Archive for Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Homicide suspect’s trial set

Kellam D. Jones, 16, as pictured in a 2006 yearbook photo from Central Junior High School.

June 11, 2008

16-year-old charged in shooting pleads 'not guilty'

A 16-year-old Lawrence man pleads 'not guilty' to two counts of felony murder stemming from a double fatality shooting that occurred this weekend in East Lawrence. Enlarge video

A trial in juvenile court has been set for later this month for a Lawrence teenager charged with two counts of murder, crimes his mother and a neighbor say the boy didn't commit.

Until his June 23 trial, Kellam D. Jones, 16, will be confined at Douglas County Juvenile Detention Center. During Kellam's initial court appearance Tuesday, District Judge Peggy Kittel ruled the youth is a risk to public safety.

Jones' court-appointed attorney, Craig Stancliffe, entered pleas of not guilty on behalf of his client, who is charged with two counts of felony first-degree murder and one count of attempted aggravated robbery.

Jones was charged Monday, two days after a double shooting claimed two men's lives at 1311 Del. Prosecutors and police allege Jones and Gage Hauk, 18, McLouth, went to the Delaware Street home to commit a robbery. Inside the house was resident Roland Klundt. Klundt shot Hauk during the robbery attempt, police said. Then, Jones shot Klundt and fled on foot, according to police. Jones was arrested the next day.

Police recovered a shotgun in the house and a rifle about a block away.

Jones is charged with the two deaths because they occurred during the commission of a felony - in this case, aggravated robbery. Prosecutors don't have to prove that he killed anyone, only that the deaths resulted from his actions.

During the hearing Jones did not speak and sat quietly next to Stancliffe.

Prosecutors have the option of filing a motion to have Jones tried as an adult. A spokeswoman for the district attorney's office said that possibility is under review. If such a motion were filed, a judge would have to rule on it.

Attending Jones' hearing was his mother, Rhonda M. Dolan. Earlier Tuesday outside her Lawrence mobile home, she said she didn't believe her son was guilty, adding that he did not have a gun. She said she spoke to her son when he was being questioned by police Sunday.

"He said, 'Mom, I didn't do it,' Dolan recalled. "We cried. We chit-chatted."

Jones has always been a "pretty good kid; a typical 16-year-old," Dolan said.

During the past few years, his mother said, he experienced some medical problems, including neurocardiosyncopy, which affects the signals the brain sends to the heart.

Jones had known Hauk for about three months, Dolan said. She did not know how the two met.

Jones had dropped out of Free State High School, according to school records. But Dolan said her son eventually wanted to go to college and become a scientist.

Jones also spent time next door baby-sitting with neighbor Carrie Mann's three young children. Like Jones' mother, Mann said she doesn't believe Jones was involved in the shooting incident. She said she was stunned when police found him at her home Sunday and took him in for questioning.

Klundt, who was a sophomore scholarship student at Baker University, was remembered in a statement by Baker Provost Randy Pembrook released Tuesday: "Our thoughts and prayers are with the Klundt family. Baker University is a tightly knit community where each student is appreciated and valued. It is a tragedy to experience such a devastating loss at such a young age."

Comments

Haiku_Cuckoo 7 years, 2 months ago

"Too bad society (WE) didn't help him out with some guidance ahead of time."======"WE"? Actually there are guidance programs in place. Big Brothers/Big Sisters and Van-Go Mobile Arts are just two of them. Why didn't his parents get him involved in those programs? We, as members of society, cannot go around knocking on doors looking for at-risk kids. The parent has an obligation to instill discipline in their child and to seek help for that child if needed.

salad 7 years, 2 months ago

"Jones has always been a "pretty good kid; a typical 16-year-old," Dolan said."I was just waitin' for this comment! Of course his mom thinks he's perfect!!! So by this logic, "pretty good kids" who are "normal 16 year-olds" go to somebodys house with a gun to rob them. Hang em high!!!

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 7 years, 2 months ago

No need for a trial at all. The JW Forum members have already tried, convicted and passed sentence.

costello 7 years, 2 months ago

"If she can't afford a house that's not on wheels, how can she afford that?"Yeah, she said on her myspace page that her electric was cut off on May 1. And her dad died in March. Sounds like she's having a very hard time. The boy needs to retain an attorney, but it looks like the court appointed attorney will be what he gets.

Dani Davey 7 years, 2 months ago

Mr_Nancy_Boy_to_you said: "Sounds like lazy police/prosecutorial work just to get a quick collar, backed by knee-jerk journalism-again. So, if Jones was in another room and Hauk and Klundt had a lethal shoot-out in another room or not within proximity, this 16 yr old gets the two deaths pinned on him?"Lazy police work? Seriously? The turn around time between the shooting and the arrest was like 36 hours. Unless Jones left a business card and a confession on the front door, that is amazing police work. And lazy prosecutorial work? I'm assuming you say this because they don't have to prove that Jones was actually the one that shot anyone. Except, and this may come as a surprise, the DA's office doesn't get to pick the elements they have to prove - those are actually codified in statute. And yes, if he had been in the other room and hadn't shot anyone, he could still be charged with felony murder. If you don't think felony murder is fair, that is something to take up with the legislature.

Confrontation 7 years, 2 months ago

Religion really helped BTK and Mark Miller.

stuckinthemiddle 7 years, 2 months ago

geniusmannumber1 you make a good point about the word "designed"... a poor choice on my part...the word "designed" would seem to indicate some kind of advanced logic in the creation of the law...and you can argue that the purpose of the law is deterrence... it's a popular argument for draconian laws... but it would certainly seem that the continuance of hideous violent crime implies that there is little if any deterrence factor to such laws...yet... people do seem to feel a certain sense of vengeful placation when bad guys are put away for life...or hung from the highest tree...

rlmtyco 7 years, 2 months ago

yeah I agree with you eddie. Lj world is biast anyhow, when I was younger and me and my friends got into some trouble, they sure didnt display us a good guys even though we were compared to the people we got into it with. They choose their side and stick with it through stuff, not sure why but they do

Bob Forer 7 years, 2 months ago

"agree, but my understanding was that court-appointed attorneys have very limited funds for experts and other expenses."While not unlimited, a court appointed attorney can petition the court for funds to hire experts and investigators. In serious cases such as this, a judge, at least in Lawrence, will almost nevr deny a reasonable request for funds. The charges incurred are paid by the State Board of INdigent Defense Services. While the quality of court appointed criminal defense is awful in many states, Kansas is the exception to the rule. The Public Defender offices in the larger cities, as a general rule, have pretty decent attornys. The Appellate Defender's Office, which handles indigent criminal appeals, is, in my opinion, one of the best in the countries, and have an unsurpassed record od obtaining reversals of criminal convictions. And while I know very little about the quality of defense in other Kansas communities, the court-apponted panel in Lawrence contains a nice selection of quality criminal defense attorneys, such as Craig Stancliffe, the Frydman brothers, et. al.

