be first-round NBA draft pick.

Third team

• Point Guard — Russell Robinson

Seventh all-time at KU in assists and started for national title team.

• Shooting Guard — Jeff Boschee

Jersey No. 13 is KU’s 13th all-time leading scorer and first in three-pointers made in school history.

• Small Forward — Kenny Gregory

Highlight-reel dunker is KU’s 14th-leading scorer of all time.

• Power Forward — Julian Wright

First-round NBA draft pick who was fan favorite at KU for two seasons.

• Center/Forward — Darrell Arthur

First-round NBA draft pick was one of the heroes of 2008 title game.

Honorable mention — Xavier Henry

Looking mighty good through 11 games of his career and is lock to be first-round NBA draft pick.

All-dunk team

Keith Langford

Kenny Gregory

J.R. Giddens

Julian Wright

Drew Gooden

Coach of the decade

Bill Self

It’s all about national titles and he has the ring, not to mention five straight Big 12 crowns.

All walk-on team

Point Guard — C.J. Henry

Shooting Guard — Rodrick Stewart

Small Forward — Lester Earl

Power Forward — Jeff Graves

Center/Forward — Jeff Withey

Best home game

KU 90, Texas 87, Jan. 27, 2003 (The Nick Collison Game)

Best game

KU 75, Memphis 68, OT, April 7, 2008, San Antonio

Player of the decade

(Journal-World staff member picks)

Bill Mayer — Nick Collison

Jesse Newell — Nick Collison

Gary Bedore — Nick Collison

Eric Sorrentino — Sherron Collins

Andrew Baker — Wayne Simien

Matt Tait — Kirk Hinrich

Chris Cottrell — Nick Collison

Chuck Woodling — Nick Collison

Tom Keegan — Wayne Simien

Kevin Romary — Nick Collison

Andrew Hartsock — Nick Collison

Best in-game fieldhouse video piece

Tie: The Wrath of (Sasha) Kaun

Chris Farley’s “That Was Awesome!” after amazing plays

Grandpa Simpson’s Take on the State of ‘Missourah’

Honorable Mention: Dancing Nachos

Top fieldhouse celebrity sighting

Tie: Ashley Judd, George Brett

Comments

Hydra 4 years, 3 months ago

They should also have a favorite player category.

That would be Richard Scott. The worlds worst free throw shooter. But always on his knees waiting to go back in while chewing on his towel!

sadistnations 4 years, 3 months ago

why do nigggers have pubic hair and big monkey lips?why do nigggers have pubic hair and big monkey lips?why do nigggers have pubic hair and big monkey lips?why do nigggers have pubic hair and big monkey lips?why do nigggers have pubic hair and big monkey lips?why do nigggers have pubic hair and big monkey lips?why do nigggers have pubic hair and big monkey lips?why do nigggers have pubic hair and big monkey lips?v

sadistnations 4 years, 3 months ago

why do nigggers have pubic hair and big monkey lips?

sadistnations 4 years, 3 months ago

remember when a btard from 4chan was gonna blow up football games. lol epic win

ryanfox 4 years, 3 months ago

Maybe I get too nostalgic around Christmas-time, but I seem to remember Kirk Hinrich playing as close to perfectly as any human could. He could shoot 1/12 and still impact a game immensely.

I love Wayne Simien, but if I want to win I'm putting Drew Gooden in my starting lineup. Here's what I'd do:

PG - Mario Chalmers SG - Kirk Hinrich SF - Brandon Rush (Xavier Henry?) PF - Drew Gooden C - Nick Collison

sadistnations 4 years, 3 months ago

sports is for boring people with nothing but sports.

jumpin_catfish 4 years, 3 months ago

Ok Roy haters, you were in love with the guy when he was here and he had a great run and some great teams. He just couldn't win the big one and if he had and than pulled out folks would have had a different option of him. With that said, Bill Self is soooo much better coach and I'm very glad he's here.

bubleemin 4 years, 3 months ago

Glad I don't bank at your work, mr. misterlee.. good picks LJW..good picks.. sure everyone could change one or two..in all..good picks!!

Jeff Kilgore 4 years, 3 months ago

Best home game? The final home game of 2008, The Year, a complete 40-minute game against Texas Tech. I was there and yet I still don't believe what I saw.

Jeff Kilgore 4 years, 3 months ago

Switch Mario and Kirk. That's a no brainer.

2002 4 years, 3 months ago

I'm with truth. Mario over Kirk. I love Kirk, but Mario is special.

I'm also with Mosshawk. Brandon could lock down.

Truth 4 years, 3 months ago

First team cry baby coach: Roy Williams.

jartiv 4 years, 3 months ago

Only change I would make is to put Chalmers over Sherron. Sherron would be my 6th man

Truth 4 years, 3 months ago

Mario Chalmers hit the shot. Kirk Heinrich did not. Chalmers over Heinrich.

mosshawk 4 years, 3 months ago

Brandon Rush is not on the all defense team?!!! Give me a break!!! he's probably one of the best defenders in KU history not just the decade!!!

Bill Lee 4 years, 3 months ago

Being snowed in on Christmas morning made me a little cranky. Sorry. Have a merry one and let's look forward to the next decade of KU basketball.

Rusty Thomas 4 years, 3 months ago

What a great list! Not only are/were these guys great players on the court, they are also great representatives for Kansas University off the court. Now, that's great recruiting. Rock Chalk, Coach Self!

rgh 4 years, 3 months ago

My wife works for a computer programming company and 1999 was the "fear year" for the end of the 20th century not 2000. I'm glad you're not my banker, but hey it's Christmas time so Merry Christmas (really).

It's nice to sit back and read the list of names. The Journal could have come up with and Honorable Mention Team that would knock the socks off other teams just as easy. I wonder what kinds of names they printed in Manhattan or Columbia? Sure they've had a few, but just at this list. Wow!

seth5792 4 years, 3 months ago

Look at that list............I would find it hard to believe for any other school to be able to throw up a roster like that. Consistent quality recruiting and development by Coach Self. We Kansas fans are spoiled, by having the good fortune to be a part of a great run over the last ten years. Rock Chalk

Alabamastreet 4 years, 3 months ago

Ok, so nice technical point. Let me ask you this: If you are tuning into a radio station featuring songs from the 80's, does a song from 1990 get played on that station? When people refer to 60's-era activism or the Roaring '20s, do they include 1970 or 1930?

I think you know the answer. Merry Christmas, and relax a little. It is the Sports section. And for heaven's sake, please don't go proof the comics and post your corrections.

misterlee (Anonymous) says…

The decade ends next year, not this, so why the premature list? Most of us begin counting with one, so the OO's started in 2001, not 2000. The 21st Century began in 2001, not 2000. The first year A.D. was 1, not 0. I'm glad you guys don't work at my bank.

Bill Lee 4 years, 3 months ago