Archive for Friday, March 14, 2008

Last Call shooter pleads guilty

March 14, 2008

Last Call shooter pleads guilty

One month after a shooting injured three people outside a downtown nightclub, a 26-year-old man admits he pulled the trigger. Enlarge video

The man who shot three people last month outside a Lawrence nightclub pleaded guilty Thursday, and then apologized to his victims.

"I got into a fight. I left the club mad : . People got hurt. I apologize for that," Carlos Jackson told Douglas County District Court Judge Paula Martin.

Jackson, 26, of Topeka, will be sentenced April 11 on three counts of reckless aggravated battery under a plea agreement reached with the Douglas County District Attorney's office. He faces a possible sentence of 10 years in prison. The initial charges were more serious - three counts of intentional aggravated battery. But if convicted on those charges, it would have meant an additional 20 months in prison.

Jackson wanted to take responsibility for his actions and decided nothing would be gained by having the case go to trial, his attorney, Jason Billam, said after the hearing.

District Attorney Charles Branson said he was satisfied any time someone can be convicted on three felonies. He noted that if the case had gone to trial, a jury would have had the option of finding Jackson guilty of reckless aggravated battery.

"I think we've had a pretty good day in the courtroom," Branson said.

Prosecutors had a video of the shooting that took place at 3 a.m. on Feb. 10 outside Last Call, 729 N.H. It shows a man coming out of the club, pulling out a cell phone and then firing a handgun. Branson wouldn't provide the source of the video.

Jackson said he didn't intend to shoot anyone.

Wounded in the shooting were two club bouncers and a 15-year-old boy who had been in the club. The bouncers, Brooks Weber, 28, of Overland Park, and Bryan Canady, 22, of Kansas City, Mo., were in the courtroom watching the hearing. Both said after the hearing that they would like to see Jackson serve more than 10 years, but added that they were OK with the outcome.

"He'll miss the next decade, and I'll be having a good time," Weber said.

"He did the smart thing," Canady said of the plea.

Lawrence police publicly identified Jackson as the suspect three days after the shooting. He was arrested Feb. 15 at the home of relatives in Hopkinsville, Ky. Since returning to Douglas County, he has remained in jail on $450,000 bond. After he pleaded guilty, Martin revoked the bond.

Last Call, a hip-hop music venue, had been a source of controversy for the past few years. Police kept a special watch on it at closing time and sometimes seized weapons they found in patrons' cars parked nearby. Two years ago, shots were fired inside the club, but no one was hurt.

The violence associated with Last Call led the city of Lawrence to revoke its liquor license earlier this year in an attempt to shut down the club. Owner Dennis Steffes, however, kept the club open by operating under a "bring your own alcohol" rule. After the February shooting, however, Steffes voluntarily closed the club. He now faces eviction proceedings.

But the injured bouncers - Canady and Weber - said they would readily return to work for Steffes if he reopened the club. They said the city's perception of the club was wrong.

"It's a good place. I had a lot of fun," Weber said. "Shootings, stabbings and fights happen at all bars."

Weber said he was injured when a ricochet bullet hit his left foot. He walks on crutches. He said he worked at Last Call for four years and had been a bouncer for seven years.

"I've been in about 200 fights; I've been stabbed and I've been shot at, but this is the first time I've been shot," he said.

Canady was hit in the back shoulder by a bullet. The tip of the bullet is still lodged under the skin of his right upper arm.

Two women still face charges stemming from the shooting. Sonda Washington, 33, and Sherise Spears, 20, both of Topeka, are charged with providing assistance to Jackson following the shooting. They waived their preliminary hearings Thursday, and trials will be scheduled.

Comments

countrygirl 6 years, 9 months ago

"Jackson said he didn't intend to shoot anyone." So just what did he think was going to happen when he pointed a gun at a crowd of people are starting firing? Geesh.

otto 6 years, 9 months ago

Jackson has enough time and money to party - does he have enough money to pay the hospital bills of those injured?

Uhlrick_Hetfield_III 6 years, 9 months ago

"Weber said. "Shootings, stabbings and fights happen at all bars."'

Maybe at the ones you work, but not all of them.

Bladerunner 6 years, 9 months ago

Ummmmmmmm. Not so much. Idiot.

Mzz Meehwitdatmess 6 years, 9 months ago

I am happy this person owned up for his actions. Bar fights, happen all over the world, Lawrence is not perfect. Everything drastic that does happen just goes to show.

coolmarv 6 years, 9 months ago

I don't think he had a choice but to 'own up'. It was on tape. I don't think he did anything noble by any means. He just got caught with the 'smoking gun'. I bet the only thing he is sorry for is the fact that he go caught.

