Archive for Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Police seek ID of persons of interest in June 7 shooting

Lawrence police are seeking the public's assistance in identifying the men in this photo. The men are persons of interest associated with the discharge of weapons at 1:08 a.m. June 7 in the 1800 block of New Hampshire.

June 18, 2008, 1:09 p.m. Updated June 19, 2008, 12:00 a.m.

Police seek help identifying persons of interest

Lawrence police need your help identifying two men wanted in connection with a series of gunshots fired into homes in a central Lawrence neighborhood. Enlarge video

Lawrence police are seeking the public's help to identify two people who may be associated with gunfire June 7 in the 1800 block of New Hampshire Street.

According to Sgt. Paul Fellers, officers were dispatched at 1:10 a.m. June 7 to the Kwik Shop at 19th and Massachusetts about a fight that involved shots being fired.

A witness reported that a gray Chevrolet Caprice pulled into the convenience store lot followed quickly by a red Honda Civic. The witness reported several occupants were in each car.

Fellers said the witness reported the two groups of people from the cars began to argue. The witness reported the groups split up after yelling at each other, Fellers said.

The Caprice then chased the Honda out of the lot, turning east on 19th Street and then north on New Hampshire Street. The witness heard the cars speeding and at least six gunshots.

A third vehicle also may have been involved, Fellers said.

Police later found several empty shell casings along the street. One bullet hole later was found in each of three houses in the 1800 block of New Hampshire Street.

The photo of two men who are believed to be involved comes from a surveillance camera inside the Kwik Shop.

Police ask anyone with information about the men to call the detectives division at 830-7430, dispatch at 832-7509 or the TIPS Hotline at 843-8477.

Comments

rumor_man 6 years, 2 months ago

They were friendly because they were asking directions to Last Call. They only started shooting after they were told it had closed down.

classclown 6 years, 2 months ago

Is the word 'suspect' considered a dirty word in the world of political correctness nowadays? We never hear about suspects anymore. Always person(s) of interest. PC run amok again.To be on the safe side, and in the interest of CYA, we should perhaps start referring to them as 'alleged person(s) of interest'.

jayhawkerz 6 years, 2 months ago

daddax98I think you may be on to something.....

bearded_gnome 6 years, 2 months ago

clearly, they're happy because they just got directions to the castle tea room! and, mo, larry, where's curly? bigprune, that was pretty d----d funny, right thar!
really not clear whether this is connected to the delaware street shootings or not! hey, how's you guys in the neighborhood feeling? hope things are settling down and you are getting back to the nice quiet life again. oh, I'm posting here at great personal risk. posters have expressed their shock that max1 used one of the delaware street shooting threads to slime me, taking a comment out of context, a comment that simply recognized the seriousness of having two young men die so suddenly. so, watch for sMax1self.

hellbilly_grrl 6 years, 2 months ago

Are you being sarcastic, Billybob, or do young African-American men really frighten you that much?

BillybobThorten 6 years, 2 months ago

LadyJ 6 years, 2 months ago

clyde- why would you make fun a kid who has nothing to do with this. It bad enough hawk drags his disagreement with cool here and picks a fight but this kid has never done anything to you to deserve such treatment. For crying out loud she's just a kid.

daddax98 6 years, 2 months ago

it's Mario Chalmers and Anthony Collins /joke

rlmtyco 6 years, 2 months ago

what the comments arent public on this one?

Bossa_Nova 6 years, 2 months ago

let's post their pictures in facebook

BigPrune 6 years, 2 months ago

Reading these responses reminds me of that Airplane! movie. I vaguely recall some of the following dialogue......Randy: Can I get you something? Second Jive Dude: 'S'mofo butter layin' me to da' BONE! Jackin' me up... tight me! Randy: I'm sorry, I don't understand. First Jive Dude: Cutty say 'e can't HANG! Jive Lady (Mrs. June Cleaver): Oh stewardess! I speak jive. Randy: Oh, good. Jive Lady (Mrs. June Cleaver): He said that he's in great pain and he wants to know if you can help him. Randy: All right. Would you tell him to just relax and I'll be back as soon as I can with some medicine? Jive Lady (Mrs. June Cleaver): Jus' hang loose, blood. She gonna catch ya up on da' rebound on da' med side. Second Jive Dude: What it is, big mama? My mama no raise no dummies. I dug her rap! Jive Lady (Mrs. June Cleaver): Cut me some slack, Jack! Chump don' want no help, chump don't GET da' help! First Jive Dude: Say 'e can't hang, say seven up! Jive Lady (Mrs. June Cleaver): Jive *ss dude don't got no brains anyhow! Hmmph!

lawrenceguy1 6 years, 2 months ago

I live down the street from there and was awake then. I heard rapid fire gunshots and then saw the police racing by. That was the same night as the double murders on the east side. I've been wondering if those were somehow connected, but it turns out they weren't.

clyde_never_barks 6 years, 2 months ago

Why don't they ask the psychic girl from a few days ago...

rlmtyco 6 years, 2 months ago

nevermind, i saw it said 3 comments up there and couldnt see any of them so I decided to post, I guess mine showed up but no one elses. Man survalience pictures are getting clear nowadays

ksdivakat 6 years, 2 months ago

Wow! Thats the first time I have seen LPD ask for assistance identifying someone.....Im sure its happened, I just havent been aware of it. Im quite sure somebody will step forward and identify these guys PDQ, this is still a small enough town that not much gets past the "regulars"

costello 6 years, 2 months ago

"Im quite sure somebody will step forward and identify these guys PDQ, this is still a small enough town that not much gets past the 'regulars'"Maybe they're from Topeka or KC. ;-)

Bossa_Nova 6 years, 2 months ago

from the pictures it looks like these guys knew the cash register attendant. they seem to be all giddy waltzing in the place like everybody knows them. i'll bit it really is haywood and freddy with contemporary doos and clothes.

yellowhouse 6 years, 2 months ago

finally they move up in the world and got a car! At least they did not have to run away on foot this time!