Fire crews were called Thursday afternoon to a home in the Prairie Park neighborhood after a family noticed smoke coming from one of the home’s electrical outlets.
Residents in the 2900 block of Whitmore Drive fled the home and called 911.
“When the crews arrived there was smoke showing from the building,” said Rob Kort, a division chief for Lawrence-Douglas County Fire Medical. “Some siding had fire out on the deck, and it appears to have been electrical in nature.”
The fire, which was contained to a small area of the home, was extinguished shortly after crews arrived, and the family was able to return to the home for the remainder of the night.
Kort said the family’s quick reaction made a difference.
“If they hadn’t had been home then it would have been a whole different story,” Kort said. “We did have a good outcome, they were there, they smelled the smoke, they called us and they got out of the residence.”
No one was injured in the fire.