PapaB 7 years, 2 months ago

At this point, who cares if the kid can be fixed by any measure? We put people in jail when they are a danger to others, not just to rehabilitate them. I couldn't care less about what's best for him. I'd rather feel safer knowing he's off the streets. Sure, he made a mistake and no one can argue he's guiltless, but second chances when lives are at stake should be very few and have a long wait before them.I don't want to get all preachy, but I wouldn't blame videogames as much as I would blame the lack of religion in the lives of kids like these. People all blame the parents for not raising their kids right, but it would probably do some good to put the fear of god into these kids so they realize that there are eternal consequences for taking lives. Either way, it's the parents fault for not teaching their kids right and wrong, whether they use religion or some other means to get through.

costello 7 years, 2 months ago

"There were two 10 year old boys who tortured a 2 year old child to death"The trouble is we can't really know how these 2 boys will/have turned out.I remember hearing of a similar crime when I was about 10. This would have been in the early '70's. Two brothers, aged about 11 and 13, took a neighbor child, aged about 3, into a basement and beat him to death.I remember I was horrified when I heard the story. Over the years, I wondered what had become of the boys. A few years ago I saw a documentary about them. The older boy grew up to be a normal person and stay out of trouble. The younger one was constantly in trouble, but not for violent crimes (as I recollect).I remember one aspect of the crime was that the body was found laid out as if he had been crucified. They asked the older boy - now a man - why they'd done that. Apparently it hadn't been intentional. But once they realized the child was dead, they had tried to revive him.

loki8025 7 years, 2 months ago

OH yes, and it helped quite a few pedophiles and child abusers that went to a private run prison in Kanapolis. You find god and you are out in a few months.

geniusmannumber1 7 years, 2 months ago

Hey, I tried (above), but no one seemed interested in delving into 12th century English common law with me. Surprisingly enough.

crazycatlady 7 years, 2 months ago

Roland was a good kid. He was an eagle scout. He was good student. He was smart and quiet. He was very close to his younger brother and mother and his older sister. He was an animal lover. He has a big family and we are all mourning the loss of this bright and kind young man. He was a victim in a horrible crime. I remember him playing with two of his 5 year old cousins, who looked up to him and love him. He will be remembered by his family and friends.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 7 years, 2 months ago

"invest some money in a real lawyer"If she can't afford a house that's not on wheels, how can she afford that?

ksmax 7 years, 2 months ago

I agree with freighttrain, there is a lack of morals, rules, instilled in some children, it is really sad. I try my best to make sure that I instill the same morals and values in my children as my parents instilled in me. It sure sounds like there was a lack of parental guideance in this case. I don't think it is always the case, there are good parents that just have children that make bad choices, but we as parents have to do our best to give them the right values to base their lives around. This mother should have been making sure that her 16 yr old was going to school. Work with the school to make sure that he IS there. If you want to be involved, you WILL be.

littlegrace 7 years, 2 months ago

School and youth programs are very limited. Funding is always the problem. WRAP once has a summer program but the funding crunch forced them to end it. Bert Nash has some programs available for kids who cannot utilize Parks And Rec in the summer due to behavioral issues. Those are limited too by age and funding. Van Go arts is the most limited of all.Someone asked where Kellam's father is and you know I wonder that myself. He was around a few years ago. If he is around you would think he would have been at the hearing.I just can't recall if Kellam ever used Bert Nash services. There are several kids in the general group who had over the years. I know of at least 4 boys who have dropped out of school in the last year alone. As a parent that option is not open to my children. There are plenty of options available through the school to achieve a completion.It is true we do not know all the details of the case police have but there must be some evidence to support the charges. I am assuming that the rifle found a block down had prints on it and that powder tests were done on Kellam's hands to know if he had in fact fired the gun.I remember Kellam as a pretty shy kid but that was in junior high so alot could have changed over the course of time.

costello 7 years, 2 months ago

"Forget punishment and rehab, its too late for them, just keep them off our streets as long as possible!!!!!"Nonsense. You can't know that.

costello 7 years, 2 months ago

"Well Monkeyspunk..Your what if::is shot down when you ask how the weapon ended up a block away. Did one of the dead guys put it there?"Kellam could have picked it up when he ran. Not too likely. But I know I don't think too clearly under extreme stress.

costello 7 years, 2 months ago

KSA 38-2369(1): " (1) Violent Offenders. (A) The violent offender I is defined as an offender adjudicated as a juvenile offender for an offense which, if committed by an adult, would constitute an off-grid felony. Offenders in this category may be committed to a juvenile correctional facility for a minimum term of 60 months and up to a maximum term of the offender reaching the age of 22 years, six months. The aftercare term for this offender is set at a minimum term of six months and up to a maximum term of the offender reaching the age of 23 years. " (B) The violent offender II is defined as an offender adjudicated as a juvenile offender for an offense which, if committed by an adult, would constitute a nondrug level 1, 2 or 3 felony. Offenders in this category may be committed to a juvenile correctional facility for a minimum term of 24 months and up to a maximum term of the offender reaching the age 22 years, six months. The aftercare term for this offender is set at a minimum term of six months and up to a maximum term of the offender reaching the age of 23 years."

stuckinthemiddle 7 years, 2 months ago

geniusmannumber1 I never said the concept was anything new...and placating the public with vengeance goes much farther back... at least a couple of thousand years (read the old testament)... and likely it goes back tens of thousands of years... it truly is cave man stuff...

jumpin_catfish 7 years, 2 months ago

I think all of our actions have consequences.

Confrontation 7 years, 2 months ago

As a Baker grad, my thoughts are with the Baker community. With such a small campus, I'm sure that Roland was known and respected by many. Thanks for the post, uwish1020.

monkeyspunk 7 years, 2 months ago

My gut reaction is outrage toward this guy, but like so many who have rightly pointed out, we don't know what happened here. Here is a theory, what if Hauk pressured this kid into going with him? What if Hauk and Roland killed each other and this kid was just a bystander, in the wrong place at the wrong time? Probably not totally innocent, but not totally culpable either.I am not saying any of this is true, but it just points out how little the public knows about this case and ill prepared we are to pass any judgement on the situation.

juscin3 7 years, 2 months ago

Costello,Hmm..maybe they are twins...lol Really, we do have family counseling and it seems like we get no where with it. The gal just wants to hear our problems, then is ready to leave and tells us that the next meeting we will work on it. Well, that was a month ago. She either doesn't show up, meaning no call/no show OR something comes up where she can't come to the meeting AND he gets peed off and walks out of the room. So, we have gotten no where. When she came last week, it was basically how ya doin, whats been goin on, and playing a game of cards. Doesn't seem like anything is getting done to me. He is a typical teenager and when he makes us mad he will forget about it within 5 mins. and then wonder why you are so mad. That we have learned. He just wants to have his freedom, but yet doesn't want any responsibility. He thinks he should roam around town and do whatever he wants. It has gotten to the point that his proby officer put him on parental house arrest. Can't go anywhere without an adult, no incoming or outgoing phone calls. This will be for 2 weeks, then it will be back to like it was. The proby officer can threaten him and he will have the "I don't care attitude." But yet he doesn't want to go to JDC. We have done our part and its aggrivating to no end that he just sits there and doesn't do his share. His grades have deffinately shown it as well as the attitude.In one ear and out the other I say.

Janet Bates 7 years, 2 months ago

My son was a victim of a robbery at his apartment in Lawrence less than 2 years ago, having a gun held to his head. He had expressed following the incident that he "wished he had a gun", that things might have turned out differently. I am so grateful that he did not have a gun and that he did what he was told to do by the thugs that robbed him. Hopefully the courts will do their job and there will be justice for Roland and his family.

geniusmannumber1 7 years, 2 months ago

Oh, boy. Turning into another banal god/no god thread. shuts off monitor

rlmtyco 7 years, 2 months ago

Yeah me either, I think if they are tried as a juvenile they can only be held so long, in a perfect world I would like him to be tried as an adult but sentenced as a juvenile. Have him go to Juvi jail for like 2 years then spend about 10-15 in real prison

dweezil222 7 years, 2 months ago

costello, you're right, court-appointeds generally don't have a ton of money for experts and such, but the situation is much better than it once was. Especially when you consider that the alternative is that Jones would otherwise not have a lawyer because he likely couldn't pay for one, and even if he could, probably wouldn't have even what money the court-appointed attorney will get for exhibits because private attorneys pass the cost on to the client, as a general rule.

kugrad 7 years, 2 months ago

Shardwurm, apparently a village rasied you, and a rude one at that.

freighttrain221 7 years, 2 months ago

This kid threw his life away. Why on earth did the mom let him drop out of school? It sounds like he was lacking some badly-needed guidance. People sometimes complain that parents have no right to intrude on their kids' privacy. I disagree with that. If your kid has a MySpace page, check it out. Does he have weapons in his room? Is he doing illegal things under your roof? Who does your kid hang out with? When I was about 15, I noticed that two of my friends were starting to get into bad things: smoking pot, selling drugs. I remembered that my dad once told me, "You can tell a lot about a person by the people he hangs out with." That was enough to make me rethink my situation and find different friends. My old friends weren't bothered by it because they figured I was a bit square anyway since I didn't get involved in their "drug fun." In the twenty years since, one of them served time in federal prison for dealing coke. He got time knocked off his sentence by ratting-out his supplier...which gave him a whole new set of problems to deal with upon his release. Some years after his release, one of my family members saw him holding a "Will work for food" sign at a freeway exit. The other friend developed an addiction and spent time in and out of rehab facilities. Last I heard, he was clean and working as a union electrician, which is great news. I liked both of those guys but I just didn't want to walk the same path that they were taking. I think the difference is that they came from families where the parents let them do whatever they wanted and didn't care if they stayed out all night. My parents, on the other hand, laid down some rules and guidelines. I resented it at first but, looking back, I'm glad they did so.

