Archive for Saturday, November 29, 2008

1 dead, 4 injured in south Lawrence car wreck

A 19-year-old man was killed in an early morning car accident on the 2500 block of Ousdahl Road. Police withheld the name of the victim, who is believed to be a Lawrence resident, until his family is notified. Two female passengers suffered life-threatening injuries, and were transported by air ambulance to Kansas University Hospital. Two other passengers suffered less severe injuries, and were taken to Lawrence Memorial Hospital, said Lawrence-Douglas County Fire & Medical Battalion Chief Joe Hoelscher.

November 29, 2008, 2:31 a.m. Updated November 29, 2008, 12:55 p.m.

Four other passengers, all from Lawrence, were injured. A 16-year-old girl and 17-year-old girl suffered life-threatening injuries, and were transported by air ambulance to Kansas University Hospital. Two other passengers, a 20-year-old man and a 16-year-old girl, suffered less severe injuries, and were taken to Lawrence Memorial Hospital, said Lawrence-Douglas County Fire & Medical Battalion Chief Joe Hoelscher.

The single-vehicle accident occurred at about 2:10 Saturday morning at the intersection of 25th Terrace and Ousdahl Road, a residential area. The car, a 1984 Chevrolet, was heading southbound on Oushdahl Road when it went off the east side of the road and slammed into a tree in front of a home. The driver was pronounced dead at the scene. Lawrence Police Sgt. Susan Hadl said a passer-by extricated the injured passengers.

Comments

reason 6 years, 7 months ago

so sad--sorry to the friends and family of the victim

triplegoddess13 6 years, 7 months ago

buckethead 6 years, 7 months ago

extrication is dangerous when done improperly. though done with good intent the passer-by put themself as well as the victims at risk for serious injury. kansas has the good samaritan law which protects dogooders from liabilty issues that may occur while assisting emergency situations. but unless in immediate danger i agree with you triple, extrication should be left to the pros.

knowthestory 6 years, 7 months ago

It's really sad when people don't know the whole story but still seem to be able to be experts on a terrible situation. Triplegoddess13- What would you do if you were a family member that saw the accident happen? Would you wait and let paramedics get there? Could you wait to do that?You have to know what happened before you criticize a high adrenalin situation. What would you do if your family members were in this accident and nobody would stop to help even though you were trying to wave people down? Could you wait the minutes it takes (which in a panic situation seems like forever) for the paramedics to arrive? Even though your family was crying for help? Everybody needs to think about that before being a critic on how to handle emergent situations. We all know that you don't move someone in a trauma situation but could we sit by and wait if this situation happened with our loved ones or personal friends? With family every logical thought process goes out the window if their lives are threatened/injured. It is much easier to be an outsider and remember these situations than be a family member.

knowthestory 6 years, 7 months ago

I am educated in trauma situations and work with people in high crisis situations. I do hope that anybody in this situation could take your advice and sit back and wait. But we must be practical and realize every situation is different. Nobody can say what they would do until they have walked in their shoes. It's like being the perfect parent before you have kids.

Steve Jacob 6 years, 7 months ago

And we all know they always error on the side of caution and air-life anyone with a head injury in Lawrence, so maybe they seemed fine when the passer-by pulled them out.I know someone who got air-life a couple of years ago and left the hospital the next day. We just don't know. I am very sorry for the family of the driver, and hope the others are fine in the end.

Fort_Aubrey 6 years, 7 months ago

next time I am in an accident, I am going to open my laptop and come here, cause there are experts on anything and everything.

KansasPerson 6 years, 7 months ago

LOL at Fort_Aubrey, but in spite of that --knowthestory, this is exactly why it's good to know the objective facts. If I know firmly that it's not a good idea for me, a non-professional, to attempt extrication, then that thought in my head should pop up even if I'm in an emotional situation.Fortunately that thought is pretty firmly place in my head, so much so that even if it were one of my friends or family in the car, I feel confident that I'd be even more worried about moving them than not moving them.If you know what can happen as a result of your experience, that should be enough to keep you from trying to extricate a stranger, much less a loved one.Keep calm, keep THEM calm, call 911 and don't attempt to extricate.

