Archive for Friday, March 7, 2008

Lawrence girls defeat Olathe South High at state, 62-51

March 7, 2008, 3:56 p.m. Updated March 7, 2008, 5:16 p.m.

Lawrence High School junior Tania Jackon, left, muscles down a rebound Friday, March 7, 2008 during the Lions' state match-up against Olathe South High School in Emporia.

Lawrence High's girls basketball team advanced to the Class 6A state championship Friday afternoon with a 62-51 victory over Olathe South.

The Lions shot out to a 13-0 lead and never looked back, handing the Falcons just their third loss of the season (21-3).

LHS senior Danielle Bird led the Lions with 20 points. Tania Jackson registered a double-double with 14 points and 13 rebounds. Taylor Bird scored 13 points, and Cassie Potter added 11.

The Lions (20-4) will play the winner of the Goddard vs. Wichita Heights game on Saturday at 4 p.m.

Comments

mom_of_three 7 years, 3 months ago

It would be nice if the paper would give a timely update since the game is already over......

mom_of_three 7 years, 3 months ago

When I posted at 4:46, the game was over, and I found out the score from a Wichita paper. It wasn't updated on ljworld until after 5:00. Not timely.
and pardon me, for following high school sports events. I do have 3 teenagers.
Why not follow the high school sports if you live in the town? As the Wichita paper said, Lawrence evidently has more than just the Jayhawks?

mom_of_three 7 years, 3 months ago

And the guys are up by one at half for those of whom can not listen to the radio or are waiting for an update by the paper.

Mysons 7 years, 3 months ago

The Boys won!!!!!! Congratulations to both teams - Good luck tomorrow

Lilfish338 7 years, 3 months ago

Everyone should make the journey down to Emporia tomorrow to support and watch these great teams in action at State! (It will for sure be worth drive and moneys worth) The crowds have been amazing and very uplifting for the girls and boys playing. I'm happy to say that I have been very impressed with the turnouts at all the games this week from the community of Lawrence. I'm proud to say I'm a Lion and ... Its a great day to be a Lion!!!!

MIke Mallory 7 years, 3 months ago

AWESOME DAY TO BE A LION. THE CROWDS WERE AMAZING, LETS GO GET TWO STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS IN ONE DAY!!!!