Tammy Yergey 7 years, 2 months ago

No doubt what this boy is accused of doing is horrible, but he is innocent until proven guilty in this great country of ours. As a parent though, you can get all the help from all kind of services, but unless the child/teenager is willing to change, it isn't going to work. You cannot force them to change. It is very sad. And as for WRAP, at least the community is trying to help kids in need. Not every program is going to save every kid. But if we can help some, it is worth it.

costello 7 years, 2 months ago

Another famous teen murderer was the mystery writer Anne Perry. She and a friend killed the friend's mother. It was a vicious, premeditated attack. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_PerryShe was released from prison at 21 and has led an exemplary life since.

loki8025 7 years, 2 months ago

sure jimmibling, sure I am on it. I BELIEVE . I AM A SHEEP WITH NO MIND FOR HIMSELF. I NEED TO CONFORM AND BELIEVE. BAAAA BAAAA. DO YOU HEAR THAT? I THINK I HAVE SOME SHEEP IN THE BACKYARD THAT ARE INTERESTED ALSO BAAAA BAAA. LISTEN TO THE "GOOD BOOK" DON'T LISTEN TO LOGIC OR COMMON SENSE. BAAAA BAAAA BAAAA

Haiku_Cuckoo 7 years, 2 months ago

I've tried to get my son into both of these programs. Long waiting lists.======Kudos to you for trying. Don't give up! I think there are other youth programs available in East Lawrence as well.

Nikki May 7 years, 2 months ago

People have alluded to the guy who lived in the house not being so good in the previous comments. I don't know if that's true as I don't know the guy. BUT, we will never know the real story at this rate. I agree that it's wrong that they are not focusing on the victim. Maybe they are trying to corrupt the jury pool?

costello 7 years, 2 months ago

"Craig Stancliff is an excellent attorney and been practicing law a long time. I don't think some folks understand how the court appointed attorneys deal works."I agree, but my understanding was that court-appointed attorneys have very limited funds for experts and other expenses.

crazyeddie 7 years, 2 months ago

Let us also hope that this area's extreme liberal bias does not infect the DA's office decision when it comes to trying Mr. Jones as an adult. Nothing wrong with liberalism, but I do think we are a touch too sensitive at times!

stuckinthemiddle 7 years, 2 months ago

jafsI agree..."felony murder" is one of those ridiculous piling-on charges designed to make things easier for prosecutors and placate the public's need to have some one to blame...

geniusmannumber1 7 years, 2 months ago

""felony murder" is one of those ridiculous piling-on charges designed to make things easier for prosecutors and placate the public's need to have some one to blame:"Felony murder has been the law for a lot longer than formal "prosecutors" have existed, and a lot longer the concept of a "public" who needs to be "placated." If we set the date of both at around the late-18th century, felony murder predates these concepts by about 600-700 years.

Bob Forer 7 years, 2 months ago

I am not postive, costello. Could be 23. Its been years since I had anything to do with the juvenile justice system.

MattressMan 7 years, 2 months ago

Yeah punkrockmom, they're trying to corrupt the jury pool as just as much as the defense by having the mother say "he said, mom I didn't do it" to the media.Dropped out of school then killed somebody, boy that Bert Nash WRAP program worked well in this case didn't it? How about we increase taxes and maybe we can have one WRAP worker for every student. Maybe that would help.

kujayhawk 7 years, 2 months ago

Sorry mom, your kid sounds like a thug. I hope he gets what he deserves.

costello 7 years, 2 months ago

"Here is a theory, what if Hauk pressured this kid into going with him? What if Hauk and Roland killed each other and this kid was just a bystander, in the wrong place at the wrong time? Probably not totally innocent, but not totally culpable either."Yeah, I've considered that too.We simply don't know what happened. Some of us seem to picture the two boys kicking down the door and rushing into the house, guns blazing. Others seem to picture a couple of little boys wandering in for a visit, inexplicably holding loaded guns, possibly tripping and accidently killing one another. The truth is probably somewhere in between.We'll just have to hear what Jones says and the evidence shows.

Bladerunner 7 years, 2 months ago

Well Monkeyspunk..Your what if......is shot down when you ask how the weapon ended up a block away. Did one of the dead guys put it there?

gweezy 7 years, 2 months ago

Well its a sad case because lives were lost in a senseless matter. Its good to know they weren't Black and from Topeka or KC as all you LJWorld readers predicted. Wow! white kids can be hoodlums and thugs too. Who'd have thought?

loki8025 7 years, 2 months ago

ok genius, lets start another one of your Felony Murder charge conversation?

littlegrace 7 years, 2 months ago

none2 I am not defending any killer 10 years old or 20. I would expect any crime such as you describe would be punished bt natural life in prison.

OzChicklet 7 years, 2 months ago

Roland sounds like an awesome person. However, when you live in a drug house with guns, you are placing yourself in a precarious situation, whether or not you are involved in distribution.

costello 7 years, 2 months ago

"Actually there are guidance programs in place. Big Brothers/Big Sisters and Van-Go Mobile Arts are just two of them. Why didn't his parents get him involved in those programs?"I've tried to get my son into both of these programs. Long waiting lists.

Bob Forer 7 years, 2 months ago

Lets not forget all the priests that molested children. God really helped them. And so did the Catholic hierarchy.

Bob Forer 7 years, 2 months ago

Thanks crazycatlady. There is dearth of information about the victim on these pages. He deserves to have his good nature revealed.

costello 7 years, 2 months ago

Yeah, I certainly didn't intend to dog on Craig Stancliffe. It was the money for the extras that I assumed would be lacking.

uwish1020 7 years, 2 months ago

I understand where many of you are coming from displaying quite an interest in what may have occurred at this residence, but we are forgetting a major piece of information here. ROLAND KLUNDT DIED. For those that didn't have the opportunity to meet this amazing guy let me give you some background. I had this pleasure of being in a couple of his classes and living down the hall from him in the dorms at Baker, this guy was one of the nicest people i met there. Granted he wasn't as outspoken or nearly as loud as i am, but he was always ready to give a smile or a shy hello when you saw him on campus. He was very smart and more than willing to help when i was struggling with my math homework, and yet never made me feel dumb when i couldn't find the right answer. HIs sweet demeanor and kind heart are going to be missed by all of us that he touched during his short time at Baker. He truly was a giving person:) Now I do not care what went on at that house that night, those kids had no business being out past midnight with the city curfew, where were their parents? Honestly, it should have been the first clue to Jone's mother that her child was troubled when he dropped out of high school. Yeah he may be a "good kid" but honestly what kind of "good kid" is out that late at night, fleeing on foot after a major crime has occurred. Any normal person would have called 911 had they witnessed their friend murder another human being, let alone going over there with the intention of robbing Roland. I am not trying to judge anyone or any family on the basis that they raise their children, but it is hard to sit back and watch people defend little murderers after they have brutally taken another life that we all at Baker found to be so precious. I would hope that everyone recognizes how such a strong human being fought to live his life and never takes that for granted. Even in death we will see who gets the last laugh, I hope you go away for a long time Mr. Jones. If taking the life of another person is what you felt you had to do to be succesful, then i hope you realize you are no better than the criminals you are being grouped in with. Roland was a kind hearted human being and would have never done to you what you and your little friend did to him that god awful night. RIP ROLAND, Baker lost a really great person; but thank you for allowing us into your life for the short time you were with us. <3 your Baker Friend

jimmibling 7 years, 2 months ago

God was in the same place He was when his Son Jesus died on the cross for us.and HE didnt stop that because Christ was able to choose just like we are.Just call on him and beleve.

crazyeddie 7 years, 2 months ago

I just fear that if he is tried as a juvenile, he won't serve anything close to ten to fifteen. I am not an expert when it comes to law, though.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 7 years, 2 months ago

"As a parent though, you can get all the help from all kind of services, but unless the child/teenager is willing to change, it isn't going to work. You cannot force them to change. It is very sad."See... I don't like this post. It references the system, and even puts blame on the child, but without a lot of discussion about the value of parenting. The equation of good behavior includes more factors than just "services" and "willing child". This reeks of "what am I supposed to do?"

