Archive for Thursday, February 14, 2008

Police identify Topeka man as suspect in Last Call shootings

3 people injured early Sunday morning

February 14, 2008, 10:43 a.m. Updated February 14, 2008, 12:00 p.m.

Carlos Jerome Jackson. Picture was taken last year when he was arrested for drug charges in Shawnee County.

Lawrence Police have identified a 26-year-old Topeka man as the gunman in the shooting of three people early Sunday morning outside Last Call private club in downtown.

Capt. Dan Affalter said police are seeking the public's help in finding Carlos Jerome Jackson, who has been charged in a felony arrest warrant with three counts of aggravated battery.

Affalter said Jackson is described as a black male, 5-foot-11, weighing 160 pounds, with black hair and brown eyes.

Affalter asked anyone with information about Jackson to call Lawrence Police, (785) 832-7509. Affalter also encouraged anyone who observes Jackson outside the city of Lawrence to immediately contact their local law enforcement agency. People with information also may contact CrimeStoppers at (785) 843-TIPS.

Jackson is accused of shooting three people - two Last Call employees and a 15-year-old patron - about 3 a.m. Sunday outside the club, 729 N.H.

On Wednesday, felony charges were filed against two Topeka women for aiding Jackson. Lawrence police said both women were in the car with the gunman. They were arrested Tuesday and taken to the Douglas County Jail.

Sherise Spears, 20, was charged with aiding and abetting an aggravated battery. During her first appearance in Douglas County, District Judge Pro Tem Peggy Kittel set Spears' bond at $30,000.

A charge of aiding a felon was filed against Sonda M. Washington, 30. Kittel set her bond at $15,000.

Both women are to appear in court again today so their preliminary hearings can be scheduled.

When he was 17, Jackson, pleaded guilty to felony murder and aggravated robbery in connection with the 1998 shooting death of a Topeka man. He and another Topeka youth were charged in connection with the death of Dennis R. Campbell, 24, who was shot Oct. 2, 1998, while he drove just southwest of downtown Topeka. Topeka police said Campbell was shot after a deal involving a small amount of marijuana turned into an attempted robbery.

More details as they develop.

Comments

BigPrune 6 years, 10 months ago

One and the same guy? If it is, what's this guy doing out of prison? Same name of a guy who already killed once before (if it's the same guy). He was from Topeka.

b_asinbeer 6 years, 10 months ago

From Topeka...again.

Anyone else surprised?

1029 6 years, 10 months ago

I just lost $20. My friend said it would be a twenty-something black guy from topeka or kansas city, and I said it would be a middle-aged white guy from lawrence or olathe. Hopefully they got the wrong guy. I really want to keep my $20.

TheOriginalCA 6 years, 10 months ago

We need Barack to come into Lawrence and build a fence between Lawrence and Topeka.

kneejerkreaction 6 years, 10 months ago

I wonder if a nuetron stopwatch would have been fast enough to time the rollover and ratout?

And, 1029, you are invited to the next poker night at my house.

Lil_Bear 6 years, 10 months ago

redfred 6 years, 10 months ago

Sweettrue2 - Sounds like she overspent her allowance and had to come up with a story.

sweettrue2 6 years, 10 months ago

It just amazes me the kind of news they publish over and over and over...what issue is really at hand? and then fails to report the things that the majority of the community could have so easily fallen victim to.

jaycat 6 years, 10 months ago

coolmarv 6 years, 10 months ago

Did the LJW report the previous conviction after BigPrune posted? I think maybe BP should be on the LJW payroll.

Lil_Bear 6 years, 10 months ago

From this article "Suspects in robbery with machete sought" sounds like Topeka and KC is not the only problem in this town!!! Glad I don't in these towns. LOL

notajayhawk 6 years, 10 months ago

Lil_Bear (Anonymous) says:

"Why is everyone so worried about where the person was from and not about the fact of why there was a 15 year old there at 3 am????"

Personally I'm more concerned about why a person convicted of felony murder less than ten years ago was out on the street to try again.

Mari Aubuchon 6 years, 10 months ago

from The Topeka Capital-Journal Feb 4, 1999: A 17-year-old convicted killer from Topeka will be the first person in Shawnee County sentenced under a year-old law that provides an extra incentive not to "mess up" in the juvenile justice prison system, a judge said Wednesday.

Instead of being turned loose at age 23, Carlos Jerome Jackson might have to serve a 15-year-to-life sentence in the adult prison system should he commit infractions while in the juvenile system.