SMe 6 years, 7 months ago

Knowthestory YES! Wait for professional help unless there's immediate danger such as fire.I tried to talk a driver out of removing his female passenger from an overturned vehicle but he wouldn't listen - she died on the way to the hospital.

KansasPerson 6 years, 7 months ago

Knowthestory,In other words (after having re-read your posts) -- No one on here is claiming they know what someone would WANT to do, or what they would FEEL like doing.They are saying "This is what you SHOULD do in spite of your emotions."If you're educated in this, you probably know this already, but I thought I'd mention it.And no one is saying that they're perfect or an expert. Actually they seem to be saying the opposite --we wouldn't know how to do it, so please leave it to the people who ARE experts.

Chris Ogle 6 years, 7 months ago

I was involved in an accident where the air-bags deployed. When the airbags deploy, smoke fills up the vehicle, making you think something is on fire. It is a very scary feeling being in a car filled with smoke. I was out of the car in seconds.

ksmax 6 years, 7 months ago

That is for sure Fort_Aubrey, what amazes me is that when something tragic like this happens that everyone picks apart the situation...ultimately a young life was cut short and it is a very sad situation.

Deja Coffin 6 years, 7 months ago

My thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends for all those involved. I only hope that the other 4 people will have a quick and full recovery. So sad.

onlymee 6 years, 7 months ago

i cant get the video to come up, can anyone tell me what kind of car was involved, my friends son lives near there? thanks

greenworld 6 years, 7 months ago

As a voluteer firefighter in Jefferson County and working hundreds of rollovers on the well known dangerous wellman Rd I can definately state to leave people in vehicle that are trapped or cant get out unless there is fire. THere are to many reasons to go into on why we want it this way. But just to name a few, 1) The welfare of the person could definately be at risk if moved incorrectly, 2) if vehicle has rolled or on it's side we insert stabilizing blocks under the car so it doesnt shift or moved furthermore. This prevents further risk of person from possibly getting crushed or firefighter from sustaining injury. As a rule of thumb most people that can get out of the car are usually already out on about every call I run. And most deceased are dead on arrival. But your code red or delicate patients have to be extracted from the vehicle and handled with care and there is a process usually involved with lifeflight. I am no expert but we do train on this monthly and have worked many fatalities as well as critical situations. So the ones on there saying to never move them until trained professionals get on scene are correct. If you have any furthermore questions on this feel free to contact your local fire department.

Deja Coffin 6 years, 7 months ago

Thank you for all the hard work you do greenworld! Although, thankfully I've never came upon a bad wreck, it is always nice to be reminded of why it's so important to do what is best for the injuried person. Hopefully the person that did get the injuried people out of the car saw a reason to do it and did what they believed to be what was best for the passengers. It takes courage just to even help in a crisis situation like that.

knowthestory 6 years, 7 months ago

KSMAX-said it right. Which was my point in the whole situation!!You can't pick a part a situation. This was a horrible accident!!.You never know what you will do in a situation so why criticize it? Do I blame him for what he did? Absolutely not!!! Would I have acted differently, I don't know!! Even with my experience I won't admit that I would do differently as I have not been in his shoes. He acted the best he knew the fastest he knew to get them to safety. Shoulda coulda woulda.WHO CARES right now!! It's over, it's done. Just feel for the family and bystander in this time. I want each and everyone of you to think about what you say. The person who pulled his family out of the car may read your rude unthoughtful comments in his time of need and feel that he has done something wrong. Save it for later. Not less than an hour after the incident occurred. Jeez Louise!! Consideration is the optimal word here.As a mother, father, sister, brother it is hard to say that you will remember everything you have learned in life and perform it by the book. That is the view I would like to take. Not as a professional coming on a situation and not having personal ties.Ideal vs. reality are two totally different things.Quit criticizing the situation and just have some empathy. I am so done with this conversation!!