Shardwurm 7 years, 2 months ago

"Too bad society (WE) didn't help him out with some guidance ahead of time. Just remember that when some of you vote not to fund programs that help kids like this before they get involved in similar situations!"Oh please just shut up.I'm really glad you're a former Kansas teacher because this kind of liberal crap is all-to-common around here as it is. I've got news for you - all the money in the world and all the 'caring' society members you care to throw out will NEVER stop people from going bad.They've been doing it since the beginning of time...and holding hands and singing songs isn't going to keep them from making bad choices. It takes a Village to raise an idiot - and the more the village tries to do that the more idiots we're going to have.

jafs 7 years, 2 months ago

The laws about felony murder are a little odd, it seems to me.If, for example, the other kid actually killed the guy, he is the one responsible, as far as I'm concerned.The person hanging around trying to rob someone is certainly guilty of something, but not murder.

JoRight 7 years, 2 months ago

I think there is a pretty clear cut line from "getting in trouble with your buddies" to "going into a house that is not yours, armed and ready for action." If you don't know by the age of 16 that committing armed robbery / being an accomplice in armed robbery could mean that someone ends up dead, then I don't know when you're going to learn.The two robbers were going to end up in the system regardless, it just sucks that an "innocent" (regardless if they were trying to rob him of drugs) man lost his life.In the end, there's a clear cut conscious differences in these sorts of crimes as opposed to speeding or selling drugs etc

geniusmannumber1 7 years, 2 months ago

None2:That was kind of tongue in cheek. I remember sophomore year or so chatting with someone who'd been in the system 5-6 years earlier, and we got to talking about the reputations of the various halls. "What about the guys in Hall A?" "They're kind of geeks. Never leave their rooms." "No way! They used to be like Animal House, without the class!" "No, that's kind of like Hall B. They've got a lot of ladies in and out." "Really? Those guys talk to girls now?" My buddy's brother was in about 5 years after me, and it was the same kind of story: "Wait, my hall's the geek hall now?"

OzChicklet 7 years, 2 months ago

I don't understand all the discussion about getting a real attorney. Craig Stancliff is an excellent attorney and been practicing law a long time. I don't think some folks understand how the court appointed attorneys deal works.Additionally, we don't have all the facts, so really all this talk is irrelevant. Something to think about though - why would a "good kid" be living in a known drug house and have a gun? Even "bad people" have good qualities.

Bob Forer 7 years, 2 months ago

Finally, a post from someone who apparently knew Roland somewhat well. Thank you, uwish. I am sorry for your loss. Sounds like he was a treasured friend. If the 16 year old is guilty, he needs to do a serious stretch of time in prison. I agree that putting a very young man behind bars won't do him any good. But we need to remember that prison is no longer about rehabilitation. Its about protecting society, and also about punishment and retribution. Sentencing him under the juvenile code, which will mean his release at age 21, would not only be disrespectful to the life and memory of Roland, but it would also be a slap in the face to all who value life. LIfe is precious, and taking a life needlessly and violently should have severe consequences.

jafs 7 years, 2 months ago

Shard,I disagree.Children at risk can certainly be helped by a combination of good parenting and other support systems.Why wouldn't we want to do what we can to prevent such tragedies?As a society, I hate to see us choose to support courts and prisons rather than preventive programs.

Bob Forer 7 years, 2 months ago

Good points. I agree. We'd like to know more bout the good kid, Roland. Let's not forget that he and his family are the only real victim in this case.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 7 years, 2 months ago

"The rifle being found a block away probally cancels out the "shootout" thorey."Clearly you are not a member of the CSI Super-Fan Club. They shot the place up, then probably attempted to ditch the gun in a storm drain down the block.All this SPECULATION is making me sick... but I can't help but join in. I think the 18 year old sucked an impressionable kid into going somewhere to do something, then things got out of hand before the kid realized he was in the wrong place with the wrong dude. Every post is "the accused is a great kid" and "the dude in the house was a great guy". I have a feeling he's really the root of all this, and that's why the kid is entering a not-guilty plea.

characteristic 7 years, 2 months ago

See the BCC Christopher Martin vs. Smith case in 1994.

geniusmannumber1 7 years, 2 months ago

Having trouble buying your story none2. My experience with the schol halls is that everyone knew the guys selling pot. They were popular guys.

OzChicklet 7 years, 2 months ago

none2 (Anonymous) says: "That reminds me of my days in the Scholarship Halls system at KU. We didn't realize it, but we later found out that one of the guys was selling pot to young people to help pay for his college. I guess some people will do anything to better themselves with a college education even if it means stooping to that level."_____Did you have guns in the scholarship halls? What happened to Federal Student Loans? Part time jobs? It took me many years to complete my degree at KU because I worked my way through without help from my family. Drug money is easy money. You want easy money, you take the risks involved and the consequences.

formerksteacher 7 years, 2 months ago

Why do people think that 10-15 years in jail would fix this 16yr old, anyway? I agree that he deserves punishment if he's guilty - absolutely. But I just don't see how locking up a sixteen year old, no matter how "bad" he already is, especially with a bunch of guys who are already set in their ways on the side of violence and self-preservation will make the kid any better a person, and therefore SOCIETY any better once he gets out. We need a more effective system for rehabilitation afer crimes. Too bad society (WE) didn't help him out with some guidance ahead of time. Just remember that when some of you vote not to fund programs that help kids like this before they get involved in similar situations!

loki8025 7 years, 2 months ago

Let us pray? did I actually read that right? God? Where was god when those two boys were going to the house? WHERE WAS GOD WHEN THE BASTARDS PULLED THE TRIGGER? GOD GOD GOD PRAY PRAY PRAY. Just another excuse to sit on your behind and pretend that you are helping the world or your community. I am trying real hard not to rip on anyones religion. This is the friggn USA and you have the right to be who ever you want or worship who ever you want. It wasn't GOD IT WAS FRIGGN GAGE AND KELLUM THAT DECIDED TO DO THIS CRAP. I PRAY. I PRAY THAT JUSTICE IS DONE AND SOMEONE PAYS FOR WHAT HE DID. I PRAY THAT RELIGION DOESN'T CLOUD THE MINDS OF POTENTIAL JURORS AND I PRAY THAT THERE WILL ALWAYS BE A SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE.

rlmtyco 7 years, 2 months ago

too bad he got a court appointed lawyer, his parents should take a little more interest in their childs future and invest some money in a real lawyer.

crazyeddie 7 years, 2 months ago

That seems pretty reasonable to me. I guess we'll see how it plays out. In the mean time, I am sure we will see a flurry of heated debate on here. The discourse is very entertaining! I only wish the discussions were face-to-face. Additionally, I'm still kinda wound up about the first point I made about not the lack of coverage on Roland and the general coverage/discussion pertaining to the matter. We should be clear about a few issues:1) Only one person was murdered.2) CC Permits have nothing to do with this.3) Ultimately, guns do not fire on their own. B/W this and yesterday's article about "hidden heat" - gun bashing in Lawrence is nearing an all-time high!

ebyrdstarr 7 years, 2 months ago

wow, none2. Just wow.I've tried several times to craft a response that would reasonably and accurately express the depth of my moral outrage at your fairly casual suggestion that ten year-olds should be executed. But I am failing to find the words.I would just question how you have any claim to moral superiority over those ten year-olds when your grown adult response to their atrocious actions is to respond in kind and then justify it by saying, "They did it first!" What a childish, playground attitude.

