Kansas University Hospital reopened a newly renovated outpatient dialysis center this week.
The renovated space, at 4720 Rainbow Blvd., incorporates the same floorplan as before with 28 chairs and two nursing stations. Improvements include:
• 17 new dialysis machines with upgraded safety features, such as alarm systems to monitor blood pressure.
• More comfortable patient chairs with heating elements.
• Twenty-six flat-screen TVs attached to chair arms.
• New flooring and cabinetry that help create a more soothing patient environment.
• Safety balusters outside the building to provide enhanced safety for the facility.
Last year, a sport utility vehicle slammed into the center. The SUV ended up inside the main treatment area where 12 patients were receiving dialysis and eight staff members were working, smashing a nursing station and equipment along the way. There was only a minor injury in the incident.
The dialysis center was relocated to an empty nursing unit while the renovation took place.