Judgesmails 6 years, 7 months ago

triplegoddess13 (Anonymous) says… Don't extricate injured people from accidents unless the vehicle is on fire. More often than not you cause more harm than good. These people could have had less serious injuries before they were moved._____jesus, what a moron.im sure the ems appreciates the "expert" advice

Tony Holladay 6 years, 7 months ago

Judgesmails (Anonymous) says…triplegoddess13 (Anonymous) says…Don't extricate injured people from accidents unless the vehicle is on fire. More often than not you cause more harm than good. These people could have had less serious injuries before they were moved._____jesus, what a moron.im sure the ems appreciates the “expert” advice---------------------I don't think they were posting that for EMS. I just hope that people like you don't come to the rescue if I'm ever hurt in an accident.

akt2 6 years, 7 months ago

One time my mother and sister were in a rollover accident. I got a phone call from a complete stranger. She told me that they had been in an accident and she held my mother's hand till the medics arrived. She told me that my mom asked her to call me. This happened in Overland Park and I lived in Lawrence. The caller told me that my sister was in one ambulance and my mom was in another one. The caller told me which hospital they were taking them to. I was able to call the hospital and hit the road before the ambulances got there. I never did know who the kind soul was that called me.

knowthestory 6 years, 7 months ago

THANK YOU PYWACKET!!! For so eloquently expressing how I feel. I hope the others can now understand.

objectivethinker 6 years, 7 months ago

Just suppose that the passerby was the brother of two of the young women in the accident. Just suppose that he not only saw the accident but had to react because he heard his sisters screaming for help. Just suppose he was worried that the car would burst into flames and that he may lose his two sisters.... forever and had to do something now..... Just suppose that right now there is a mother who is needing to be in two different places right now because she has two daughters in two different hospitals. Just suppose that there are 4 families right now in total despair. The expert bloggers here will forget this in a few weeks. The families of this tragedy will never

greenworld 6 years, 7 months ago

"Police are investigating the cause of the accident. Hadl said speed, alcohol and a wet roadway could be to blame, but said the investigation would continue." I hate to say it but so many lives lost due to things that are under their own control. I dont want to do any finger pointing or draw to conclusions but if you eliminate the first two things speed and alcohol I think there may have been a different outcome and probably may not even of happened. Being it looks like all of these injured and deceased were minors I would hate to be the person that bought them the alcohol. This is a definate reminder to slow down and drive safe. A cop told me that once when I got pulled over for speeding.

radicool12 6 years, 7 months ago

i know the young man who was killed he was a good friend of mine and my condelences go out to his family he was just a young man i do not know the other people in the car i hope they are all ok

bearded_gnome 6 years, 7 months ago

God grant a good recovery to the seriously injured girls who's lives are forever changed now. I hope they don't have perminent disabilities. and God help and comfort the family of the 25-year-old driver. good reminder to slow down, especially when road surface is slick. if you move trapped passengers you very well can do much more harm. but it is indeed so hard to know in real time whether the vehicle is about to explode/flame up. I hope that Knowthestory's comments don't encourage future accident observers to move passengers without cause, as their own lives can be at risk then too.

radicool12 6 years, 7 months ago

beared knome the driver was not 25 he was 19

krystalk 6 years, 7 months ago

If you are going to be commenting on here you should be talking about the victims, not your lack of knowledge. I get on here to read about a dear friend of mine who dies and I see all of this arguing over nothing. People are suffering a loss and all you people can do is argue over what to do with the people in the car. It doesn't matter how it happened or what the cause of it was, what matters is that a life was lost and more are seriously injured. How bout we stick to the topic and send out are love to the family and friends of the victims. Quit thinking about yourselves.

Thinking_Out_Loud 6 years, 7 months ago

greenworld wrote "I hate to say it...", then demonstrated the wisdom in the old adage that if you have to preface your comment with a disclaimer like "I hate to say" or "I shouldn't say," then it's something you truly shouldn't say. (Or, in this case, write.)

Thinking_Out_Loud 6 years, 7 months ago

It's all about sensitivity to timing, red_devil. It's all about being sensitive to the timing.

hammysammy 6 years, 7 months ago

hmm, the news just said the driver was 25.

mom_of_three 6 years, 7 months ago

khrystalk,actually, this board is to comment on whatever the poster feels like. If they want to talk about what should have or may or may not have happened, then they can. If they want to express sympathy, then they can. If they don't, then you can't begrudge them. Don't know why relatives or friends don't realize they shouldn't read this necessarily hoping for sympathetic comments.

mom_of_three 6 years, 7 months ago

And yes, I have been in your situation, and still am, so I know what I am talking about. .

