Archive for Friday, October 10, 2008

Robinson orally commits to KU

October 10, 2008, 9:36 a.m. Updated October 10, 2008, 10:42 a.m.

Thomas Robinson has orally committed to play basketball at Kansas University.

Robinson, a 6-foot-8, 210-pound forward from Brewster Academy in Wolfeboro, N.H., and Rivals.com's No. 18-rated player in the country, said Friday morning he had chosen Bill Self's Jayhawks over runner-up Memphis.

"I'm excited. I felt like it was home for me, all the special players there," said Robinson, who visited KU Sept. 19-20, and Memphis two weeks later.

Robinson, who said he "fell in love" with KU on his campus visit, had a heart-to-heart talk with his mom, Lisa, on the phone Thursday night.

He informed Self of the decision after that phone call.

"He was excited, happy, amazed what he saw there," Lisa said of her son's opinion of KU. "I had him make the trip to Memphis to get a second opinion. He really felt he wanted to attend Kansas so last night we said, 'For peace of mind, let's get it over with.' He's happy so I am happy."

You better believe rebounding machine Robinson is happy.

"I just really felt comfortable there," Robinson said. "Since my visit my mother and I have been talking for a while. I thought it was the best place for me to be a player and student, also. After we talked I spoke with coach Self. He was excited. He was happy to get it over with, too, and said, 'Just get started for the upcoming season.'''

Robinson played his junior season at Riverdale Baptist High in Upper Marlboro, Md.

"I hope to bring energy and hard work on defense, rebounding," said Robinson, known as one of the best rebounders in the Class of 2009. "I work hard and do what it takes to win. Kansas has had so many great players in the past and I'm really excited to go to a school like that."

He said he first started paying attention to KU three years ago.

"I started to follow them when Brandon (Rush) was a sophomore," he said. "I watched him a lot on TV. He's really a good player and I always knew they had a great players and coaches. I'm happy with my decision."

Robinson will sign a letter of intent during the November signing period.

Comments

c_dubya 6 years, 2 months ago

I think I would have titled this 'Robinson verbally commits to KU'An oral commitment just sounds... wrong to me.Also, these things mean practically nothing in the world of college sports as players routinely bail on their word. Get it in writing or don't bother.

EarthaKitt 6 years, 2 months ago

Surely communicating your decision orally violates NCAA recruiting restrictions. I mean, jeez. They can't even take him out for dinner and a movie first...

Buggie7 6 years, 2 months ago

I agree with your whole statement C_dubya. The first part was just wrong and we have had too many bail cause it wasnt in writing.

budwhysir 6 years, 2 months ago

this sounds like a very large foul to me

Kelly Anderson 6 years, 2 months ago

This whole conversation above made me giggle. Thanks, I needed that today!!!

Confrontation 6 years, 2 months ago

I forgot that you have to act like a child to have a sense of humor. Silly me.

TopJayhawk 6 years, 2 months ago

I also want an oral commitment. If only for a few minutes.

Kelly Anderson 6 years, 2 months ago

uh oh, looks like someone doesn't have a sense of ANY KIND of humor!!!! and yes, I do have a junior high sense of humor and wouldn't change it for the world, keeps me in touch with my kids.......SCARY HUH!

Confrontation 6 years, 2 months ago

I'm sure "orally" sounds wrong if you're a junior high student. The adults can handle it without freaking out.