Dunnergirl 7 years, 2 months ago

Why the crud dont any of you guys care about Roland.... i went to jr high and high school with the kid... and he will be missed by soooooooooo many people... why not some respect insted of arguing for gods sake...

OzChicklet 7 years, 2 months ago

To Costello and Juscin and anyone with a difficult teen - If you have the means, take/send your child on a 'vacation" to Nepal, Burma, Haiti (closer), or other 3rd world country for a couple weeks (more if you can). Oh, and no foo-foo hotel. I think what they will see, smell, hear, and experience may fix the problem.

Bone777 7 years, 2 months ago

You could tell this kid was gonna be trouble by the....shape of his head.

costello 7 years, 2 months ago

Parenting is very, very hard work. And some kids are just harder than others. And some people have life circumstances that are tougher than others. I've been around long enough to see that you can't tell how well a person was parented by looking at the final product. Good parents can have their kids go wrong, and bad parents sometimes produce fantastic children who grow into happy, productive adults.Parenting, genetics, external influences, personal choices all play a part.Since I don't know any of these boys' parents, I'm not going to judge them.

geniusmannumber1 7 years, 2 months ago

stuckinthemiddle--It hinges, I suppose, on what you consider "the public". In the context of mid-late medieval England, you would "placate" the vast majority of the people, should they become unruly, by killing a good deal of them (or granting a small concession to buy time to raise militias and then killing a good deal of them). The concept would vary if the context were Greece, Rome, Ancient Israel, etc. But I would argue that law enforcement dependent on the will of the people didn't practically occur until sometime in the 18th century--whether you want to give that credit to the UK, the US, or revolutionary France. My primary quibble with your statement is that you claimed the felony murder law/statute was "designed" for the purposes which you state.I would additionally argue that the primary purpose behind the law is one of deterrence, not retribution.(Look, I get to have my silly little esoteric debate after all!)

Baille 7 years, 2 months ago

"I would additionally argue that the primary purpose behind the law is one of deterrence, not retribution."Would that always be true in fact as it may be in academia. Unfortunately, we have found that the death penalty persists even thought it has been shown to have no significant deterrent effect. For proponents of the death, it is more about the feeling than the effect.

crazyeddie 7 years, 2 months ago

Why has there been such little mention of the victim (Klundt)? He is a hero in my book and deserves more than the last paragraph of every article. I am quite sick and tired of the LJW and its friends defending the criminals or talking about how they weren't so bad...etc.! It's time to wake up and realize that good kids don't break into houses at three A.M., armed! So how 'bout a piece about Roland?

DMH1983 7 years, 2 months ago

jimmibling 7 years, 2 months ago

HeY!! People it's a sad story for everyone. all three familys the city of lawrence, and the state of kansas, The USA and THE WHOLE WORLD!Our kids are in trouble every where. Lets stop knocking each other, our bashing each other and his poor mom I won't do any good ,what you think and what I think wont change the out come. I am shure she right now Is going overy every misstake and what if , she made in his life trying to make sence of this tragedy, that made all of us victoms, Lets pray to GOD that things get better ask him to bless our kids and us as Adults with his wisdom and guide us to be better people all arround and in every aspect of our lives.

costello 7 years, 2 months ago

"Where is Kellam's father?"Good question. A dad could be a very calming influence. Especially as his grandpa just died a couple of months ago.

costello 7 years, 2 months ago

juscin says: "Really, we do have family counseling and it seems like we get no where with it. The gal just wants to hear our problems, then is ready to leave and tells us that the next meeting we will work on it. Well, that was a month ago. She either doesn't show up, meaning no call/no show OR something comes up where she can't come to the meeting"Wow! You need a new therapist. I adopted my son almost 4 years ago. We've been through 5 therapists. We're on 6 and 7 now - one for family and the other for group and individual. If it's not working, it may be time to move on."AND he gets peed off and walks out of the room."Mine doesn't do that. He used to become threatening and aggressive to end the session. Now he just pretends he's really tired and needs a nap. :-)"So, we have gotten no where. When she came last week, it was basically how ya doin, whats been goin on, and playing a game of cards. Doesn't seem like anything is getting done to me."Trying to build a trusting relationship with your son so she can work with him. Therapy usually depends on a trusting relationship between the therapist and the client. It can take a while to build that trust. For my son, it hasn't worked, and now we have a therapist who is very direct."He is a typical teenager and when he makes us mad he will forget about it within 5 mins. and then wonder why you are so mad."Yeah, mine does that too."He just wants to have his freedom, but yet doesn't want any responsibility."Mine too."He thinks he should roam around town and do whatever he wants."Mine would if he could get to town. We're in the country."It has gotten to the point that his proby officer put him on parental house arrest. Can't go anywhere without an adult, no incoming or outgoing phone calls."Cool. Except 2 weeks isn't long enough. Needs to be until he's 25 or 30."The proby officer can threaten him and he will have the 'I don't care attitude.'"Same here."But yet he doesn't want to go to JDC."Mine says he doesn't care.Good luck to you.

rlmtyco 7 years, 2 months ago

I have mixed feelings about trying juveniles as adults. As a person who got into trouble as a youth and most of friends which were in trouble as youths, I strongly believe that just because you made mistakes when you were younger and not fully mature doesnt mean you will not turn out as a productive member of society. When most people are 16 they still believe they are invisible and nobody can tell they anything. I am not defending the boy but dont believe he should spend the rest of his life in jail because of something he did when he was 16 regardless of how bad it was. I have friends that were huge druggies, doing coke, acid and weed in high school when we were 15 and 16, robbing people, breaking into houses, carrying guns and got into a few fights involving stabbing people....well one of the guys who dropped out of high school, ended up graduating from KU with a 4.0, went to KU med and graduated grad school with a 4.0 and now is a Physical Therapist, another graduated KU with honors, and etc etc......Likewise there are a few that are still drunks and getting into petty stuff but nothing that is just horrible to society. I say make him spend 10-15 years in jail for this and let him out, He is only 16, their is a reason they just allowed him to have driving priveleages recently

costello 7 years, 2 months ago

juscin3 says: "OldEnuf2BYurDad says: 'As a parent ...'" Actually I think OldEnuf was disagreeing with this statement from another poster. :-)"We have a 16 yr old that thinks he knows everything, but yet if we were to let him just go and live on his own, he would have problems."Are you raising my son's twin? ;-)"To avoid conflict we just let him do what ever the heck he wants. He has been in trouble more than once and this last time he is bailing himself out."I pretty much try to keep a tight control on my kid. It's almost impossible to do, though, and it gets harder as he gets older.It's a good idea to make him bail himself out."Counselor just comes in and gets in the business that doesn't need be. They need to work with the kid and get things solved instead of coming into your home and acting like they are your friend and just doesn't do anything. Our kid is very manipulitve (sp?) and will say and do what he thinks you want to hear."My kid's manipulative too. I think, though, that the counselor may need to work with the whole family, not just the child. My son has individual, group, and family therapy. I attend group and family with him, and I have to do the work too. You can't just hand your kid to the therapist and expect them to fix him and hand him back to you. If you don't like this therapist, why not try another?Good luck with your son. Just pray he doesn't get into any real trouble between now and the time his brain starts working. ;-)

igby 7 years, 2 months ago

I have a hunch there's more to his arrest than we know. There may be others who were there. May be, several others involved. The DA may have a weak case if the lab work shows different results as well as prints.

littlegrace 7 years, 2 months ago

Felony murder charges were designed to cover situations where a person is indirectly responsible. The first case I recall hearing about several year ago involved a rapist who hog tied a woman and gagged her with a sock. The woman was alive after the crime but due to being tied was unable to remove the sock from her throat and ended up choking to death while trying to free herself. The case was in another state that uses the death penalty so the man was executed for the crime. I cannot think of a case where a child has been executed in the past several years and would hope that would never happen anywhere for any reason.I can only image how it must feel to be a mother whose child was killed or has killed another the devestation this crime has left is unfathonable. I can tell you all my children are trying to grasp the whole thing vasilating between shock and disbelief. Our phone has been ringing off the hook at all hours. Kids who knew Roland and Kellam are unsure how to feel they are torn between two friends and thier loss of both. I contacted a Therapist to assist my child with his grief and confusion about all of this. I have talked with other mothers about this and while we have better reasoning abilities it is still difficult to make any sense of it all. A few of us agreed to alter the phone rules to allow the kids to talk out their feeling with each other as they feel the need to. Two nights ago my kid woke me up in the middle of the night to ask me if I remembered when he and Kellam won a prize at the science fair for thier project. I suppose he was trying to remember something good but that was enough to keep me from going back to sleep. I feel as if I should be doing something besides blogging about all this and expressing how sorry I am for those who are in so much pain as a result of the crime but I do not know what I can do.

costello 7 years, 2 months ago

"Sentencing him under the juvenile code, which will mean his release at age 21"I thought juveniles could be held until age 23.