Kat Christian 6 years, 10 months ago

And we are surprised this young man tried to kill again? He should have been put away for life the first time he killed someone. What does this say to American youths today? "Kill someone as long as you're under 18 - the punishment won't be that bad" Then what happens they get older and become an even bigger killer and a real nuisance to society. This is so screwed up - something very wrong with our criminal system. Too lenient on offenders.

bangaranggerg 6 years, 10 months ago

I'm not ready to convict him before I see the evidence.. wait, actually I've never been more ready. Hopefully they catch him in time that he can be some dude in county jails valentine.

BigPrune 6 years, 10 months ago

Thanks coolmarv. I'm sure the JW had to confirm they were one and the same person, which I didn't do.

Confrontation 6 years, 10 months ago

Dollypukepuke and Ralphralph (most likely the same person) step forward and show that they're proud to be racists. No surprise here.

TheOriginalCA 6 years, 10 months ago

Esq2eB (Anonymous) says:

But how would people from Lawrence get to work?

Better yet, how would Topukans get the help they so desperately need?

Topside 6 years, 10 months ago

Topeka baby, don't mess with the 6-6-6, ya' heard. they don't play.

"People with guns don't understand. That's why they have guns, too many misunderstandings" -Jerry Seinfeld

BigAl 6 years, 10 months ago

Confrontation (Anonymous) says:

I rarely, if ever, agree with Dolly but what was racist about what Dolly and Ralph said? This guy has committed murder before and he apparently just attempted murder again. It doesn't matter what color he is, he needs to be put away for a very long time, if not forever.

toefungus 6 years, 10 months ago

Does the entire Topeka zipcode start with 666? Home of the little rascal Fred and his Gang? I don't know why that never occurred to me before. It is a cursed city!!

Termcd4 6 years, 10 months ago

I have to admit, the first thought in my mind after reading the story was ....why was the 15 year old out at 3 am!???

Godfather94 6 years, 10 months ago

Here is what I don't understand. The suspect, pleaded guilty of a felony murder in 1998. Why is he still on the streets? Is he a special person? Maybe the law will put him where he belongs. Prison for life!

Godfather94 6 years, 10 months ago

I just posted my first comment with LJWorld. I have always read peoples comments, One thing I have always noticed was there was never any rascism remarks and no cursing. Everybody expressing there views and everybody is always able to learn from other comments. I am glad I subscribed. Good job on your term of policy LJWorld.

Whip101 6 years, 10 months ago

Rather this individual is from Topeka or Lawrence is not relevant. What is relevant is that he is not in prison or, (unfortunately) wasn't executed for his first killing. At 17 he should have been tried as an adult and not a juvenile and he should have received the maximum punishment allowed by law.

What has become of this state? It more and more is resembling Southern California - which is not a good thing, I don't care who you are.

Someone said, "One thing I have always noticed was there was never any rascism remarks". Well, hopefully you don't consider this racist, (but, if you do, I am sure the Journal World will bow to it's removal):

Violent black crime is at an epidemic. Every time I turn on the morning news or pick up a newspaper it is staring me in the face, once again showing that blacks are becoming more and more violent. I find it amazing that a people who make up about 13% of this countries population commits 80% of violent crime.I would like to know what is the root cause and what is the remedy?

squirly 6 years, 10 months ago

Whip: "Every time I turn on the morning news or pick up a newspaper it is staring me in the face, once again showing that blacks are becoming more and more violent."

Perhaps that's because that's what the news media wants you to see. They do so like to invoke fear in the masses. Perhaps because "the man" is so used to watching the black man, they still forget to watch the white man and miss things he's getting away with. Just a thought. I'm sure the truth lies somewhere in between. Although I'm sure that people of color have been sentenced more harshly than whites who committed the same crime.

notajayhawk 6 years, 10 months ago

Mari (Anonymous) says:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I just saw a similar story on TV. But that wasn't what I meant by my question, I know he was only 17 when he plead guilty to the murder. I haven't lived in Kansas that long, so I was wondering, couldn't he have been charged as an adult? He was only a few months shy of 18, and he still gets a pass as a juvenile for murder?

Godfather94 6 years, 10 months ago

Whip101, (7:04pm)..................I agree with your article 100%. I'm new to these comments in this area of the internet. I also thought he should have been tried as an adult in 1998. It's sad that we have to specify one particular race, but were not including all members of a race. Like in all races, It's always just a few members that make it bad. There alot people in all races, that I could sit down with and visit with all day long. In your article, facts are facts.