Tammy Copp-Barta 6 years, 9 months ago

How come we never heard anymore about the 15 year old? I certainly hope his parents have been talked to. At the very least he should be a child in need of care. Is the club being charged, or can they be, for him being in there? Just curious.

supercowbellninja 6 years, 9 months ago

If Last Call had hired Patrick Swayze as their lead bouncer, then none of this would have happened. Look at how effective he was in "Road House"!

nekansan 6 years, 9 months ago

I wonder if Jackson has any previous felony convictions? If so where is the felon in possession of a gun charges that add an additional 5 years to his visit to some of finer B&Bs in Kansas. .

BlackVelvet 6 years, 9 months ago

"nekansan (Anonymous) says:

I wonder if Jackson has any previous felony convictions? If so where is the felon in possession of a gun charges that add an additional 5 years to his visit to some of finer B&Bs in Kansas." First Degree Murder when he was 17 years old. He was in custody until age 23. But since he was a "juvenile" when that occurred, they probably can't hold it against him. some of our laws (protecting juveniles) are stupid

Bossa_Nova 6 years, 9 months ago

i wonder what will become the next venue for the Last Call crowd. Club Axis?

Mike Blur 6 years, 9 months ago

Don't forget--Club Axis used to be the Moon Bar, where JR Giddens was stabbed a few years ago.

Beverly 6 years, 9 months ago

This is a college town! What is sad we have alot more accidents caused by people drinking and driving because they have no place to go. We need to be thankful for places like Club Axis for young people to go. Mr Mike you need to go back and re-read your infomation on the Moon Bar and JR Giddens. You also need to know the LJWorld only print half the truth, the part that makes a good story. I support Club Axis and all the other bars in Lawrence. Just think they help keep the city pigs in jobs, and they help by keeping the prisons occupied which keeps the state with jobs. This is just like the food chain!

Calliope877 6 years, 9 months ago

"Jackson said he'd been at another Lawrence club, Club Axis, 821 Iowa, and had been smoking marijuana and taking Ecstasy before he got to Last Call."

Gee Mr. Jackson, thanks for giving the state and federal government yet another reason to backup their demonization of marijuana and its usage.
I don't know a whole lot about ecstacy, never did it and don't want to -- but I do know that only a dumb@ss like yourself would mix the two. Add to the combination an individual with a phenomenally low IQ, and the result is what happened that night.

BlackVelvet 6 years, 9 months ago

Beverly said: "I support Club Axis and all the other bars in Lawrence. Just think they help keep the city pigs in jobs, and they help by keeping the prisons occupied which keeps the state with jobs. This is just like the food chain!"

Why am I not surprised you said this? I suppose you believe that the cops made up all the stuff about Giddens and the Moon Bar, eh? c'mon...tell us all about it!!

Crossfire 6 years, 9 months ago

Carlos Jerome Jackson pleads guilty the same week that Major Edwards Jr. and Durell Jones are charged with the murder of Anthony "Clacc" Vital.

...Just one of those things that makes me go "humm..."

dutch8080 6 years, 9 months ago

Just a heads up to all the concerned citizens in Lawrence, but I believe there's about to be a new B.Y.O.B. location opening up in a few short weeks located very close to the famous axis location and the "Merc " right on Iowa ! Gee, and we all thought some of these problems with the Last Call were beginning to end? This place has even easier access to I-70 than Last Call did ! I think the problems are just beginning my friends ! My question is " How in the _ could this be happening ?

KC_Watchdog 6 years, 9 months ago

Crossfire,

I noticed you mentioned Major Edwards. Do you know if the murder charges are State or Federal? Just curious, I won't disclose where he's at, but he's currently locked up (and been there for awhile now) in the correctional facility I work at for other charges (again, I won't disclose their nature)...

KC_Watchdog 6 years, 9 months ago

smitty, I wasn't trying to bait for information. I was simply curious. You need to bring your paranoia down to a manageable level...

Why would I be baiting for information? What purpose would it serve me? I couldn't care less if Edwards goes free or serves 3 consecutive Life sentences. He's just another criminal in the system, as far as I'm concerned. I'm just familiar with his name from my previous job, which coincidentally carried over and wound him up at my current job now. He's been celled alone in Segregation for months, because every time they put him in General Population or try celling inmates with him in Segregation, he ends up threatening to harm them or gets in fights, so they've got him holed up in a cell by himself permanently, until he goes on to wherever else he's to be transferred to...