Steve Jacob 7 years, 2 months ago

He is accused of taking a gun into a house to rob it, and shot the person living there. How can anyone say he should be not be charged as an adult? Sure you can give juvenile's a break, but what he is accused of unforgivable.

mom_of_three 7 years, 2 months ago

So many things missing from this story. not enough information to make any sort of judgement call about the kid or his parents. He's still 16 and innocent until proven guilty.

whatupdown 7 years, 2 months ago

yourworstnightmare 7 years, 2 months ago

It is frightening that these "bad elements" are invading Lawrence and killing people with their guns and lack of respect for common decency and life.It is enough to make one blanche and go WHITE. However, when I think about it, my face gets RED and the anger tingles on the back of my NECK when I think of the "bad elements" that are invading Lawrence.The city should really think about closing down the Flamingo and Allstars, as well as Walmart, businesses that attract these "bad elements".

Steve Jacob 7 years, 2 months ago

"Police recovered a shotgun in the house and a rifle about a block away."The rifle being found a block away probally cancels out the "shootout" thorey. We probally just all need to chill until the trial. I do hope they find out who sold/gave the gun used in the kill Mr. Klundt. They have alot of questions to answer too.

ksdivakat 7 years, 2 months ago

ok so I have to chime in and give my humble opinion on the parenting situation here and with this generation of kids. All these kids, 17,18, and 19 y/o's are the "gaming" generation, in other words, alot of parents sat their kids in front of ninetendo's, playstations, etc....and used those games as the babysitter so the parent didnt have to be bothered, or when the kid threw a tantrum the parent got a new game to shut the kid up....these are the kids who are now becoming adults and they have no clue what morals and values are.I know kids who can beat out a game on PS3, but cant pass a simple elementary level math test.....These kids are so disrespectful to adults, point in case. the 16 y/o hoodlum who got out on mass st and beat the woman for honking her horn cause the girl was blocking the street! And i could go on with countless stories of rude, disrespectful teenagers and young adults now.Parents dont discipline their kids because its just easier not to, to not deal with the drama the kid is going to create.Im a parent of 3 teenage girls and i can assure you that they have never been propped up in front of a game, nor has the TV been used to babysit, and I have done my best to teach them right from wrong and respect for others, however, even in the best of circumstances that doesnt always work, eventually they have their own free will, but I can tell you this, all my girls know the consequences of being disrespectful to any adult at any time, and they will tell you its not pretty, so at least they know. Im by no means a perfect parent, ive made plenty of mistakes, and probably always will, Im just saying, that we as parents have created this society of kids who are disrespectful and unruly and we need to take responsibility for it.Having said that, this man, jones, became a man the moment he put a gun in anothers mans face and blew his head off.....but hes being coddled by his mommy and thats not going to do him any good when he gets to prison and mets bubba. all this of course is JMHO.........

cms 7 years, 2 months ago

Doesn't Lawrence have a curfew and if so, doesn't the mother, or the boy's parents, have some responsibility? The question is not to displace responsibility.

juscin3 7 years, 2 months ago

OldEnuf2BYurDad says: "As a parent though, you can get all the help from all kind of services, but unless the child/teenager is willing to change, it isn't going to work. You cannot force them to change. It is very sad." I have to agree on this. We have a 16 yr old that thinks he knows EVERYTHING, but yet if we were to let him just go and live on his own, he would have problems. We have had ALOT of talks with him and also people from counseling and even his proby officer. He won't listen. He just says that "he knows what he is doing." He has the "I don't care attitude." When it comes to the law, we as parents are "limited" to what we can do and what we can't do. If we were to spank his butt, he can go and say we are abusing him. To avoid conflict we just let him do what ever the hell he wants. He has been in trouble more than once and this last time he is bailing himself out. He has to pay for his court fines, his juvie fines etc. We are not going to bail him out anymore. It's very sad that this kid is smart and knows right from wrong, but he chooses to be lazy and not give a crap about anything or anyone but himself. His father has tried and tried, but to no avail, we pretty much have given up on him. He seems to think that by dropping out of school he will get the job he wants to go after. Can't have a good paying job when you drop out of school. His father and I are very surprised that we haven't ended up in a ward from goin nuts with the stuff this kid has put us through and continues to put us through. The law doesn't really do crap about it, they just say this and that and go along their happy merry way. Counselor just comes in and gets in the business that doesn't need be. They need to work with the kid and get things solved instead of coming into your home and acting like they are your friend and just doesn't do anything. Our kid is very manipulitve (sp?) and will say and do what he thinks you want to hear. UGH!!! Seems like society doesn't really care as long as they are gettin your money and into your business thats all that matters to the subject. When we were kids, we were spanked. No law was called ever. Why can't we continue to do this? It's almost as if the kids are the adults and telling us what to do and thinkin they are the boss of the house. I can't wait for him to get out on his own and callin home because he is having problems. We know that he will realize what he done was wrong and that he should have listened. Its just frustrating that our 16 yr old is doin this kind of crap and gettin away with it because the law would end up arresting us instead of him!

ksmax 7 years, 2 months ago

I also agree that is would be nice to hear about the VICTIM he is the one that deserves to have the articles written about how good of a person he WAS, before someone decided to take his life at such a young age!

jimmibling 7 years, 2 months ago

HeY!! People it's a sad story for everyone. all three familys the city of lawrence, and the state of kansas, The USA and THE WHOLE WORLD!Our kids are in trouble every where. Lets stop knocking each other, our bashing each other and his poor mom I won't do any good ,what you think and what I think wont change the out come. I am shure she right now Is going overy every misstake and what if , she made in his life trying to make sence of this tragedy, that made all of us victims, Lets pray to GOD that things get better ask him to bless our kids and us as Adults with his wisdom and guide us to be better people all arround and in every aspect of our lives.

TheEleventhStephanie 7 years, 2 months ago

I hope that the friends of these kids involved, all of them, get counseling or whatever they need. I'll tell you from experience, losing a friend to a violent end at that age is hard as hell. It's would be hard at any age, but these are just kids. It's gonna mess with them for years...Kellam's friends too. Parents, let your kids talk about it.

costello 7 years, 2 months ago

ubehave, I'm glad your son didn't have a gun too, but I can imagine the rage and impotence he might have felt - and the fear! - that would make he say that. One of my coworkers was the victim of an armed robbery outside my place of business. He made a similar statement afterward.Having a gun at your head must be terrifying.

boxoffrogs 7 years, 2 months ago

Kam_Fong_as_Chin_Ho 7 years, 2 months ago

the 18 year old never actually entered the house and had no weapon ==========Where did you hear that? He may have been shot inside and then died as he stumbled to leave the house. I'm guessing that he was shot with his own weapon after a struggle with the home's occupant.

