Archive for Monday, September 15, 2008

KU student reports sexual assault in residence hall

KU police are investigating a sexual assault at a campus residence hall.

September 15, 2008, 1:09 p.m. Updated September 15, 2008, 8:03 p.m.

A Kansas University student woke up to a male sexually assaulting her in a campus residence hall room Sunday morning, a KU Public Safety Office report said.

The suspect entered the 18-year-old woman's unsecured room between 6:15 a.m. and 6:30 a.m. at Oliver Hall, got into bed next to her and touched her inappropriately, the report said. The girl woke up, screamed and told the suspect to get out of her room, police said, and the suspect fled the scene. The crime was reported to police after 7 a.m.

A friend of the victim was also asleep in the room, police said.

Capt. Schuyler Bailey, KU Public Safety Office spokesman, said the suspect was identified and interviewed, but he hasn't been arrested. The victim said she did not know the suspect but that he lived in the residence hall.

Oliver Hall, 1815 Naismith Drive, is a co-ed residence hall, which houses 650 men and women in two-person rooms. Men and women are divided in separate wings.

Comments

Sheila Hooper White 6 years, 3 months ago

It doesn't matter were you are , always lock your door :)

Ragingbear 6 years, 3 months ago

First of all, yes. Lock your doors. Nothing is secure. Secondly, just because the girl is passed out and unable to say "NO" it does not mean "yes". The courts agree. NO is the default in any case. And despite what some guys try to tell you, NO being said at any time means NO. A woman has the right to change her mind at any time, not just at the start.

triplegoddess13 6 years, 3 months ago

Nikki May 6 years, 3 months ago

I lived in a coed dorm and we locked the doors, so things like that didn't happen. There is nothing wrong with co-ed dorms.

triplegoddess13 6 years, 3 months ago

Not when you take 21-23 hours a semester and work on campus. It's easier to stay closer to classes and it's cheaper.

Jason Bailey 6 years, 3 months ago

I lived in Oliver for a year....this monkey business happens all the time and is the buy-product of co-ed living. You have 18 yr-old guys running around a building where only a few floors above you there are 18 yr-old girls.I could tell you stories that'd make Hugh Hefner blush. At that time, Oliver was the Playboy mansion on campus. Wanna see girls in the buff? Just take a trip to the 8th floor and you're certain to see a few walk from the shower room to their dorm room. And of course the guys were more than happy to strut around on their floors when girls were down visiting a friend.Bottom line: Co-ed living on a college campus is a recipe for bad things to happen. Apartments aren't as problematic because the "hotel setup" in the dorms encourages people to act differently.

John Hamm 6 years, 3 months ago

Somebody needs to tell these students that even though, or especially because of, this is Lawrence, KS they need to lock them doors.

n8n2010 6 years, 3 months ago

When you're three sheets to the wind and it's still dark out all of those dorms look alike. Maybe the dude thought he was in his girlfriend's room, but wasn't...............Yeah right!

davidsmom 6 years, 3 months ago

I lived in a co-ed dorm for the 1974-75 school year. The males and females were not separated by floors but by wings (or halls). We had a central common area (like a living room) and our bathroom happened to be close to the common area, so the guys would use it. I had to be sure I was in my robe before getting out of the shower because guys might be in our bathroom. I don't remember if we locked the doors or not. When guys see you without makeup or with mud all over your face, they start thinking of you like sisters. I don't remember there being any problems, but maybe I was just not aware of any, or maybe my memory is fading.

Calliope877 6 years, 3 months ago

Ralph Reed (Ralph Reed) says:"I'm me. Who are you behind your hood of anonymity?"1) Noone gives a fart in the wind who you are.2) People have the right to be anonymous on this board as you do to not be.

Alison Roberts 6 years, 3 months ago

How could you not feel that? Lock your effing doors people... jeez!

jhawks1234 6 years, 3 months ago

"I lived in a co-ed dorm for three years in college"Don't people usually move out of the dorms after the first year or the second year at the latest?

Ralph Reed 6 years, 3 months ago

triplegoddess13 (Anonymous) writes: "Does anyone know what sarcasm is? That would be the part in my comment about the rumors being started before it's time. For Goddess's sake people, stop being so literal!"**TG13, when looking at the sarcasm I see nothing wrong in your statement. In fact, it describes a lot of the discussion that goes on here. I jumped on it because there have been times when within an hour or so of a fatal car wreck people had one of the drivers drunk and the other asleep at the wheel; this in addition to casting dispersions on their (both of them) genetic heritage.Not knowing how you post, or your sense of humor I jumped.Sorry. I'll be more careful next time.**I'm me. Who are you behind your hood of anonymity?

missmagoo 6 years, 3 months ago

i could swear when i read this article yesterday it said that the victim and the suspect were 'acquaintances.'

Ralph Reed 6 years, 3 months ago

triplegoddess13 (Anonymous) writes: "Didn't read anything in the article that said she was passed out there Ragingbear. 'Sleeping' is not the same as 'passed out'. Nor did it say that he was an invited guest that stared to get a little un-invited. Let's not start any rumors that could be detramental to the poor girl before it's time to."**I agree, except for the rumor part. Why do we need to start rumors about the girl at all?**I'm me. Who are you behind your hood of anonymity?

geniusmannumber1 6 years, 3 months ago

Apparently, Jason had never seen a naked girl before college....

lazz 6 years, 3 months ago

"Let's not start any rumors that could be detramental to the poor girl before it's time to."utterly classic. pretty much sums up the entire news-story commentary function here at ljworld.com ...

triplegoddess13 6 years, 3 months ago

Does anyone know what sarcasm is? That would be the part in my comment about the rumors being started before it's time. For Goddess's sake people, stop being so literal! For the record, I lived in a co-ed dorm for three years in college and never had any problems with anyone running around naked on the floors unless they felt froggy enough to do so. And no, people of the opposite sex did not have to have an escort to be on the other floors. There is nothing wrong with co-ed living. It's called lock your doors and be aware of those around you.

Confrontation 6 years, 3 months ago

"this monkey business happens"Glad to see that someone thinks sexual assault is monkey business. Judge Paula Martin would be proud of you.I see no problem with co-ed dorms. However, having unlocked shower rooms/bathrooms is an easy invitation for sexual predators (and everyone knows that these perverts start early).