Archive for Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Abandoned truck being investigated

June 17, 2008

Douglas County Sheriff's officers are currently investigating an abandoned truck near the Kansas River levee in North Lawrence.

The truck is in a wooded area along the stretch of the river that goes north past Burcham Park. No other information was available at this time.

Comments

Dixie Jones 7 years ago

would be nice for a make and model so we could know if it might be ours.....

jonas 7 years ago

costello 7 years ago

peachesncream says: "would be nice for a make and model so we could know if it might be ours"From the picture caption: "The truck, owned by John Hey, of rural Baldwin was reported stolen a week ago from the Hey residence."If you're John Hey, it's your truck. ;-)Of course, John Hey is in one of the photos, so I'm guessing he knows they found his truck.

rumor_man 7 years ago

I was with that truck last night. It exposed itself to me and then tried to rub up next to me.

newsreader 7 years ago

The article and the pictures both tell a different story....

BrianR 7 years ago

jonas (Anonymous) says:"So that's where I left that damned thing! Curse these alcohol-related blackouts."Well, you are officially "old" now. That's the first thing that goes.

HighScore 7 years ago

stuckinthemiddle 7 years ago

bearded_gnome 7 years ago

I'm psychic, and I predicted that I was.wow,multi you should go on a discovery channel documentary! you could find abandoned trucks, abandoned feet, hats with beer labels on them, red bull. ***the headline for this story is pretty lame i have to agree. rewrite:Stolen truck recovered at rivers' side."or "driver ducked the truck where the ducks live." "hey truck, come back!" or"truck fails to make it into the river, abandoned." or "truck with no bumper stickers couldn't fit in in lawrence, tried to drown in river, didn't make it."etc.

thebigspoon 7 years ago

This must be an intern getting his feet wet...... Please tell me this is the case.

fu7il3 7 years ago

If it doesn't, I'll be disappointed.

PetMaster5 7 years ago

The Lawrence Urinal Worldbringing you the latest breaking abandoned automobile stories for over too many years..

BigPrune 7 years ago

If it was an old junky truck, what value would it have to be to be considered a felony? A long time ago I had a roommate that drove a POS Datsun Super Bee that had been spray painted black (from a can or two) and rusted out floor boards - you could see the road under the driver's side and passenger's side. Some braniac stole it and parked it in a lot downtown. If memory is correct, I don't think it was considered a felony because it was such a piece of crap.Anyway, just wondering what the value of it would have to be to be considered a felony.

coolmarv 7 years ago

The photos say "stolen' truck. That kind of takes away from the mystery of the article. I was all worked up thinking of why it may have been abandoned. Now that I know, the article just seems like a stupid bit of worthless news.

Grammaton 7 years ago

"Abandoned truck being investigated.""Mall patron buys sneakers with lights in the heels.""Guy wears too many small pins on his hat."Pfft.

Rabbitgoesthump 7 years ago

if your going to claim insurance on a stolen car ,you might want to have your friends hide it better then that....=eg

bearded_gnome 7 years ago

so, that makes this the "hey truck?" "hey truck! don't stop now!" etc. yes, I wondered if the driver just had sudden business in the woods nearby? 'as the truck was towed, a man with his trowsers around his knees came hobbling out. he was shouting something about "hey, that's my truck, d------it! come back!" make and model:jonas is caucasion, male, with an occassionally dry sense of humor.
fu..maybe it was driven here by the foot, and the foot needed to rehydrate. It could be in the river right now..just waiting for gnomedog to find it!true: we were walking down by the 8th st. boat ramp yesterday and gnomedog was absolutely fixated on something in the river or next to it. dunno if he smelled something suspicious. might be related?

fu7il3 7 years ago

Maybe the truck had a foot in it from the UK?

BaxterC 7 years ago

AW CRAP! That's where I left my truck.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 7 years ago

"The photo gallery provided more information than the actual article. Come on Mike Belt, you can do a lot better than that."The webmaster is a better reporter than the reporter.

thedrawl 7 years ago

Speaking of mysterious LJW things, does anyone know what ever happened to this:http://www2.ljworld.com/blogs/notes_desert/2008/may/29/finalpost/Did this series/special report/whatever just, uh, go away?

hail2oldku 7 years ago

jonas (Anonymous) says: So that's where I left that damned thing! Curse these alcohol-related blackouts.Celebrate that birthday a little too heavily Jonas?

iliveinmycar 7 years ago

I honestly don't know what I would do--or who or what I would turn to--if my car was ever stolen.

regan210 7 years ago

gwjayhawk 7 years ago

You people are highly inappropriate...but hilarious.Thanks for the good laugh.

igby 7 years ago

They needed a ride too Johnny's tavern! lol.

Rabbitgoesthump 7 years ago

they must have had extra space that needed filled today..

notajayhawk 7 years ago

regan210 (Anonymous) says: "Great story - I love how they report about this truck, but there has been absolutely no mention of the high speed chase that resulted in a truck on the sidewalk and damage to a downtown Lawrence storefront."Maybe if they leave the truck on the sidewalk in front of the store for a few days then 'find' it, it will make the news.

stuckinthemiddle 7 years ago

Multidisciplinary well... hard to win post of the day when the post gets ~disappeared~...I guess we're not allowed to say "g_d-damn"...?or maybe the LJW thought I was scooping them...

bearded_gnome 7 years ago

stucky,yes, they've been a bit more sensitive lately, I was surprised your post got pulled, given your history and given the topic of this story, or semistory! ***"hey truck goes out of control, wood stop finally." "goin' for a hey-ride!" "hey, you kids get off my lawn!"

bearded_gnome 7 years ago

I have an idea:let's all just post on here to put this back in the most popular, given it is such outstanding journalistic writing! someone could write a poem about the abandoned truck.another, could write a flashfiction short story about how the abandoned truck got there. someone else could write a "man on the scene" about the sheriff's recovering it. btw, t this is in the city limits, so why the sheriffs? someone else could start a word game based on this story. finally, some could start a group letter written by the truck. imagine the possibilities!