KanCan 7 years, 2 months ago

Roland was a student of mine at Baker University, and I can tell you that the faculty enjoyed watching him emerge from a quiet, withdrawn, soft-spoken freshman into a sociable, confident, and happy young man. The last time I saw Roland was in the cafeteria. Unlike his solitary first year at Baker, he sat amongst friends, eating, laughing and "fitting in." As a student, he faced more learning challenges than anyone can even imagine, but he never gave up. He never gave in. And he never, I mean never, avoided hard work or responsibility. Roland was on the path to being very successful, and I was proud to have been involved in helping him find that path.

PetMaster5 7 years, 2 months ago

This was not drug related. There was a beautiful stereo system in the house. Beautiful. That's what they were after. Get the facts straight people, Christ.Roland I wish I knew you better. You were always a great person around me, you only had good impressions on me and the people around you.

loki8025 7 years, 2 months ago

whatever, I stand by my post that was deleted for some reason. 1 good boy dead, 1 bad boy dead, 1 that deserves the same as the rest. and to Queabs - swift retribution indeed.

iMaMoM 7 years, 2 months ago

As a mother, I can't even fathom the unbearable pain and sorrow of having to bury your child. My heart goes out to these mother's for their loss. Regardless of the circumstance, this would be the worst thing a mother would ever have to endure. My deepest sympathy.

Danielle_Rose 7 years, 2 months ago

Totaltruth -You must understand that it is of the human nature to talk about devastating and tragic events after they have happened. There are many reasons for this. Some of us may simply want to let out the emotions we have (whether it's sadness, anger, confusion, etc.) as a result of such an event. Others talk about the event in a subtle hope that in doing so will help prevent it from replaying itself (the same reason we talk about historical tragedies such as the wars, slavery, genocide, etc). And then there are those who feel that discussing the event (and their opinions on the individuals who were involved) may help them understand the nature of the incident - why it happened. The reason we want to know why is because not only do we fear the unknown, but we are a species whom strive to have all questions answered. We tend to speculate until these questions are finally answered. Alas, we investigate these cases and discuss them in order to gather and share information in an attempt to find some sort of justice. Whether our words are truly useful or not isn't the point... it's the fact that we feel the need to talk about things that evoke our most powerful emotions.Don't be angry or concerned about the responses of our community. There is no need, because we are doing what comes natural - socializing and discussing an event and the people involved - all of which effect our emotions. I think we all feel sympathy for those who are directly effected by this event; friends and family of Roland, Gage, and Kellem. My heart goes out to them all. I can bet you, though, that they are just as curious about this situation as we are. How can they not be... when they are so clearly devastated by this? They want to know why. We all want to know the components of this tragedy, and what is to come.Finally, you cannot blame the LJWorld for our comments. As you can read above:"LJWorld.com doesn't necessarily condone the comments here, nor does it review every post.Read our full policy. Also, read about banned accounts and harassing comments."Also, if you are truly offended by someone's post, you can "suggest removal" - there is a reason why LJWorld has placed this link next to every single post.Anyway, no hard feelings. I just felt I needed to say this... maybe it will help people understand why all this "bashing and bantering" is going on.

Dunnergirl 7 years, 2 months ago

thank you somebody is talking about Roland for once..... i remeber going to school with him and his bro and it breakes my heart that this happend and what Levi must be going throught is terrible... dont let Roland die in vain people... hes gone forever because he desided to stand up for whats his... he paid a terrible price. but i will always remeber him as a quiet natured smart as crud kid who was always looking out for the better of otheres before himself.

workinghard 7 years, 2 months ago

juscin3 and Costello---Try and see if your kids qualify for job corp. There is one in Manhattan. If nothing else they will learn a trade to support themselves.

littlegrace 7 years, 2 months ago

jdmc The diffrence there is the other two vroke into Roland's home.

juscin3 7 years, 2 months ago

Oz, lol@the different places to send him. He had gone to jdc for almost a month and he said he wanted to come home after just a couple of days of being there. He had changed once he came home, but that only lasted not even a month. He went right back to where he was before.I have thought about job corp, but not sure when. He is on probation for a year. He was even to have at least a C on all of his grades and he got F's on all but 3 classes. He even flunked seminar which is a study hall class. That should tell ya something there!It's been really hard for us for the past 6 yrs and feel like we are gettin no where w/the boy. It is funny how he comes across thinking he knows everything, but when he has an easy question that needs to be answered, I just want to be a smart arse and say "hey, I thought you knew everything?!?!?" LOLHe is supposed to be applying for jobs, last week and this week per his proby officer, but, he has only applied for 6 and 3 of them are auto type jobs. This is what he likes to do, but we have explained to him that he might not be able to get the job that he wants but yet again, he won't listen. smacks him up side his head We are tryin to prepare him for what to expect, but again, he knows EVERYTHING! LOL

totaltruth 7 years, 2 months ago

There was a time when a tragedy such as this one would happen and the entire community would rally around those left behind. After all, trashing those already gone does nothing but make life even more difficult for those who have lost loved ones. No one needs to defend anyone or knock anyone down because when it is all said and done the people who really matter are those that are left behind, they knew what these people were like and all of the negativity or praise will not change their perception of who they were. I am sure we would like to think that we added something to all of this but the only way we can do that is to shut up and talk about things we have some control over. And this is something we have absolutely no control over. It is done. Nothing is going to bring these two young men back or erase what the one still alive is going to experience in the months and years to come. Nothing is going to make the family members feel any better because at the end of the day their family member is missing from the dinner table. Personally I am extremely saddened that the LJWorld gives the opportunity to let all this bashing and bantering go on. It will certainly change the amount of money I spend buying a newspaper. After all, why spend money on a paper when other media sources we don't have to spend money on gives us the same information for free.Good luck to you all. From the sounds of these posts, you will need it. God Bless.

PetMaster5 7 years, 2 months ago

why is this kellam kid almost being glorified in the article? I just realized that....thanks Lawrence Urinal World, You've blown my mind YET AGAIN!!Still can't believe Roland is gone...If you were really close to Roland or Gage, or in his family or something...for the love of God stay far far away from this forum. Some of you are insane!

Haiku_Cuckoo 7 years, 2 months ago

"If gage was shot inside was there a blood trail leading out to the porch. "Maybe, maybe not. It depends on the size of the wound and how quickly he ran outside after being shot. Maybe there was a blood trail that was cleaned up after the cops finished investigating the crime scene.====="if he was shot with his own weapon then why would detectives say he had no weapon no finger prints on the weapons"When did detectives say that his fingerprints weren't found on any weapons?

littlegrace 7 years, 2 months ago

Kancan that was really nice and it speaks volumes when it comes from a instructor.

igby 7 years, 2 months ago

jdmc: Suppose Rolland fired at Gage just as he was getting his face blown off. The people across the street said there was rapid gun fire like fire crackers.

Danielle_Rose 7 years, 2 months ago

This is all such a tragedy... the way it all played out just shocks and frightens me even more. What scares me is the fact that this horrific event took place in our town - which I usually feel safe in. And of course... the more significant reason as to why this upsets me is that I knew who Roland Klundt was.As most who knew him have already stated before, Roland was a quiet, calm and highly intelligent individual. From the times I have seen him at Lawrence High School (a couple of years back) I noticed how non-confrontational he was. He simply seemed like a peaceful guy with his own goals and hopes, who avoided drama and kept striving to create his future.Then this all came out of no where, and it is a shock for us all. I care not to talk about the court and the suspect at this time. I care not to discuss what may or may not have happened that devastating morning. This may be an article dedicated to the set of the Jone's trial... but right now I can't even think about that. Rather, I want to reflect on Roland Klundt. He is fine man, an intelligent man, and an extremely brave man. My heart goes out to his family and all others who knew him... just continue to hold on to his memories and charish the fact that you got to be in the life of this one brilliant individual who's life was stolen. Roland, R.I.P. Right now I'm looking at your pictures in the yearbooks. This should not have happened to you. You will be remembered - by the community. By us.- - -

loki8025 7 years, 2 months ago

Baille 7 years, 2 months ago

"the news doesn't know much..."That's probably true."...and if they do know something, chances are they probably arnt allowed to share it with the public.""...just trying to explain that the newspaper is only allowed to publish what the public is allowed to know. "What? That is not the role of a free press in a free society.