greenworld 6 years, 7 months ago

oh my God WTF- Thinking_out_loud, Someone just died and The only thing you can do is try and correct my grammer, this is terrible and you must apologize to me. Okay so I must correct myself then: I dont hate to say anything I must say that one's actions are a direct reflection of one's self. This all could have been prevented by removing a few common elements and using some common sense. I dont hate to say that.

sweetie 6 years, 7 months ago

Has anyone ever been in a situation as this? Yeah we all think we know whats best but until your actually in that situation, hearing your sister yell out for you to help her, or hearing one of your sisters best friends choking on blood trying to scream but cant, don't judge what someone else did. I just pray for them and their families!!

redheadeddevil77 6 years, 7 months ago

I cannot believe what I am reading on this page, I knew the driver, my son and him were really good friends, as well as i was close to him, I'm seeing all this bs and arguing over who done what and what should have been done when instead should be offering support and praying for all the children and there families that were involved and the condolences to the parents of the driver, I know how I feel as the "second" mom, I can only imagine what his mom and dad are going through right now. Unfortunately what has happened has happened, cannot turn back time, but what can be done is focus on now the present and support these families during this time. I'm not here to try to be an expert on anything, but I am here as a parent, and I know how I would be if that had been my son there. Please show some humanity and respect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jumpin_catfish 6 years, 7 months ago

I have been in this situation and it was decision that we made to remove a victim because we were not sure whether the car was going to catch fire (smell of gasoline and smoke from under the hood). I can't fault the passerby they were only doing what seemed right at the moment. Bottom line sad story for such young people.

littlegrace 6 years, 7 months ago

Kimberly Hatch 6 years, 7 months ago

I think the person that helped get the injured kids out of the car did a great job. He was trying to save lives before the car could have ingulfed in flames. He was looking out for his loved ones and it took a lot of bravery to do what he did. And as for Casey being drunk; i have been around Casey more times than most people and Casey was not always drunk. Casey was a great kid and always had a smile on his face. Casey would go out of his way to help anyone that needed help. My thoughts and prayers are with all the families involved and I pray these young girls have a speedy recovery. And as for the comment of him providing alcohol to minors Casey is a minor himself. He will be truly missed by all his friends. He was a great friend of my family.

tigerladie86 6 years, 7 months ago

I knew the driver of the chevy and wow i can't beleave this! He was a really great guy! He will be dearly missed, and i hope the other teens that were in the car are all ok

krystalk 6 years, 7 months ago

Alcohol or none, what you have to realize is that this is happening. Young kids, yes like Casey, who btw was a minor to therefore he was not the one providing it but yet getting it provided to (duh), are drinking more and more everyday. Drunk driving is not an adult thing and you just never realize how real this is until it happens to you. Like someone said what happened, happened. Who the FFFFF cares whether they pulled the kids out or not.? Seriously.... you can't change it. Casey was a really close friend and they were all probably drinking, but it really isn't the point. These kids are hurt and we are here arguing about how I wanted people to stop being dumb and show respect. If all you can do is argue about stupid things over a blog of these young kids who are dead, and dying then you are sick and you need to get a life. A young girl from this wreak is at KU med as we type fighting for her life when she will most likely never walk again anyway. She broke both her arms, both her legs, shattered her ribs, busted her pelvic bone, and so much more and all that matters is that someone pulled her out of the car. One being dead is a lot different than 5! Anything could have happened. That car could have blown up and then we'd be out 5 instead of 1. I am not here looking for sympathy from any of you. You'd just think America would have some class.

leeanzek 6 years, 7 months ago

Amen. Those of you who Knew Casey, please give his family someone to lean on, They are not taking this well. Pray for the other kids in this car and hope for a good outcome. Dont drink and drive!

krystalk 6 years, 7 months ago

You wanna sit here and talk on this blog when you don't even know what you are talking about. It is so pathetic. Someone said the driver was 25......... uhm there ya go my point is proven. Dont talk unless you know whats going on.

krystalk 6 years, 7 months ago

And "littlegrace" ...... The driver was a minor how was he providing to minors???????????????????????Therefore, someone would have to provided to him and the others... Maybe the 20 year old humm? Close enough to 21. Maybe has connections. Fake ID? Ever think of that? So, before you go blaming someone of providing alcohol to minors there is a little things called facts you need to get together. And one more thing, I have known Casey for, lets see, 5 years and never once have I ever seen him drunk. So no, he wasn't drunk all the time. And like "newwoman" said, Casey always had a smile on and wanted to help out.

buckethead 6 years, 7 months ago

the passer-by knew the victims? how tragic.

Jim Harris 6 years, 7 months ago

I have known him for almost 13 years. He was always a great kid to be around. I had no problems with him playing around with my kids. I was his baseball coach a few years ago. I do pray for his family and other close friends that have known him like I have. He is a great close friend my wife's brother, who is really taking this hard.

denak 6 years, 7 months ago

".....kansas has the good samaritan law which protects dogooders from liabilty issues that may occur while assisting emergency situations..."This is true up to a point. The Good Samaritan is exempt up to the point of his or her knowledge. If the Good Samaritan tries to do something that is not within his or her knowledge, then the Good Samaritan can be sued.If all you are trained to do is CPR, and you try to do something more, like giving someone a traciotomy(sp???), you can be held responsible.Dena

triplegoddess13 6 years, 7 months ago

My thoughts do go out to the family and I hope those involved recover. On a side note of the car blowing up-this isn't TV or the cinema. That car hit the tree head on and the gas tank is in the back. There is no way it would have or could have blown up. For those of you questioning if I would have pulled a friend or family member out, the answer is no. I know what kind of harm that can do and I would give them every chance I could for professional assistance.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 7 months ago

okay,if I'm trapped in a car after an accident, I hope you don't try to move me ... I have bones more brittle than most. that means you might just break my back unintentionally. krystalk,calm down. ya go my point is proven. Dont talk unless you know whats going on.the initial story had 25 years of age for the driver I believe. you know, articles do get updated. furthermore, your ranting and disclosing lots of information isn't helping anybody and may hurt some. I will also add that on stories like this in the past there have been people who put up totally false information regarding such incidents, using their anonymous screen names. you may be one. littlegrace was apparently headed that way, or not. those of us who have posted on here for a while read quick, signup on the day of, posters with a big grain of salt.
now, based on the article, which has been updated since I read it, I continue to pray for the two young women who are suffering very seriously, and their families. as well, the family of the driver who is now dead. life ends so suddenly, and we all come to that point with words unspoken of love and appreciation. people die without warning, and a huge hole is left to miss them in. I hope the driver is the only one to die from this. I hope that this accident might serve to prevent others.

Jim Phillips 6 years, 7 months ago

OK Pywacket, just what are your qualifications and experience in these matters? How many cars have you seen explode? Based on some of triplegoddess's other posts, I would not be surprised if she had some sort of medical or law enforcement background. I don't see that from yours.

triplegoddess13 6 years, 7 months ago

Pywacket-There was no indication that the car was on fire or would have caught fire. And I drive an old '88 Buick and that engine is still clean. It's called maintance.

bigtwink17 6 years, 7 months ago

i just want to say sorry. casey was a good friend and he was loved by a lot of people and he is going to be missed by a lot of people so all of you that knew casey keep your heads up and just remember him for all the good times that we all had together loved and from fat boy brain

monheim 6 years, 7 months ago

As to the age of the driver, go look at his memorial website. There's a picture on there dated 2002 (after you've sifted through all the confederate flags). If he were 19 when this happened, that'd put him at about 13 when the photo was taken...and he doesn't look 13 by any stretch in the picture. So I'm guessing he's probably older than 19.

iBANG 6 years, 7 months ago

all yall needed to say was i'm sorry and give your respects to the family.... all the xtra crap thats on here ya'll should be ashamed of yourselves. love and respect to those in these trying times.

denea_16 6 years, 7 months ago

Just so everyone is clear the Casey was only 19 years old!! He has been one of my best friends for about 2 years now! He was an amazing person. He made one bad choice. Everyone makes mistakes, but from what i can gather from y'all is y'all are perfect right? You guys have never done something you regret? This is a hard time for all of the friends and familys. Please keep them in mind while your living your sin free lives!!!!!!!!!!!

denea_16 6 years, 7 months ago

And about the rebel flags, that is what Casey believed in. The Confederate flags is a southern pride thing. The confederate flag was also Texas's first state flag! Its not all about race!!

hurtandupset 6 years, 7 months ago

ilove you casey ill miss you so muchR.I.P casey