themrs 7 years, 2 months ago

I totally understand where all of you guys are coming from. Let me give you my point of view. I was introduced to Kellen about a month ago, he was a kid that lived a f***ed up life. Had to fend for himself and take care of his mother. I am not defending him in any way, If anything his mother needs to have something done to her. How are you going to let your 16 year old kid be in charge of paying HER bills. At that time their elecetric was shut off. I feel like what he did was TOTALLY WRONG. Just remember that he is a child, a child that had to grow up way to fast. He put him self in that situation going over to the house but lets face it people he was scared and acted out of fear. I feel that he should be tried as a juvie. We need to start getting these children put back in their place...... so not our problem I know but these kids are our future and I think that it is our responsibility to start standing up for them. Kellem was hardly a thug. He was a sweet kid who whould bend over backwards to help his friends and family.

costello 7 years, 2 months ago

workinghard says: "juscin3 and CostelloTry and see if your kids qualify for job corp. There is one in Manhattan. If nothing else they will learn a trade to support themselves."Really good suggestion. I've seriously considered it, but I think my income is too high.

dweezil222 7 years, 2 months ago

hawkperched: oh yeah, bring back the draft, that'll be great. The under-25 population of Canada will quadruple in less than a month.hockmano: Even if this was drug-related, it's just another perfect example of why prohibition is not the solution. Nobody goes armed to someone's house looking to score some when they can just trot down to the convenience store and score some dope.

workinghard 7 years, 2 months ago

I see the mother has now made her myspace page private. For those that did get to see it, you have to admit it was not what you would expect of a mother of a 16 yr old to have out there for the world to see, much less her son. I wonder what effect it had on him, or if it bothered him to have his friends see it. It could not have been easy for him, doesn't excuse what he did but if I had met him before the shooting, I probably would have felt sorry for him. Read the obituary for the grandfather, went to school with his boys, he sounded like an amazing man, too bad some of it didn't carry over to his daughter. I'm sorry but I have no sympathy for parents that do not give at least 75% to the privilege of being a parent. If you don't want the obligation and work that goes with it, don't get pregnant or put the baby up for adoption. The father has never been mentioned but he is scum for not taking responsibility for the boy when the mother obviously couldn't. Again sorry for the rant, but neglectful parents really get to me.

brunette7 7 years, 2 months ago

It's amazing to me how people can state such opinions without even knowing the details. LJworld reports what they are ALLOWED to report. I'm sure that more things will unravel in time with the court hearing and such. And before making comments about the mother and why she let this or that happen, maybe think a little more and acknowledge that unseen events are taking place and you're not aware of the whole story... the only awareness you have is of what you've read and choose to believe. I noticed that even the grandfathers obituary was linked just to prove a point. It seems a lot of people on here spend all day just writing nonsense under any and every article they can find to rant about just to prove a bunch of points that they can only back up with what the media knows... and don't kid yourself, the news doesn't know much and if they do know something, chances are they probably arnt allowed to share it with the public. My heart goes out to the families who have lost loved ones... and i'm not trying to take away from their memory... just trying to explain that the newspaper is only allowed to publish what the public is allowed to know. So don't expect to have an "insiders advantage" on any story you read in the paper that is dedicated to the general public... it just doesnt work that way.

jdmc 7 years, 2 months ago

are people forgetting that roland did the same thing the sixteen year old did he shot and killed someone. no matter the reason he did the same thing nobody but those three knows what went on that morning and nobody ever will. I believe that the sixteen year old should be tried as an adult but if roland hadnt of died he should be tried for murder just the same. the 18 year old never actually entered the house and had no weapon so the only one roland should have had the gun pointed at is the 16 year old

Queabs 7 years, 2 months ago

Feminists, liberalis, tv executives, pagans, homsexuals, the hearing impaired and Michael Moore are all responsible for what has happened. LET OUR RETRIBUTION BE SWIFT

hockmano 7 years, 2 months ago

DMH1983 (Anonymous) says: What the LJW doesn't note is that more than likely, those boys were looking for drugs. I have heard that a resident of that house is an alleged drug dealer.I heard that also from a very reliable source.It seems this whole thing might have been over drugs.It's too bad that two people had to lose their lives over such nonsense, and that the other will lose his freedom.Kids take note.Drugs get you nowhere really fast.

Danielle_Rose 7 years, 2 months ago

JDMC - Roland was the innocent victim here. How was he to know that Hauk didn't have a weapon? You think he is going to stand there and examine the kid who is, in fact, accompanying Jones in theft? Think about it.With all the things you see and hear about in the media, it's truly hard to not feel threatened for your life when this kind of thing occurs. I know for a damn fact if someone randomly broke into my house I'd go all out defensive. My home is where I feel the safest, and if a thief breaches this then he/she is directly threatening my safety. I don't give a damn what the motive was, if someone breaks into my personal space, they are a threat. I wish humans were always rational and nonviolent, but we're not. This is why some people make the decision to act in self defense - even if it means to kill. They do it as a last second attempt to berid of that threat.We are all animals at heart, our instincts are powerful. The fight or flight in our blood rushes when we are afraid, surprised or threatened. That is why things like this happen as a result of a "common robbery" - I don't blame Roland. He was scared. He was threatened. I truly believe he was the victim here. And I still stand by all I said about him earlier. He was a good, solitary, smart person. It's too bad this had to happen. It's too bad that we have so many flaws in our human race. - - -

Dixie Jones 7 years, 2 months ago

my question is why are you all posting on here when its obvious that you are such good detectives. why not go to work for CSI.... ppl we need to remember there are many family members & friends grieving at this time lets not stray from giving everyone close to Roland and Gage our support, thoughts and prayers. R.I.P. Roland and Gage

jdmc 7 years, 2 months ago

if gage was shot inside was there a blood trail leading out to the porch no . if he was shot with his own weapon then why would detectives say he had no weapon no finger prints on the weapons mean he didnt have possesion over the weapons. just because you think you know somebody is a good person doesnt mean anything im definately not saying i new gage well at all we were good friends for a few years and then i only saw him randomly but i know his mother and brothers and they are good people gage very well may have gone to rob this guy but he did not have a gun as of what the detectives say and if he was shot in the house then why was he found on the porch without any blood leading out?

therealAI 7 years, 2 months ago

hmmmm....she doesn't know how her son and Gage met....Well, I for one make a serious point out of knowing who my children's "friends" are. Please.

loki8025 7 years, 2 months ago

WHO CARES? What does it matter? You say you knew him, well I knew him too. Whether he had one or not does not even matter anymore. He went into a house in the middle of the night with the intention of wrong doing. Bodily harm or thievery it doesn't matter. He is just as guilty(dead or not) as if he did pull the trigger. As far as I am concerned he came up with the idea to not only rob the place( or a revenge beating whatever) but the idea to be armed. But knowing him he made the other guy carry the weapon for reasons that" he is underage and he won't get into trouble" crap. Thieving cowards.

brunette7 7 years, 2 months ago

Baille,Maybe I should rephrase. Freedom of the press does mean a story can be reported and published but it doesnt mean that they can give all the details of evidence that is being saved for trial. What I meant by "they print what the general public is allowed to know" is that the police arnt just giving out all the details on a silver platter, so yes they are reporting what they know, which isnt much and then the public will get to know what they know... which again isnt much. I have read several articles about crimes committed that have stated that certain information and evidence isnt allowed to be released at this time or until after the court date. Sure any "rats found in resturant" story will report almost all the details but in this particular case they are definantly not reporting all the details.

littlegrace 7 years, 2 months ago

Time for a reality check. If Gage had not been shot he would have been up on murder charges instead of or right next to Kellam.( Halo & wings now crash to the ground)

loki8025 7 years, 2 months ago

WHY? Why does it matter if he had a gun or not. He might of well have had one. He is as guilty as the Kellum, dead or not.

jdmc 7 years, 2 months ago

detectives said that he didnt have a weapon when they went to tell his family. and since gage was shot with a shotgun more than once im pretty sure there would have been a blood trail.

mandie704 7 years, 2 months ago